Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

The Hurontario corridor study is actually still ongoing...

Detailed plans for the Mississauga are here:
www.mississauga.ca/ecity/...d=10700064

And here is map of the GO's future BRT and rail network, which includes the Mississauga, Yonge, York University and 407 Transitways, and several new train lines.
GOBRT.gif

I always wondered how the transitway was going to be so cheap. I know GO is taking a good chunk of the costs, but the amount requied from each party always seemed way too low (especially compared to how much Viva got for just street service in mixed traffic) After reading the report and seeing how many things aren't included in this funding I can see why it's so cheap. The one thing that threw me is the fact that the transitway is planning on using articulated buses. It makes perfect sense to me seeing as it's suppose to be a major part of the system so big crowds, but I thought that the city has been very anti-articulated in recent years (pulling them from the 19 and 5 for most cases, two routes that could w/o doubt use them most times of the day). I'll admit that I'm upset thought that the portion over the Credit River is being done as the last phase. I imagine the section from Erin Mills east being a very route since it takes forever to get from there to Sq1/Islington. If they actually aiming for the frequencies they've talked about, I imagine that one lane being very backed up, especially with GO Transit looking to increase service too. Oh well, hopefully the back ups will "encourage" them to move faster. It will also be interesting to see how they design the City Centre Station when the possibility of a new City Centre Terminal looming. As well, I wonder if they'll make possible provisions for the possibility of the Hurontario LRT coming to the central terminal or if the Hurontario BRT station will be made to accomadate it. Wow, I never thought I'd be able to talk about BRT and LRT in Mississauga being a possibility. Let's just hope that they both get moving soon.

Yeah the funding is only for the portion of the Mississauga Transitway east of MCC, but where it ends I'm not sure exactly, and honestly I don't know who's going to take it. If it doesn't go to the subway, what's the point?

If it doesn't go to the subway, what's the point?

Even if the transitway itself does not go to the subway, the buses using it still can. GO's York U buses will also use the transitway, even though the transitway itself will not be built all the way to York U yet.

MT will probably also use the transitway to provide express bus service to the Airport. It would be crazy if they didn't.

They are planning to buy 15 buses, which, for example, is enough for a frequent express bus route between South Common/Erin Mills, Square One and Kipling, and another between Square One and the Airport.

Nothing stopping MT from having an express bus to the airport now. Most of the route would be by expressway already.

The 15 extra buses coming this year could all go to Hurontario, and it just might bring that corridor back up to adequate.

Nothing stopping MT from having an express bus to the airport now. Most of the route would be by expressway already.

Except it is not a direct route and there are no stops in between. I'm not saying that MT shouldn't have such a route already, I'm just saying when the transitway is built there will be no excuse not have it.

The 15 extra buses coming this year could all go to Hurontario, and it just might bring that corridor back up to adequate.

Hurontario has been adequate since 5 extra buses were added last year though it could be much better. Maybe three buses for the 19 and one for the 202 will be enough. I actually like to see some extra buses added to Eglinton because it is worse than Hurontario nowadays.

Really? I was expecting Hurontario to be worse because they converted the articulated buses to short ones (of course, I obviously wouldn't know)

Hurontario has been adequate since 5 extra buses were added last year though it could be much better. Maybe three buses for the 19 and one for the 202 will be enough. I actually like to see some extra buses added to Eglinton because it is worse than Hurontario nowadays.

Really!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess the peak loads as well close doors for off peak time mets your adequate standards for the extra 5 buses or the other 3?

What about close doors and bunching that take place south of Sq One at peak time?

202 is a joke as its needs to operate every 12 minutes not the current 19-20 minute headway. Also, the route needs to have one stop add and 3 stops remove to make it work.

What time of the day does Eglinton operates like Hurontario?

Route 7 needs 15 minutes headway now for 7 day of the week.

Route 34 needs better service.

MT will run a service from Kipling to Winston Churchill using 15 minute headway and cut back on 206 along with 26 which is a mistake. Route 26 west of Sq One see 50% less ridership than the east section. Same goes for 206.

This transitway is for GO!!

19 needs to be articulated buses 100%. I asked for 15 more articulated to go along with the plan 35 for this year MT budget as well getting them from VanHool.

To deal with the ridership on 19, headway needs to be every 4 minute at peak and 6 for off peak up to 9.00 pm and then becomes 10 minutes.

Sat would see 6 minutes until 7.00 and becomes 10 minutes for the rest of service.

Sun would see 12 minutes all day with service starting at 6.30 am.

By right, 19 as well 1, 26, 3, 5, 35, 39, 13, 61north of Sq One and 42 needs to be 7X24 service.

19A needs to be cancel or change off at Derry Rd.

To carry the ridership plan for the transitway will not happen for 40 years at best.

Hurontario is especially bad north of Britannia where the service was cut in half in peak/midday due to the 19A split.

I'd add a few more buses to the 202 - say 3 or 4, and make it every 10 minutes, and run midday/early evening service at 15 minutes. That would help the 19 - maybe 2 more. The 9 other buses would be distributed to 1/1C, 26, 7/34, maybe one more to 66 to make that a more attractive 19 alternative.

If Mississauga were to add any 24/7 service, it should be along Hurontario (19) and Dundas (1) first. Then maybe you can do Burnhamthorpe (26) and Dixie (5?) and Mavis (61).

19A definitely needs to be cancelled. It's pointless. And 202 should be all day. The 66 will be interesting once Confederation Parkway is finished. I assume they'll reroute the 66 to go right from the bus terminal down Rathburn to Confederation up to McLaughlin. Makes sense since Hurontario already has ample service. I should think they'll reroute 10 Bristol-Britannia up that way.

As for the Transitway, they should run buses along there express to Kipling. Stop at all the stations from Hurontario to Renforth or whatever, and then take the 427 to Kipling with no stops. That'd be preferable to the 206 and 201.

Press Release

Mississauga Receives Federal Funding for Bus Rapid Transit Program

Mar 06, 2007

The City of Mississauga has received a promise of federal funding toward construction of its Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) program. The announcement was made today at Downsview Park by Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty. Today's announcement calls for the construction of the Mississauga BRT corridor, with both governments committing up to a maximum of $173 million.

Mississauga's BRT is a provincially-planned rapid transit network, designed in conjunction with GO Transit as an exclusive roadway for buses. It will be designed as a bus-only road along Highway 403 and Eastgate Parkway from Winston Churchill Boulevard to Renforth Drive, offering high-speed transit to the GTA's second largest city. Many stations will offer Park 'n' Ride and Kiss-n-Ride features.

"Getting people out of their cars and onto public transit is the only way to reduce automobile emissions and to end gridlock," said Mayor Hazel McCallion. "The federal funding for our BRT Program is welcomed. We still however need a long-term, sustainable, predictable strategy to address the urgent gridlock issues in our city, across the GTA, and in cities across Canada."

While supportive of the federal announcement, Mayor Hazel McCallion urged the federal government to do more by supporting the long-term national transit strategy announced at yesterday's Federation of Canadian Municipalities' (FCM) Big City Mayors' Caucus in Montreal.

"We need an immediate, major infusion of funds to have an immediate impact on the gridlock in the GTA which is increasing every day � more buses on the road, and a major expansion of GO Transit to serve the people," added McCallion.

The estimated cost for Mississauga's portion of the BRT is $259 million, with cost-sharing between the City of Mississauga, GO Transit, the provincial government and the federal government. In 2006, the City of Mississauga received $63 million from the provincial government toward construction of the Mississauga segment of the BRT.

Mississauga will be responsible for construction of the BRT link from Centreview Drive to Hurontario Street, and for the fully grade-separated BRT from Cawthra Road to Renforth Station. Of the federal funding pledged today, $58 million is required from the federal government for Mississauga's portion of the BRT.

"We are really pleased with today's funding announcement from the federal government which will allow us to begin design and construction of the BRT," said Commissioner of Transportation & Works Martin Powell. "We've been ready for some time to move on the BRT. The environmental assessment has been approved by the province and our BRT Project Office is open and ready to go. Today's announcement means that we can begin construction on the BRT, with an expected completion date of 2012, with portions of the BRT in place by 2009."

The City of Mississauga and GO Transit are initiating construction of the Mississauga Segment of the BRT in two key sections: from Winston Churchill to Erin Mills Parkway (BRT West), and from City Centre to Renforth Drive (BRT East). The City of Mississauga will lead construction of BRT East, which will run through the City Centre toward Toronto along the Highway 403/Eglinton Avenue corridor, with service connections into the Bloor subway via Highway 427.

I noticed that they started site work on the Transitway pretty much the day after the announcement! They have setup a construction site office and started clearing the land near the 403/Mavis interchange.

I'm starting to merge the transportation threads when they discuss specific projects. This is the first. Spadina/Sorbara subway, Acceleride, Transit City, etc, will follow.

I noticed that they started site work on the Transitway pretty much the day after the announcement! They have setup a construction site office and started clearing the land near the 403/Mavis interchange.

Only the section east of Square One is going to be constructed now by Mississauga. I don't know what isgiong at 403/Mavis but I don't think it is related to the transitway.

The transitway west of Square One will be taken care of by GO and the section between Erin Mills and Square One is not going to built yet, though GO has funded a modification of Confederation Parkway extension to make room the future transitway. In the meanwhile, the buses will use exclusive lanes on Centre View Drive and the 403 to another transitway between Ridgeway and Erin Mills, where GO is already building the stations at Winston Churchill and Erin Mills/Glen Erin.

Right now GO is also building a station at 407/10 for the future 407 transitway but that is even further down the line. GO will first build the 407 Transitway in York and Toronto as an extension of the Mississauga Transitway. Even the Eglinton transitway has higher priority for GO, but this is before Transit City. The TTC just has to build the Eglinton LRT to Eglinton/Renforth to connect to the Misissauga and 407 Transitways. The GTAA will also extend the Airport People Mover to Eglinton/Renforth.

407/10 is a "BRT" station, and GO is using that term somewhat loosely to describe buses on expressways. McMaster is a "BRT" station as well, so they are not necessarily a bus shelter in a parking lot. 407/10, I hope, will become a minor transit hub connecting GO's 407, Georgetown-Union service, as well as BT 2 and 52 and MT's 19 and 15 (even the 53?), though I'd hate to see this done and then MT pull out of Shoppers World (where there are a lot more BT buses and a bigger trip generator).

That said, I am going to learn to stop worrying so much about this particular project, even though I think there are better ideas. It's turning out to be a more slowly implemented project, and some aspects are reasonable. I just want to get this out of the way to fix Hurontario with some LRT.

Back