Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

So, picking up where planning left off in 1992 eh? I 100% agree.

DOw8Mo3W0AABfQe.jpg

Exactly, it would bring really east to west rapid transit for the centre of Mississauga. Right now the centre is a poor attempt at that. The ridership has been good and can be better with the “Missing Centre”. One day in 50 or 100 years the land around it will be so valueable that the hydro corridor will be put underground. Then there will be high density development around it but for now, the “Missing Centre” should be addressed.

We know the Milton corridor and the missing link wont happen for another decade. City should focus on what can we attained in a shorter time horizon.

Hi all, we are planning to buy a house somewhere in East credit area next year & wanted to know your view on overall living, neighbourhood, etc. if it is good to buy here....

thanks a Mil

Reactions: jys
Now that everything is complete, when are they going to get serious and address the centre gap between Hurontario and Mavis. How can you leave the most central part of the city without there own dedication lanes. No mavis station. Creditview seems like a no brainer especially if it had a walkway to the Go Station there. The craziest part is... there seems like there is little interest from the city to address this gap....

This should be the number 2 priority behind Hurontario LRT. Focus on completing existing rapid transit then look at Dundas BRT. Your 80% there, why not finish it. Then you can say you have an actual rapid transit backbone going east and west and north to south with LRT.

Just my 2 cents
It has always boil down to money and Miss is not that keen spending money on it the first place, regardless how they talk about transit these days. That why a lot of stuff got gutted in the end.

The whole section from Erin Mills to the City centre was removed not only because of cost, but NIMBY folks, especially the retirement home site at Mississauga Rd and a reason the station was removed for that location. The whole thing was to cost $186 million in 2004 dollars based on what they plan, while I call for $300 million. Then this BRT is a GO Thing, not a Miss thing in the first place.

There is no need for most of Dundas to be a full blown BRT ROW, since the ridership falls off the table west of Mavis in the first place. Nothing in Halton for decades for an ROW.

When one looks at 109, the ridership is west of Sq One and service the long haul riders. Anyone going to/from the east to/from Toronto are only saving about 6 minutes on a good day over the local routes, as well being offer better headway

Hi all, we are planning to buy a house somewhere in East credit area next year & wanted to know your view on overall living, neighbourhood, etc. if it is good to buy here....

thanks a Mil
Need to be more clear on the location before one can comment on your request and have no idea where East Credit is as well knowing the city very well. I have an idea where you maybe looking, but can't comment without a bitter square area.

Reactions: jys

thanks a Mil
Unfortunately I don't live in that area, so I can't comment on how good the neighbourhood is. I would recommend driving through the neighbourhood and looking it up on Google Maps to see the amenities available(community centre, library, grocery stores e.t.c.). As @drum118 suggested, it would be nice if you can narrow it down a bit.
If you are concerned with education then your agent can probably provide you with that data. If you just don't have one yet then you could probably consult this webpage(it's the official website for Peel District School Board). As for public transit, anything you can't find on Google Maps you can probably consult the Miway System Map. Hope that helps. :)

Unfortunately I don't live in that area, so I can't comment on how good the neighbourhood is. I would recommend driving through the neighbourhood and looking it up on Google Maps to see the amenities available(community centre, library, grocery stores e.t.c.). As @drum118 suggested, it would be nice if you can narrow it down a bit.
If you are concerned with education then your agent can probably provide you with that data. If you just don't have one yet then you could probably consult this webpage(it's the official website for Peel District School Board). As for public transit, anything you can't find on Google Maps you can probably consult the Miway System Map. Hope that helps. :)
You made a point that I have said in the past, drive around the area at least a mile or so to see what is in the area that good or bad and in some cases, it needs to be more. You need to look at the area during the week and weekend at various time.

Maps are good to a point, but ground level says a lot more. Depending on the age of children, don't be surprise to see them bus outside the area with some having to use local transit.

Your agent should know the area very well and should provide good insight of the area, and if not, need to find a new one. If buying from a sales office, ask a lot of questions, since most are only interested in selling you X and not telling you the fully story.

I can supply more info, if I have more info pertaining to an area and will not beat around the bush on it.

thanks a Mil

know the area really well cuz i used to live nearby and have a ton of friends there. I mean its nice if ur looking for a suburb, good access to shopping and highways, transit access isn't terrible but definietley not as good as in the east side of the city and toronto.

thanks a Mil

Need to be more clear on the location before one can comment on your request and have no idea where East Credit is as well knowing the city very well. I have an idea where you maybe looking, but can't comment without a bitter square area.

I grew up in East Credit. The location is pretty much in the name. It’s the area to the east of the Credit River between the 403 and 401, and includes Heartland.

I have nothing bad to say about the area tbh. Great place to raise a family. Transit access isn’t the best, though being close to the 401, 407, 403 and 410 is convenient if you drive. My parents are still there and have no plans to leave as they enter they get closer to retirement.

I grew up in East Credit. The location is pretty much in the name. It’s the area to the east of the Credit River between the 403 and 401, and includes Heartland.

I have nothing bad to say about the area tbh. Great place to raise a family. Transit access isn’t the best, though being close to the 401, 407, 403 and 410 is convenient if you drive. My parents are still there and have no plans to leave as they enter they get closer to retirement.

x2

Vancouver never has fare-gates and it's SkyTrain POP system worked well. The stations are just largely marked as a "fare paid zone" and the same can be done on the outside of the stations in the boarding area............you are not allowed to wait for the bus unless you have already paid your fare or have a Presto card. Not rocket science and costs nearly nothing. Vancouver does this on it's B-Line buses with POP/all door boarding as it's NA's busiest bus route and believe it or not the vast majority of people are honest and even the one's who aren't are loath to be embarrassed enough to get caught without their fare being paid.

While I know Skytrain is indeed profitable I was looking for "more tickets were sold"

I really wasn't aware that Canada had any profitable public transit. Some speculate the TTC subway is......but it is just one component of a system that, overall, isn't......and others doubt it would/could be profitable without the subsidized surface routes feeding it......so no part of the whole should be measured on a standalone basis.

Good for VCR if their system is profitable.

There were also massive amounts more profits from selling fares once gates were closed so the assumption is that actually ALOT were cheating.

^SkyTrain is profitable?

While I know Skytrain is indeed profitable I was looking for "more tickets were sold"

I really wasn't aware that Canada had any profitable public transit. Some speculate the TTC subway is......but it is just one component of a system that, overall, isn't......and others doubt it would/could be profitable without the subsidized surface routes feeding it......so no part of the whole should be measured on a standalone basis.

The SkyTrain is not profitable. It has a farebox recovery ratio of 57%. TTC, in comparison, has a ratio of 76%. A profitable system would have a farebox recovery ratio >100%.

http://www.comparetranslink.ca/#sthash.2l5V07Vx.dpbs

Edit: TransLink has a farebox recovery ratio of 57%. SkyTrain is just part of TransLink, so I suppose it is possible that component of SkyTrain is profitable. However, I haven't been able to find any source to back up that claim. SkyTrain is integrated with TransLink in a similar fashion the subways are integrated with the TTC, so I doubt it is even possible to determine the profitability of SkyTrains alone.

I read somewhere that the Eglinton bus wasn't profitable, and neither was the King streetcar, which implies that most if not all surface routes are a burden to the transit system. If this is true (noting that I don't remember the source), then it's very likely that the Yonge line, Bloor-Danforth line, and University-Spadina line between Union and Eglinton West are profitable. If we factor in only operating costs, we have electricity, drivers fees, and maintenance (there is a lot more but this is a basic analysis). We'll assume rush hour times and give the cost per train hour of work.

A typical TR train uses 3,100 kW of electricity when travelling at maximum power output. Normally this doesn't happen, and when the trains are breaking, they generate electricity for the system. We'll assume 2,000 kW of electricity are used on average, and the price of electricity is 13.2 cents per kWh during peak times. We'll assume this to be conservative. In total, a train uses 264$ of electricity per hour. There are two crew members on each train that need to be paid. Unionised workers probably work for around 30-45$ an hour. We'll assume 37.5$. Times two, we have 75$ an hour. In terms of maintenance, we'll assume it's the same as the cost of electricity. In total, we have the running cost of each train being $603 per train hour of work on Lines 1 and 2. Line 4 trains will have a cost of $407 (1,400 kW and 1 operator).

If we look at line 2, an average of about 30 trains are needed throughout the day, Line 1 requires about 40, and Line 4 requires 4. Assuming a day is 19 hours in length for the TTC, Line 1 uses $459,990 per day, Line 2 uses $343,710, and Line 4 uses $38, 665.

Assuming half an individual's fare counts for the subway journey (about 1/3 of subway users (probably more) don't require TTC surface transit, while some surface transit users require 2-3 buses, so it balances out), multiplying by the subway's average daily ridership, we find that Line 1 has $644, 640 in leftover revenue to cover other expenses (station and tunnel maintenance, with electricity being the biggest factor) Line 2: $422,220, and Line 4: $34, 940.

If we divide this by the length of the lines, we get for Line 1: $15,231, Line 2: $16,115, and Line 4: $6,353.

If we do it by station, the costs are: Line 1: $20, 145, Line 2: $14, 074 and Line 4: $6,988.

Noting that Sheppard's is about half of Line 2, but one must consider that Line 4's stations have fewer staff (fewer entrances), less cleaning requirements (fewer people), and are newer (maintenance is a much lower cost). Noting that $7000 buys you 53,030 kWh of electricity at peak rates, and the only real costs are lamps (which won't cost more than a few hundred dollars a day to operate), and station clerk salaries are at $30 an hour for 19 hours, that totals $570 for the day. Escalators don't use that much electricity either; only about 100 kWh per day each. Compare that to the 50,000 kWh available each day at peak rates, it's nothing, even for a station like Don Mills with 10 or so escalators. In summary, operating cost are pretty much covered for the Sheppard subway and therefore, all other subways in the system. Was there anything I missed?

EDIT: I forgot to consider transferring subway passengers, so rates for the Sheppard subway are actually significantly increased. In reality, revenue for that line should only be around 55,000-60,000$ (It's average daily ridership (~50,000 - 45,000 (transferring individuals))*2 (since these riders are likely to only be travelling along the Sheppard subway and the Sheppard subway only). 10,000 + 45,000 =55,000. There are other factors but these are difficult to calculate (ie, how much someone uses the Yonge subway over the Sheppard subway, and not all people going to Sheppard Yonge are actually transferring to the Sheppard Line). If we assume 55,000$ in revenue, that leaves us with $16,335$ or ~$3,250 per station. Noting collector fees leave us with about $2,750 per station to cover costs of electricity and maintenance, which is plenty for electricity, and since the Sheppard subway needs barely any maintenance, for the time being, we can assume that it covers those costs as well.

Last edited:

Back