Toronto Mirabella Condominiums | 120m | 38s | Mirabella Dev Corp | Scott Shields

When this building is done the masses are going to say. What a beautiful looking building love the precast columns and mirrored glazed windows ! !

how come this building and the one next to it have above ground parking? is it a water table issue? NXT right next door has below grade parking (though that one sits north of the gardiner and has water leakage issues in their parking garage as it's being rebuilt.
Kinda answered your own question there, eh?

i'm not an expert at this stuff, it's just what i assume. was hoping for confirmation. there are buildings closer to the water that have underground parking so it's a little confusing to me.
West of the Humber, most of those buildings are being/have been built into the underlying shale. Where Mirabella and Park Lake are is fill, however, with the shale much further down. Waaaay back when, there wasn't much more than sandbars between Grenadier Pond (and other now-disappeared ponds) and Lake Ontario, so most everything south of The Queensway (and even some north of it) in that area is pretty much new, high water table land.

Why is this podium so hulkingly large?

The proportions aren't the issue imo. Pompidou Centre has similar proportions, for instance. Like everything, it comes down to architecture, design, quality, details, etc. That's where I fear this will fall down. The renderings promise typical Toronto style shlock.

The proportions aren't the issue imo. Pompidou Centre has similar proportions, for instance. Like everything, it comes down to architecture, design, quality, details, etc. That's where I fear this will fall down. The renderings promise typical Toronto style shlock.

Again this is very subjective, but based on the Architectural Drawings submitted as a part of the SPA, the materials & finishes identified are anything BUT shlock. That said, execution is another thing. To me shlock is the standard glass that we see everywhere, and I am not saying that one cannot design a beautiful glass building.

I do share some of the reservations on massing. I feel the towers needed to be taller to balance the podium bulk and the larger floor plate.

Attachments

• viewSupportingDoc-3.Pdf
    10.8 MB · Views: 326
Last edited:
As Oct 4, 2020
IMG_1416.jpg
IMG_1417.jpg
IMG_1419.jpg

Currently casting the 10th fl slab (aka Amenity Floor) which has the two swimming pools (one in each tower), which is why you can see the additional structural support in the elevation photo above (top right).
Actually I was looking at the renderings closely, and the renderings also match the SPA drawings (2018) in terms of podium height...see mark-up below...Kinda weird that the elevation bands don't match the parking floor slabs which one can see behind the glass...

7276-86054-2.jpeg

Back