Hamilton McMaster Graduate Student Residence | 97.9m | 30s | Knightstone | Diamond Schmitt

IMG_0414.jpeg

This is only one of a few " architecturally elevated" designs to hit our city with the recent boom. I hope we see many more striking designs and high towers hit our city over the next decade. This will look stunning when complete, I can't wait to see how the light will play off it.

I mean, they won't be. This won't be accepting students this academic year.
They had indicated the plan was to have students living here in the fall semester with full completion in January. Has this changed? I didn't see that announced or communicated anywhere.

"In a statement to The Spectator, McMaster spokesperson Wade Hemsworth said the building will see its first residents move in ahead of the coming fall term, with construction set to be complete by January 2024."

Last I heard a month or two ago the developer was still planning for partial occupancy by September. At the rate they are going, it may just be a few floors, and I too share the doubt..

They don't have to announce it. Just look at the recent images from yourself and @innsertnamehere...
I mean that's fair. I was just curious because it seems they really wanted to have students in here for September. It's odd because they moved along so quickly, but then don't seem able to meet the deadlines. Imagine if they'd gone as fast as was needed. Even Cobalt isn't done till next year.

It looks to me that they are trying to rush and get the ground floor, and at least 10 floors done and ready to go. Those students will be living in a construction zone for a while.

One additional criticism I will make is that the green electrical boxes were placed above ground fronting Bay, which I'm not a fan of personally. I hope they're at least covered by some kind of nice box.

Last I heard a month or two ago the developer was still planning for partial occupancy by September. At the rate they are going, it may just be a few floors, and I too share the doubt..
This being student residences (albeit Grad student "luxury") they will most likely move in students as they are finishing it up. Even though it currently doesn't look like it I could see them getting partial occupancy by Sept like you said. In the development industry they know students are more likely to put up with construction mess than say purchasers of luxury condos. I just hope they have a good fit/finish and don't cut corners by attempting to speed things up near the end.

Nothing worse than builders/developers quickly trying to finish a building and then you have a brand new building with deficiencies or worse, "failures".
For the worst possible case scenario see also: The disaster that (N)Evertrust Development from Markham has wreaked on both their Niagara Falls (needs millions in repairs) and Welland (2 collapses under construction!) condo projects

GTA developer behind collapsed condo in Welland, Ont., facing $10M lawsuit for issues at other condo​

Last edited:
Sidewalk getting ripped up, I'm assuming to start work on forming new sidewalks, and completion of the exterior hardscaping for the landscaping plan (I believe it was pavers and such) I'll see if I can find the plans back.

Edit: found them. Seems the sidewalk will be relocated further from the road with something between that includes planted trees.
IMG_20230802_143219.jpg
IMG_20230802_143219.jpg

I sure hope those trees are in the ground with robust protective cages. Always frustrating to see trees planted without a fighting chance. I've seen this design in Toronto and assume it's better as trees are in the ground (vs. planter) with some space around the trunk instead of just poking out of a hole. I'm no expert though.

Picture is from here
Screen Shot 2023-08-06 at 8.27.36 PM.png

Exterior cladding is speeding up quite a bit. For whatever reason another mature tree and possibly more was pulled out along Bay St N for no particular reason at the last leg of this project. No photo of that unfortunately.

IMG_20230809_102242.jpg

Got a picture of where the tree used to be. They're forming a new garden bed here, with perhaps a spot for a new tree? But I'm not sure why the tree needed to be replaced. It was healthy and could have been built around

IMG_20230809_131718.jpg

Last edited:
This is looking great so far! Also is SkyscraperPage done? I'm getting this "The SkyscraperPage Forum database has encountered a problem."

Back