Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

What amazes me with the above layout is the amount of space allocated to the balcony, a space few use extensively. I'd rather have no balcony and have that space for internal use. My condo has no balcony and the former sunroom was long converted into a larger living room which suits me perfectly.

I kinda wish the back of it (on victoria I think) could have bee similar to the front, whcih I think has some great treatment of the balconies. Def in my top 10 buildings that I am looking forward to seeing completed.

The east side facing Victoria Street will have the same treatment as the west and south sides. It's only the north side that will not feature the ribbon balconies.

To be fair, in places like New Zealand, a typical 3 bedroom house is ~70-80 sq. m
That probably more closely matches North American home sizes from a couple of generations ago, too. I think eventually with rising property and energy costs, we will revert back to smaller average house sizes here, too.

Imagine though, that just by adding a little more space, say half of unit 13, you would have a much more live able space

The developer would have a little less profit.

null_zps78454229.png

If I'm going to combine units for a growing family I'd rather go up down than side to side. Less likely to effect the structural integrity of the structure too.

What amazes me with the above layout is the amount of space allocated to the balcony, a space few use extensively.

That's probably precisely the point. Most balconies are so puny that they're rendered useless. You have to make a balcony a decent size if you want it to be used by people. Either build a proper balcony or not at all. Looks like Massey Tower will have a few proper balconies: a rarity in Toronto.

Last edited:
Imagine though, that just by adding a little more space, say half of unit 13, you would have a much more live able space

The developer would have a little less profit.

null_zps78454229.png

If one wanted to enlarge suite 12, the logical route would be to take the full unit 13 and create a corner two-bedroom suite of 818 SF. Taking half of 13 leaves a residual space of about 220 SF, which is not viable on its own and would have to be added to suite 14, which would make that suite about 830 SF, kind of large for a north-facing suite.

It's not a question about the developer making less profit; it's about creating suites that are affordable and can sell.

Last edited:
Somewhat related tot his discussion about livable suite sizes/what the market will bear...

King Blue, which as been slow in moving units broke up a corner 750 sq ft 1 bed + den that was not selling at all into two units: studio of 300 sq ft and a tiny 450 sq ft 1 bedroom to attract more investors. The result? The units (especially the studios) went like hot cakes. Smart House at Queen/University (mostly these 300-500 sq ft micro units) has also done very well in pre sales, ditto for most of the small studios/1 beds in One Park Place South at Regent Park.

It's not about bigger units right now investors/speculators want small cheap units. The builders can sell two small units at 400 sq ft versus one 800 sq ft unit. I'm not saying this is right but this is the current state of the pre con market and unfortunately this does not look like things will change anytime soon. Another thing about these small micro units is that lenders are getting more cautious about financing them, this will be something to watch moving forward in 2014 and beyond

Last edited:
Looking in that, but I believe that's out-of-date. This building was approved by Council.

Looking in that, but I believe that's out-of-date. This building was approved by Council.

The actual by-laws were passed at the November meeting though, so it's possible someone would have appealed in December within the appeal period timeline. If you call them up with the case number you can find out who appealed and the nature of the appeal.
http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2013.MM41.16
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/bylaws/2013/law1522.pdf

Last edited:

Back