Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

What paying no respect to a heritage building may look like:

urbantoronto-5275-16400.jpg

By: thecharioteer (http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2012/04/heritage-property-197-yonge-being-restored-massey-towers-lobby)

urbantoronto-5275-16401.jpg

By: thecharioteer (http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2012/04/heritage-property-197-yonge-being-restored-massey-towers-lobby)

urbantoronto-5275-16402.jpg

Welp, might as well tear the sucker down...

In other threads re: sales it has been mentioned they are at or above the coveted 70% mark.

Other sites are struggling apparently (Monde, 60 Colborne, Tux - now on hold), but this one has done well enough thus far.

I've been advised that it's only at just over 50% sold as of the end of August.

It would appear that the days of an almost instant 70% sales mark being announced are over.

178 VICTORIA ST
Site Plan Approval 12 256738 STE 27 SA Ward 27
- Tor & E.York Oct 2, 2012 Under Review Oct 2, 2012 Commercial Henstock, Sarah
416-392-7196
A site plan approval application to permit alterations to the existing heritage designate building in "Massy Hall" for the purposes of a 2 storey glazed walk way fronting on the east and west elevations of the building and a 6 storey addition to the rear of the existing building for back of house operations.

Interesting news - thanks for the post. I wonder what do they meant re: 2 storey glazed walkway. Speaking of which...a now expired job posting for the Director of Major Gifts @ Massey and Roy Thompson Hall have this to say:

The Massey Hall Revitalization Project
Massey Hall occupies a special place in both the historic and the cultural life of Toronto. For over a hundred years it has been a venue for an extraordinary range of performances and presentations, including many that have become iconic or legendary events. The Hall has engendered a unique loyalty across generations of performers and patrons. Declared a heritage venue in the 1970s, Massey Hall remains a vital part of Toronto’s cultural and entertainment scene.
While Massey Hall is a familiar and inviting environment, its physical space limitations, a lack of audience amenities and modern day concert production equipment, plus the effects of time have made it necessary to launch a major renovation. In January 2012 Toronto’s MOD Development Inc announced the purchase of 197-201 Yonge Street, a 20,000 square foot site adjacent to Massey Hall. A portion of the site will be donated to Massey Hall to enable an expansion of the existing building to the South.
The capital campaign is in its planning phase. The Directors of Major Gifts, Individual and Corporate and Foundation Giving will have the opportunity to influence and inform the strategy of the Campaign operating plan.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...+hall+revitalization&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

The walkways are meant to connect the seating areas at the north end of the building to new lounges (to pass time in buying drinks and nibbly bits during intermission) to be built above ground level and cantilevered off the walls. Being designed by Marianne McKenna at KPMB.

Perhaps padded seats instead of wooden one's in the balcony could be upgraded?! Seriously though, Massey Hall is my favorate music venue in the city, bar-none. I hope they keep the new areas somewhat discrete and do them well, I so dislike the added spaces at the Elgin & Wintergarden complex, as necessary as they are.

i42:

Wowzer...insider info? From what you've said, and the general lack of space on both the east and western edge of the site - does that mean it will cantilever above the laneway/street? Hopefully they will reno the Moorish ceiling and soundproof the stained glass windows as well.

AoD

Last edited:
The renovation will include the restoration of the interior of Massey Hall. The new lounges will cantilever above the laneway that provides access to the back of Massey Condos, Elgin / Winter Garden, etc.

"An added complication, but an aspect that helps bring life into the entire block, was the decision to give Massey Hall the below- and above-grade rights to the piece of our property behind them on Victoria Street. This gift will finally allow them to do a much-needed addition to the Hall and bring the building up to current standards (as well as restore the 1894 interior)."
-Interview with Gary Switzer of MOD Developments

Back