Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

I guess it's a matter of taste, I liked the initial rendering a lot more. The design of the mechanical looks a bit too bold for my liking. As for benefits, the major one I can think of is the restoration of the bank (despite it being tuned into a condo lobby). The major downside to this project (as well as many others like it on Yonge) is the added stress to the Yonge subway line, and in this case the 501 Queen route as well. On the plus side, pushing those transit lines beyond their capacity would probably become a catalyst for new subway lines. Then again, all the tenants of these new buildings will hopefully just walk or bike to work.

You've missed something. The namesake. There is a major refurbishment of Massey Hall called for in this development. The hall was once known as a top-five acoustic on planet earth. This has been a long time coming, and it comes alongside a host of other benefits for the city, including the repurposing of some historic frontages on Yonge. This development is awesome. I personally love the tower's architecture, it's a nod to what's across the street.

Last edited:
I guess it's a matter of taste, I liked the initial rendering a lot more. The design of the mechanical looks a bit too bold for my liking. As for benefits, the major one I can think of is the restoration of the bank (despite it being tuned into a condo lobby). The major downside to this project (as well as many others like it on Yonge) is the added stress to the Yonge subway line, and in this case the 501 Queen route as well. On the plus side, pushing those transit lines beyond their capacity would probably become a catalyst for new subway lines. Then again, all the tenants of these new buildings will hopefully just walk or bike to work.

Wouldn't condos in North York or the other suburbs do far more to increase stress on the Yonge line than condos downtown? As you noted, most people who live in Massey Tower will be able walk or bike to work, whereas people coming into the core from the suburbs have no choice but to drive or take transit. Riding from Finch Station into the core everyday, I notice that south of Bloor, there are almost always more people getting off the train than getting on. The real crunch of people happens between Finch and St. Clair.

Last edited:
Celebrate Yonge yesterday:

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

Last edited:
What a wonderful moment.....the regeneration of this area seems to be truly at hand after an 'eternity' of neglect following the demise of the Colonial Tavern.

After seeing those pictures I could truly say that yonge st has a lot of potential...when taken care of...has been neglected for sooo long...all it needs is some TLC!!!!!

I am very excited for this one! I'm curious for some recent information regarding sales and when they plan to start construction. This will be a great addition to the skyline.

Totally disagree. One heritage building is being completely untouched while the other is being saved from degradation (and ultimately demolition or destruction) due to disuse. Furthermore, the only reason that parkette is now beautiful is because the developer prettied it up a couple weeks ago in order that their condo sales centre wouldn't look like it was adjacent to a dirty vacant lot. Without this condo it would still be an empty lot surrounded by a chain-link fence.

This tower will bring heritage preservation, retail, density and beautiful architecture to Yonge, and is, in my opinion, the ideal scenario for this property and the city.

The idea that these buildings would have been demolished without this development is pure speculation. Also, the parkette could have easily been relandscaped for very little money by the city, so that point is silly.

Frankly, the buildings might as well be demolished, for all the respect this development is giving them (none). If your ideal scenario includes building a palace for the rich to look down on their minions, then yes, I guess this is the ideal scenario.

The idea that these buildings would have been demolished without this development is pure speculation. Also, the parkette could have easily been relandscaped for very little money by the city, so that point is silly.

Frankly, the buildings might as well be demolished, for all the respect this development is giving them (none). If your ideal scenario includes building a palace for the rich to look down on their minions, then yes, I guess this is the ideal scenario.

It's reasoned speculation. We've seen the same scenario play out in this city many times; abandoned or poorly kept heritage buildings destroyed by neglect and disuse. If you look back in this thread, you'll find that such a scenario coming to pass was a real fear that many forumers here shared. And that parkette is privately owned land, so suggesting that it could have been relandscaped by the city is in fact silly. The developer is responsible for the park now being presentable.

To your point about this building be a "palace for the rich", I'm not sure how to respond to that. The building is mid-range, but even if it were a luxury product, what exactly would your problem be with that?

Just curious, what kind of development, in your mind, would pay these two heritage buildings their due respect?

I have nothing wrong with projects like the Massey Tower being constructed; what I DO have an issue with is the lack of affordable housing being created in downtown Toronto (and the city/province at large) and the lack of government involvement in ensuring that the city stays mixed-income.

I have nothing wrong with projects like the Massey Tower being constructed; what I DO have an issue with is the lack of affordable housing being created in downtown Toronto (and the city/province at large) and the lack of government involvement in ensuring that the city stays mixed-income.

I'd also like there to be more affordable housing downtown, but even exclusively market driven condos like Massey Tower do add to the overall supply of housing downtown, which will ultimately lower the cost. So this is still a positive development from that point of view.

I'm confused by this quote. There isn't any obvious way to create newly constructed downtown affordable housing - unless plumbing, air conditioning etc left out. Labour costs, materials, land costs are unavoidable. So affordable housing must mean either old, non prime area, small, shared or subsidized. Subsidizing doesn't lower the cost, it just shifts the cost to others.

Ramako is right, an over supply can help but that isn't a great solution either because owners get hurt by falling prices.

I'd also like there to be more affordable housing downtown, but even exclusively market driven condos like Massey Tower do add to the overall supply of housing downtown, which will ultimately lower the cost. So this is still a positive development from that point of view.

Affordable housing is being built downtown albeit not enough, I can think of three off the top of my head. Forget about what's happening at Regent Park as that's a community going through a massive rebuild, a renovation was done from market rentals to affordable housing at Mutual & Carlton, there's King & River being built and 125 Queen's Wharf is nearing completion. That's about 800 units right there, many of them 3 & 4 bedrooms apartments.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might disagree with me, but my opinion is certainly not dumb. I've basically stopped posting here because there is such a skewed, high schoolish perspective that prevails.

You might disagree with me, but my opinion is certainly not dumb. I've basically stopped posting here because there is such a skewed, high schoolish perspective that prevails.

Well I certainly can't think of a better work to describe it. At the very best you seem to be woefully uninformed.

For starters it only involves the one heritage building, not both. And you think a near full interior restoration is so terrible that you'd rather it be town down completely? How nonsensical is that. This place had been left to rot, there aren't much better alternatives to what we're getting. Nice things cost money, perhaps you should have purchased and funded a restoration that was to your liking. But I guess then you'd have to be rich, and it's clear from your post how you feel about that group.

And do you realize you called the non-rich (those being "looked down on") minions? You know that's not a flattering term right?

Yes, after further analysis I stand firmly behind my initial 'dumbest' categorization. Oh and I'd further argue that stomping your feet, picking up your crayons and going home is more of a high schoolish perspective.

Last edited:

Back