Toronto Market Wharf | 110.33m | 33s | Context Development | a—A

From many viewpoints the podium isn't seen so there would be no connection with brick along the cap of the roof, I think the spandrel is fine. Market Wharf is an absolute knockout success from top to bottom.

looking north....
DSCF8369-2.jpg

The podium also does a great job integrating with the urban fabric of nearby buildings along the Esplanade.

I wonder how the neigbhbourhood is liking it. I am thinking SLNA(St. Lawrence Neighbourhood Association) and other sundry groups. They were against a parking lot, a standalone Shoppers, and a tall condo. They got a tall condo. I regret that George Brown wasnt active in the market when this came to market. Would have been a great use for the site. Dont get me wrong, I love the building and the use. I have good cause to do so.

I love it. It's nice not having to schlep over to Yonge to go to Shoppers. It's made the walk down to Queen's Quay nicer. I can't wait until the tower is fully occupied and there are more people around in the hood.

I wonder how the neigbhbourhood is liking it. I am thinking SLNA(St. Lawrence Neighbourhood Association) and other sundry groups. They were against a parking lot, a standalone Shoppers, and a tall condo. They got a tall condo. I regret that George Brown wasnt active in the market when this came to market. Would have been a great use for the site. Dont get me wrong, I love the building and the use. I have good cause to do so.

The SLNA were certainly opposed to a separate Shoppers - the first proposal - and are generally opposed to above ground parking. I think the tower was seen as fine because it is at the south end of the block and the "architecture' is clearly superior. All-in-all I think that people in the neighbourhood approve of it.

I love this building - but the treatment of the portion running along Jarvis leaves a lot to be desired - it's dark, canyon-esque (as mentioned by others above) and pretty dismal at the moment. I'll wait for everything to be cleaned up to re-evaluate but I did have a negative experience there - a homeless man with a sharp object demand change from me and on account of the sidewalk enclosure and traffic I didn't have a lot of options in terms of which way to go. Luckily I had a few coins on hand..

This is one of those locations for which I do demand street-level retail the entire length of the building. It really should continue south along Jarvis (instead of ending where Shoppers ends) as a nod towards the retail and neighbourhood developing south of the Gardiner. Right now there's retail in the form of Shoppers but as you walk south of Shoppers on Jarvis, the streetscape sort of "gives up".

Back