Toronto Market Street Redevelopment | ?m | 2s | Woodcliffe | Taylor Smyth

Why would granite look better ... I like the contrast the white concrete gives to be honest.

Why would granite look better ... I like the contrast the white concrete gives to be honest.

Granite always looks better because it allows for precisely defining the texture of the pavement, the sheen and colour, as well as the size and shape of the slabs. Poured concrete is a monolithic surface that just fades to an unremarkable, smooth grey with no sheen after a couple of years. Poured concrete therefore has associations of cheapness and banality as a paving material.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5E 1M6

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 13 197745 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Jul 3, 2013

Project: Retail Store Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal for interior alterations to existing vacant space (unit #8) to create new retail store - "Olive & Olives"

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5E 1M6

Application#: 13 197745 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Jul 3, 2013

Project: Retail Store Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal for interior alterations to existing vacant space (unit #8) to create new retail store - "Olive & Olives"

See: http://www.oliveolives.com/en/about-us/founders.html for info on O & O

Walked by here yesterday on my lunch break - was surprised to see that they've allowed cars to park on one side of the street. This leaves only a narrow lane for cars passing through, and no remaining space for pedestrians on the street itself. So pedestrians are really restricted to the sidewalk, like any other street.

The street does look great though, and I'm happy to see the city doing this type of thing to its streets and investing in the St. Lawrence Market vicinity. But I didn't really understand how this street is all that different than any other street, except that the sidewalk is level with the street and the sidewalk separated from traffic with bollards. It actually looked more like a lane with no sidewalks where they carved out a safe area for pedestrians by use of the bollards. Perhaps I need to go back on a Saturday to better appreciate how the street is supposed to function...

Application: Sign Permit Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5E 1M6

Application#: 13 203500 SGN 00 SP Accepted Date: Jul 12, 2013

Project: First Party New

Description: To erect and display one non-illuminated wall sign, in conjunction with a restaurant. **Bindia India Bistro**

Cell phone shot from today. I hate uploading these but its my own fault for leaving the camera at home:

UYreq0K.jpg

Does anyone know what the double row of bollards are for? They look a little odd.

I suspect that it is to provide a demarcation of the area to be used as sidewalk and the area to be used for an outdoor cafe or market.

I love the look of these pavers. At first glance it looks like a scene from Europe. I wish that they would use these as the standard paving material for all of the St. Lawrence Market area and eventually extending to other parts of downtown all the way up to Yorkville.

Last edited:
I hope they remove the bollards eventually. They're going to start getting scuffed, rusted and bent and end up looking like the ones you see in parking lots or loading docks.

The outer bollards on the west side can be removed and I've seen them do it. The ones on the inside (which form the outer edge of patios) are fixed.

We barely use bollards in this city, but when we do, we overuse them as this example clearly illustrates. This is complete overkill!

Toronto should design a specific a Toronto bollard(s) and begin to place them in locations where appropriate.

Back