Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

A little bit old but still interesting with a video to boot.

http://video.concretepumping.com/view_video.php?viewkey=136124592c8d4825a06f

PumpCrete pumped 2,400 cu. yds on a transfer slab on the 11th floor of the new Maple Leaf Square building in Toronto. To do this we set a 40 foot freestanding tower and placing boom on the floor below beside the slab and pumped to it with our 52 meter Schwing pump. I think it's another industry first for us. All this in 16 hours with a single Schwing pump.

Sick video and great song, even if Gavin is a Douche.

Does anyone know why they needed to lay the floor this way instead of using crane lifted concrete tubs?

3224138033_d7b2cd10c0_b.jpg

from Jim U at www.flickr.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimu/3224138033/sizes/l/

beautiful. we've got a mini skyline extending from the core, it's a nice compliment. i can't wait until that bay off-ramp is demolished and replaced with a park.

beautiful. we've got a mini skyline extending from the core, it's a nice compliment. i can't wait until that bay off-ramp is demolished and replaced with a park.

If you're referring to 120 harbour st. I think that's unlikely to be made into a park as the city is trying to sell the land.

I believe he is referring to the circular Bay St. offramp whose demolition the city has considered. 120 Harbor is visible in that shot as well though.

I think barrytron3030 is referring to the 'loop' off-ramp from the Gardiner to York Street, the property is currently addressed as 100 Queens Quay West

YorkHarbour.jpg

exactly, the loop. i believe the idea to demolish the ramp came up about the same time as the idea to ditch the gardiner east of jarvis. i'm guessing the council is still bickering/ studying the project, but funding is way off so i don't see either of these projects happening for quite some time. shame though, with all this new development, including mls and the waterfront, dismantling those parts of the gardiner would invigorate the neighbourhood.

Where would all that traffic go to Barry? I'm not a big fan of cars myself but treating Bay street as Car Free sundays in Kensington seems a tad weak.

I think we should keep the Gardiner. I grew up a stones throw away and watched an elevated highway get demolished into a 6 lane highway at ground grade. It is now harder to cross and there hasn't been all that much new development. I think new ideas new to be applied to this argument and a new approach to the Gardiner dilemma. Maybe beautify it?

The Gardiner isn't the devil in a blue dress. It's a highway, and it's desperately needed. Toll all highways coming into and out of the city and since we already pay for the repairs, why not make some money off of it?

Keep the loop and build inside of it - no need to have a clean slate every time we decide to build something - I don't see why architects are not challenged more in this city, into dealing more with what is presently on-site and having to actively adapt to these situations.

The amount of energy and materials wasted on constructing and conversely deconstructing everything, is mind-boggling-especially when the result is essentially the same box, just made from different materials, and taller.

p5

question would be, why can't the gardiner be on ground level and have pedestrian bridges on top? Why does the gardiner have to be raised up and have roads and people walk under it. It's kind of difficult and even dreary to walk under the gardiner.

Ideally, the gardiner should be in a tunnel, but there's major engineering problems with that because all the ground in that area is an infill of the lake, and the tunnel would slowly sink. I guess a trench would work(?). Now, back to the amazing awesomeness of the York/Bremner intersection!!

everyone here makes excellent points (the mods are gonna go nuts cause were goin off topic). as far as where the traffic will go, i believe they said they would create another ramp that will let cars off at richmond(?), extending commute time by about 5 minutes.

ok, aesthetically, the thing is ugly. we could certainly try to beautify it, like many other cities have done. there's a nice piece written by christopher hume that deals with this exact subject. still, i wish it would be destroyed as i do view it as a barrier, and unfriendly to pedestrians. that said though, IMMENSE infrastructure would have to be built in order to curb commute by car. also, i am in heavy favour of initiating substantial road tolls.

in the end, i don't think the gardiner will ever be taken down in its entirety. i do think though that the bay ramp and the highway east of jarvis will be destroyed eventually.

anway...mls anyone?

If anything, i think the biggest problem is that of the railway corridor and the walk through the long corridors, inside or out, that a pedestrian or cyclist needs to venture through in order to make it to the harbourfront.

I live at Yonge and Queens Quay and with the developments of pinnacle centre, mls, acc, and various other new structures that butt up to the gardiner, I find it kind of energizing. I in no way at all find it hard or intimidating as a pedestrian or a cyclist while travelling north or southbound under the gardiner. What I do find intimidating is getting sideswiped against the cement barrier in the tunnels or being harassed by the several homeless people i consistently pass every day in the 1-2 minute walk it takes to get from one end to the other.

I say keep the gardiner as it in itself is of architectural interest. The energy of the gardiner passing through an increasingly dense urban area is beginning to remind me of parts of Hong Kong. All it needs is more buildings boxing it in, and once that happens, you wont even notice it.....as much

I guess I'm a city kid :p

but yes, the gardiner should definitely receive a substantial face lift assuming the city doesn't pull the miracle of burying it.

back on topic though, I've been watching these buildings get built from my window and they are gorgeous.

Back