Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

Funny thing, I think I've seen arguments for keeping the some semblance of the loop as an amphitheatrical park feature regardless of whether it still serves a traffic function--as such, probably coming off better than the eastern-extension piers nr Leslie...

End of Gardiner off ramp discussion. Please find the appropriate thread for that.

JAN30-09033.jpg

JAN30-09034.jpg

JAN30-09039.jpg

Last edited:
The varied-angle layout of MLS in the first two shots really makes for a great effect!! I really can't wait until this whole area is complete!!

I agree that there is something different about how these buildings communicate with one another, than is regularly the case in Toronto - there is a bit of dialogue happening between the structures here, if anything more so, than if they were to just stand facing one another.

That said, I look forward to the completion of the area and the square as well as the connection to Union station, but I am reserved about how lively this place will be after the evening rush home has happened. Some parts of the downtown are not that vibrant after 7PM on weeknights.

p5

Well, this has as good a chance of any place for been added to the lively zone. What with the PATH extension, transportaton hub, major new retail and (ick) themed restaurant, a new hotel, 2 new condos, and a major sports and entertainment complex that's busy at least 1 out of every 3 nights on average... I'm not worried.

i'm not sure how busy this intersection will be on nights that the raptors and leafs aren't playing. unlike the core, this area is not yet littered with restaurants (high or low end), stores, clubs, bars, theaters, or museums.

i don't think the complex's retail or sports bars will do a particularly good job of drawing people in. i think we'll have to wait until (a) the pwc tower is complete, (b) the ice condos are complete, (c) the central waterfront becomes an attraction, and (d) more of the above mentioned establishments begin to surface as a result.

nevertheless, mls, telus and the acc are doing a great preliminary job of setting up the foundations of a neighbourhood that could potentially be dynamic in the near future. this once desolate area of toronto has come along way.

During the summertime the central waterfront is a huge attraction. Anyone who doubts that hasn't been there during the summer.

With that said I think this complex has a good chance of doing fairly well. During the winter, the number of nights either the leafs or raptors are playing will be enough to support quite a few restaurants / clubs. I'm hoping that the summer time crowds will help out during the off season but at admit until a couple of the adjacent towers get occupied it might be a little harder to accomplish this.

Wait - where's the 38 storey hotel? West of the Pwc Tower? Has there been anything new on that?

I Apologize for not being clear
I dont know if anyone has actually proposed a development for that parcel of land north of Infinity-1,or if the city has just designated that block for a future 98 meter hotel use space.

...or a 50-story residential building
...or a 38-story office building

jks was saying that 98 metre height provision could have a 38-storey office building, 38-storey hotel or 50-storey residential. Residential floors are lower, therefore allowing more floors than a office building or hotel. I haven't seen the zoning (by-law 168-93 I believe) to see what is actually permitted, but if it's only for a hotel use, then the other buildings aren't permitted now.

Back