Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

Telus and MLS from Reva Vizari at www.flickr.com

3198717646_d5729fc485_o.jpg

Very Blade Runner.

great great picture. love the composition and unique perspective.

i'm so glad this area of downtown is being developed. i always thought it was lost potential before the towers started going up.

maybe it's because i'm a sports fan, but i really like how we have two large sports venues downtown. some people think they are a waste of space, maybe too suburban, but i really like them. what do you guys think?

I think: move the Leaf's (and Raptor's) back to MLG, build condos/office/retail where the ACC is (keeping old post office facade intact.)

Skydome: wrap it in glass and red brick (design by aA) with retail and residential around it, filling in the "dead" spaces. (for example, a huge rectangular podium with the old oval stadium inside.)

Last edited:
interesting ideas but i think you're half joking right.

the skydome is pretty blunt but it's concrete has become pretty recognizable.

i actually forgot about mlg, shame on me. ricoh is downtown too, i guess.

Wow this pic really shows how massive the Telus tower is compared to the footprint of the Maple Leaf condos.

But....

The MLSE towers are going to look really skinny.

You know...

MLSE will be a good 50 Meters taller than Telus, so............ I think it will look, really, really good.

The ACC is more recent than the Skydome oops Rogers Centre. It shows in the design. It's a bit neat that you can walk into the ACC directly from Union Station, and it is open at most if not all reasonable hours. It seems to be part of the urban fabric. The dome is indeed "blunt" as already said, and in spite of recent changes at the entrance level, certainly does not offer any reason to visit even in passing, unless you are actually attending an event. It sits by itself and doesn't seem to connect to anything nearby.

Skydome: wrap it in glass and red brick (design by aA) with retail and residential around it, filling in the "dead" spaces. (for example, a huge rectangular podium with the old oval stadium inside.)

I have thought about this as well... I mean, with all that bare concrete... it can't be too hard to integrate some cladding/facade of some sort.

Maybe one day... it might be a stretch now, but a couple of years ago the Blue Jays were all about improving the Skydome.

January 15

3202154505_69bb5289ba_b.jpg

They are starting to install the glass on the northeast condo tower.
3202170721_2546b03480_b.jpg

Same tower and windows from another angle.
3202170727_d678af6e17_b.jpg

It's greyish glass with opaque grey spandrels. That diagonal line detail that runs the height of the building does appear in the actual building prints tho, so I'm thinking that might be a detail that's applied to the balconies, not the window wall.

Back