Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

It's not just that it blocks the view of the lake but it also destroys the walk along Queens Quay, to Harbourfront. If they at least made the retail section friendlier and the parking lot, not as prominent, it wouldn't be so bad. It's not like it can't be fixed, yet nothing is done to make it more pleasant. It's easily the worst part of Queens Quay, along with the Harbour Castle Hotel. Again, it meets the street in a most unfortunate way. Queens Quay from Yonge Street all the way to Harbourfront needs some MAJOR changes, if we are ever going to have a waterfront to really feel proud about.

I don't understand what you expect me to say, that is my fault that the retail section is not friendly and that the parking is big and ugly /actually from upstairs the roof garden looks very nice/. Making it more pleasant will cost millions, who should pay the bill?

Attachments

• DSC04410.jpg
    DSC04410.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC05843.jpg
    DSC05843.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC05089 (2).jpg
    DSC05089 (2).jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 238
M l s

Attachments

• DSC0458983.jpg
    DSC0458983.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC05144.jpg
    DSC05144.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 190
  • sept 20.jpg
    sept 20.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC03477.jpg
    DSC03477.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC03496 (2).jpg
    DSC03496 (2).jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC03761.jpg
    DSC03761.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC03922.jpg
    DSC03922.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC04238.jpg
    DSC04238.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC05136.jpg
    DSC05136.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 299
That's amazing to see such a transformation from that POV in a year and a half. And then it's amazing to think that a year and a half from now that view will be radically altered again by Ice, 18 York, and possibly even 300 Front

That's amazing to see such a transformation from that POV in a year and a half. And then it's amazing to think that a year and a half from now that view will be radically altered again by Ice, 18 York, and possibly even 300 Front

Dont forget Infinity-2 and Fly, also by that time there will be another 1/2 dozen or so legitimate proposed projects on the drawing board for that same area.:)

I don't understand what you expect me to say, that is my fault that the retail section is not friendly and that the parking is big and ugly /actually from upstairs the roof garden looks very nice/. Making it more pleasant will cost millions, who should pay the bill?

People should realize that the entire HC/HS complex was designed with an above the ground PATH type network in mind. Same system as in Calgary. Retail was meant to be on the second floor with the street level taken over by parking. You can actually see a spot on the second level of the garage where space was left for a bridge over Queens Quay. The street was an after thought. It only became important when the second level stuff didn't happen with PATH going underground instead.

Really? I never knew about the intended network, but it makes sense with the skybridges over at the Harbour Castle.

At one point planners even considered burying certain roads and creating a pedestrian zone downtown, but the idea never went far and PATH started to be built. There was a major emphasis on grade separation in modern postwar planning. The image of the future city with the highways going through skyscrapers was just one vision to come out of the wisdom of the time.

For those of you interested in this raised "Plus 15" PATH system above street level, check out the book UNBUILT TORONTO. It even has a photo of the stump on Harbour Square where this system was going to connect.

very interesting, very very glad that didn't happen!

thanks zeiss!

indeed, there should be a 'Miscellany Toronto: Then & Now' thread for just the last 5 years.

Last edited:
Agreed. Further, it's quickly lead to other stenciled ads on the sidewalks. I've seen two other stenciled promotions that have popped up in the past two weeks on downtown sidewalks. The City had to get a handle on this before our sidewalks start looking like utility poles and public phone booths.

I think MLSE and some other companies have been "misled" by an ad agency (forget which one) that promoted this whole concept of graffiti/gangsta advertising. They either told the companie or led them to believe that it was all ok and they bought into it.

The right decision has been made....get them erased, levy a fine and the companies can then seek recompense from the ad agency that got them into the mess.

For those of you interested in this raised "Plus 15" PATH system above street level, check out the book UNBUILT TORONTO. It even has a photo of the stump on Harbour Square where this system was going to connect.

And if you're interested in the plan to bury the roadways of downtown there's also a rendering in the same section of Unbuilt Toronto, pages 140-143. Bay Street looks very fine filled with pedestrians strolling down the centre with mature trees growing.

Back