Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Better than the portlands. I would prefer downs view though.

Well, isn't the whole Portlands idea to help bail out Studios of America from their complete screw up in scooping the lease, so they could screw Toronto Film Studios? As far as I'm concerned, this whole thing smells like a way for the Fords to help their brand of political insiders (as opposed to those old, evil political insiders surrounding Miller.)

Well, isn't the whole Portlands idea to help bail out Studios of America from their complete screw up in scooping the lease, so they could screw Toronto Film Studios? As far as I'm concerned, this whole thing smells like a way for the Fords to help their brand of political insiders (as opposed to those old, evil political insiders surrounding Miller.)

Probably, I'm not too familiar with that.

In other stadium news....(for comparison's sake)

The Minnesota Vikings announced plans for a new $1 billion stadium in suburban Minneapolis today. Including infrastructure and road costs on top of actual stadium costs, about 33% will be paid privately and then 67% with public funds.

from: http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/121580574.html

"The team is committing $417 million to the stadium, team owner Mark Wilf said. Ramsey County would use a half-cent sales tax to cover $350 milion in bonding, and the state would be responsible for $300 million.

Now the Ramsey County Board needs to approve the sales tax. The plan also needs the approval of the Legislature, still wrestling with a $5 billion deficit with less than two weeks to go in the session.

An analysis released Tuesday suggested that the site would require up to $240 million in road improvements in the stadium area."

The Minnesota Vikings announced plans for a new $1 billion stadium in suburban Minneapolis today. Including infrastructure and road costs on top of actual stadium costs, about 33% will be paid privately and then 67% with public funds.

"The team is committing $417 million to the stadium, team owner Mark Wilf said. Ramsey County would use a half-cent sales tax to cover $350 milion in bonding, and the state would be responsible for $300 million.

Now the Ramsey County Board needs to approve the sales tax. The plan also needs the approval of the Legislature, still wrestling with a $5 billion deficit with less than two weeks to go in the session.

An analysis released Tuesday suggested that the site would require up to $240 million in road improvements in the stadium area."

SMH at Minnesota.

I thought this was supposed to be 800 million??

The real Ford Field in Toronto...

5711713209_934b40998b_b.jpg

AEG pitches NFL stadium, L.A. Convention Center expansion to City Council committee

Leiweke declined to say whom precisely he was talking to, although the San Diego Chargers and Minnesota Vikings are believed to be the leading candidates.

"We'll be bringing a team to L.A.," Leiweke said. "[The NFL] encouraged us to jump in, they believe this is the best location. ... We have spent time with teams looking for a new stadium. There are one or two teams ready to move. Mr. Anschutz believes a team will come if we build it. At least one team will come if we build it. We wouldn't be acting if we weren't encouraged by those men."
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spo...nter-expansion-to-city-council-committee.html

The Minnesota Vikings announced plans for a new $1 billion stadium in suburban Minneapolis today.

The more urban plan in Minneapolis that was rejected for this looked way cool! I guess Football and suburbs (parking/tailgating) kind of go hand in hand. No harm in that but why are les frères Ford insisting on the Portlands for this when it doesn't make sense (rhetorical question really, we all know why)?

Actually i think the portlands is where it makes the most sense for a large stadium. With all that vacant land down there they wont be stepping on anybody's toes.

Well, except all those folks who think that a boondoggle NFL stadium is the worst possible use of any and all pieces of land anywhere. Or those who think the existing plan for a mix of housing, businesses, parks, and retail are a much better use. Or those who think a park by itself (i.e. as is, pretty much) is a better use than Waterfront Toronto's plans. Or all those Ford-voting fiscal conservatives who wanted no tax dollars spent on gravy (even NFL gravy)...

I think the only chance of building the Stadium on Portlands is winning the 2020 Olympics. Previous Olympics bid plans have the stadium there. So if they win the bid, they have a stadium to get an NFL team.

I think the only chance of building the Stadium on Portlands is winning the 2020 Olympics.
Probably true, but that would be a risk for Ford. The Feds and the Province would be putting up most of the money, and that would take some of the decision making out of Ford's hands, which means the stadium wouldn't necessarily end up being an NFL-type stadium (and I bet it wouldn't be).

By going it alone, it's almost certain Ottawa and Queen's Park would contribute nothing to a stand-alone NFL stadium, which means there would have to be someone (and it can't be a corporation under NFL bylaws) willing to spend as much as $2 billion for the stadium and the team.

An Olympic games in Toronto is essential to gaining a new stadium whether it be in the portlands or not. I believe that the portlands would be an excellent location and it provides the opportunity for an iconic multi-use facility. It could incorporate more than just a sports venue and really add to the aestheic appeal of our waterfront. The problem is that most Olympic stadiums today are built half permanent, half temporary. This would mean that it would most likely not fit the bill for an NFL class stadium. However, if the government were to find it economically viable to build a large permanent stadium, it could turn out great!

Probably true, but that would be a risk for Ford. The Feds and the Province would be putting up most of the money, and that would take some of the decision making out of Ford's hands, which means the stadium wouldn't necessarily end up being an NFL-type stadium (and I bet it wouldn't be).

By going it alone, it's almost certain Ottawa and Queen's Park would contribute nothing to a stand-alone NFL stadium, which means there would have to be someone (and it can't be a corporation under NFL bylaws) willing to spend as much as $2 billion for the stadium and the team.

A corporations cannot own the team. They can contribute to building the stadium. The city of Arden Hills, MN is a corporation.

Why don't you stop "betting" and start providing proof for how the Feds or Prov would have any say in that. And even then, it can be remodeled.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back