Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Thanks for 💩ing on the parade.

But it's true I guess :-(.

Wonder what colour future drone shots will reveal of the new river.... compared to all those pristine aerials we've seen so far.

Sorry for being the one to point out the obvious but I just had to because my childhood memories of that putrid stench while driving on the DVP south of Riverdale Park still haunts me and to this day the car windows are always up if ever passing through the area. For humans, of all our 5 senses it's smell that triggers in us the strongest memories. In this case, ew sad!

Although I'm extremely satisfied that this environmental fixing up and clean-up work is finally getting done, I won't be completely happy until we have a re-birth day for the Don river if only just to un-do the "funeral" they had for it back in the 70's when folks rightly called it dead. I'm sure the TRCA will want to be the ones declaring it all to be officially alive and clean again whenever that day comes. But I'm looking forward to it for sure.

Yes, this was clearly happening from earlier photos. I understand that there will be a ceremony of some sort tomorrow (Monday).

This is a clip from a @skycandy shot from last Tuesday.

View attachment 578419
As promised... https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/ne...cle_485765c2-3c92-11ef-b104-572d72301175.html

Though this is actually to celebrate the WEST plug's removal, they continue to 'pretend' the north plug is still plugged, but we know better!

New river valley connects to Lake Ontario in massive Port Lands project​

A ceremony Monday afternoon will mark a key milestone in the mammoth Port Lands reclamation project.

It’s likely lost amongst all the great posts. But is there a topographical map of the green space? I’m curious as to where we get hills and plains.
I don't have a topo map of the entire project, but I have some for a few pieces.

1720451260145.png

This is a rendered version:

1720451296715.png

A more detailed one from ground level looking up at Harbour View Promontory:

1720451397500.png

Here's a topo view closer to Cherry:

1720451451946.png

Edit to Add: It occurs me not everyone will understand some of this......... the blue dashed lines are Lake Level (water level), The ones furthest from land indicate LLL (Low Lake Level)......the intermediate would be MMM (Median Lake Level) The ones that generally well inland would be HLL or (High Lake Level).

The white lines are topographic height measurements in M above Sea Level.

Last edited:
A bit of a late response but I was not expecting my feelings about the S-curves in the pedestrian bridge to elicit so many responses. I'm happy to know most people like it. I get that bridges themselves can be a destination, but I figured a lot of people people (myself included) will be using it simply to get from A to B and that the park was the main destination so I was just wondering "why make it slightly less direct?". If people like it then I'm not bothered, I just wanted to know if others had the same reaction I did. No need for "FFS" responses...

A bit of a late response but I was not expecting my feelings about the S-curves in the pedestrian bridge to elicit so many responses. I'm happy to know most people like it. I get that bridges themselves can be a destination, but I figured a lot of people people (myself included) will be using it simply to get from A to B and that the park was the main destination so I was just wondering "why make it slightly less direct?". If people like it then I'm not bothered, I just wanted to know if others had the same reaction I did. No need for "FFS" responses...
Hi, you can read a bit more of the rationale here.

The three things that stand out to me as to the why:
The aesthetics -- they wanted a showcase bridge
Traffic calming -- they know cyclists will use a bridge, even if dedicated to pedestrians, so the "S" slows them down
Accessibility -- the north and south sides of the Keating channel are on different elevations, so the S has a gentle slope as opposed to needing a long ramp on the north side

The press release about the West Plug Removal issued today:

The Backgrounder:

A link to various other docs and images:

I will note for @Paclo that I resized an 18mb image down to 1.5M and UT reports it can''t be uploaded because its too large.

July 07
Took me many attempts to get back down to the area as the weather was against me when I had time since my last visit. Lot more up on my site

Was planning on shooting a lot more of the area, but after 5 hours in the heat, the sun and walking, call it a day.

Part of the north plug removed
53845224720_df465dea71_b.jpg

53845050503_30620d981e_b.jpg

53844784921_5967c0c0d3_b.jpg

53845224820_85b8fff444_b.jpg

53843895887_833cbaeff7_b.jpg

53845145149_5e348a5b12_b.jpg

Back