Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Update on work west of Cherry.

DJI_20240630132915_0013_D.jpg

Toronto has an ‘ambitious’ plan for Villiers Island. But is it missing the chance to build a neighbourhood of the future?​

Planners say they’re balancing housing density with an inviting public realm, but critics say plans don’t go far enough in an affordability crisis.

Toronto has an ‘ambitious’ plan for Villiers Island. But is it missing the chance to build a neighbourhood of the future?​

Planners say they’re balancing housing density with an inviting public realm, but critics say plans don’t go far enough in an affordability crisis.

I'm with the planners here, with zero equivocation. There's no subway here, this is already ultra-high density, and the endless cry for more is without any logical foundation or workable comparison.

Facts matter, math matters.

Critics who don't call for slashing the number of foreign students and TFWs aren't advocating for the real solutions that would make a real difference in real time.

We can reduce the GTA population by 100,000 over 2-3 years and free up more than 50,000 units of housing, something no proposals here or anyone else can deliver in that timeline.

Let me add, if we apply proper minimum unit sizes here, and elevator performance standards the proposed density will have to drop.

We can't trade away all quality of life for the argument that Toronto needs more population (which it doesn't).

Last edited:
I hope we’ve fully vetted Victorian-era British Army, Major Villiers Sankey for past transgressions as seen through present and future lenses. Otherwise well be having to spend the time and money to rename the place something more progressive and inclusive later on.

Council has already decided to rename the island.

Makes sense. I thought it odd in these woke DEI times that we would name anything new after our colonial past. At least this time we’re consulting with our First Nations countrymen rather than repeating the nonsense of Yonge/Dundas Square, which IMO should have been renamed for an indigenous word for crossroads or meeting place, or some more recent indigenous leader or cause.

Last edited:

Hopefully it goes better than Yonge-Dundas. https://www.thestar.com/opinion/con...cle_aa5f64d0-33f1-11ef-abf2-abb98c8b4400.html

I read that Indigenous people refer to marshes/wetlands as “gardens” because of the many plants that are used, including healing ones. The Lower Don Lands use to be marshlands… thus “gardens”.

An Indigenous word for gardens is “CABBAGA (there's even a coincidental nod to a Toronto neighbourhood ;-)… so that gets my vote.

Cabbaga Island. 🪴

Update on work west of Cherry.

View attachment 576686
I wonder in the future if there might be efforts to naturalize the portion on the right of the picture, the dockwall. I think I remember this being part of the 'compromise' or 'redesign' of during the Rob Ford era. cc @Northern Light

I think I've seen a video where WT has mentioned the benefits to fish of the portion on the right so I would assume those benefits could be extended to the left.

I wonder in the future if there might be efforts to naturalize the portion on the right of the picture, the dockwall. I think I remember this being part of the 'compromise' or 'redesign' of during the Rob Ford era. cc @Northern Light

I think I've seen a video where WT has mentioned the benefits to fish of the portion on the right so I would assume those benefits could be extended to the left.

From the EA:

"Phase 4 naturalization activities will be secured when the property owner of 54 Polson Street elects to redevelop the property or agrees to sell this property to the City of Toronto."

How come everything in this town has to be named after soldiers, politicians or indigenous?

They don't.

Here's the naming policy:

From the above:

1719846317378.png

1719846371920.png

The guiding principles noted above are just too long to copy/paste, but I'll provide a live link:

Wish we could be a little more creative with our naming conventions.

We could..... what did you have in mind, and does it meet the criteria above?

How come everything in this town has to be named after soldiers, politicians or indigenous? Wish we could be a little more creative with our naming conventions.
Outside of geographical references (River St., Maple Blvd.) or simple numbers (1st Ave), nearly every place is named after whomever found it, took it or owned it. What else is there? Of course Sankofa Square is a notable exception.

Last edited:

Back