Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I'm not sure what the target for beginning flooding is; but inside WT, the river flooding/greenway is listed as substantially complete January 2025; Some plantings will be done Spring '25; total project close out June '25
It will be a very slow filling of the new river bed.

...*next year though.

*Note: The Twitter post in question was dated last December, so I presume "next" here is this year. And probably when it's less cold.

Just a little 1 minute video from this morning. Best enjoyed in 4k.

(Sorry couldn't go any further or any higher because they whole area is very importantly geofenced for drones as it's so close to Billy Bishop.)

But still fun to see!

I'm seeing this in place of your video.

not available.png

Reactions: PL1
I think they have almost finished that

No, I don't mean the overflow area south of Commissioners. That one appears to be almost done. There's a second area north of Commissioners, west of the riverbed that appears to be getting filled.

Edit:

Here's a photo of what I mean. The overflow is in the top left, and the other wetland in on the bottom right

Last edited:
No, I don't mean the overflow area south of Commissioners. That one appears to be almost done. There's a second area north of Commissioners, west of the riverbed that appears to be getting filled.
It has been raining and it is below the flood plain so it is certainly waterlogged but I do not think they are actively filling it, However .....

Last edited:
These are amazing! Just a few screenshots.

Thanks! Here's an actual shot, a bit closer up. 👍

DJI_20240114073703_0004_D-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Wider shot showing how much of Villiers will need to be excavated for the water to get through.

DJI_20240114074209_0026_D.jpg

Latest progress on the bridge over the Don River.

DJI_20240114074248_0028_D.jpg

DJI_20240114074131_0021_D.jpg

And one more shot of the neighbourhood a little further down the road, by everyone's favourite transfer station.

DJI_20240114075514_0077_D-Enhanced-NR.jpg

L

Last edited:
I'll do you one better, here's an actual shot, a bit closer up. 👍

View attachment 533231

Here's a wider shot showing how much of Villiers will need to be excavated for the water to get through.

View attachment 533237

Here's the latest progress on the bridge over the Don River.

View attachment 533241View attachment 533242

And one more shot of the bridge and the neighbourhood a little further down the road, by everyone's favourite transfer station.

View attachment 533244
Fabulous @hawc !!

I just ran the Commissioners-Saulter-Villiers detour, and I noticed a pixel board on Commissioners noting "Commissioner St Open from Don Rdwy to New Cherry St Villiers St Permanently Closed at Saulter January 24". This jives with what others have said. I guess since it's in lights it will definitely happen (and hopefully on Jan 24)!

View attachment 533116View attachment 533117View attachment 533118View attachment 533119
Jan 14
The eastbound lake shore signs say Jan 23 for both roads today.

I expect Villiers east end will be close Permanently as well on Jan 23 as there is nothing there in the first place. It will allow work to take place on the New Don Mouth extension as well as building the Don Roadway. Hope they place Jersey barriers across the Close Cherry Rd on both sides of the lift bridge as we don't need anyone walking/cycling/driving to take a dip in the Keating Channel.

No sidewalk on the north side of Commissioner St west of the bridge to Cherry St. The westbound eastbound cycle lane looks temporary west of the bridge compared to the east side as well the westbound cycle lane. Separate cycle compared the rest lanes across the waterfront and the New Cherry St. Major concrete work on the southeast corner of Cherry St and Commissioner that is under trap.

Was supposed to on my way to an event in the US this coming week and has been cancel tell spring due to the snow storm and the coldest, Was hoping to drive over the new bridges if the plan Jan10-11 took place had took place while I had wheels, but with the date Jan 23, no idea when that will happen at this time. Did get a chance to use the new eastbound bridge and traffic lanes going eastbound only.

Photos to follow

Back