Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Obelisk ! Got quite the surprise when I looked outside this evening as snow began to fall. The western Cherry St. North bridge being illuminated produced an obelisk shaped shadow rising into the sky above its roof (I can imagine in foggy conditions as well).

DSCF9947 (1).jpg

DSCF9944 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Not a great shot, but drove by at 7AM this morning. Interesting to see they only light up the one side. And noticed that Lemon Bridge further down isn't lit up like Orange Bridge and Cherry Bridge.

View attachment 532979
True, the Cherry South bridge is definitely not as brightly lit as the Cherry North or Commissioners bridge.

Not a great shot, but drove by at 7AM this morning. Interesting to see they only light up the one side. And noticed that Lemon Bridge further down isn't lit up like Orange Bridge and Cherry Bridge.

View attachment 532979
Not a great shot ? You gotta be kidding. Love this ... and with the 300-ton Atlas crane in the background. 👍

So has anyone seen or heard that they are, in fact, letting water into the new riverbed? Great if true!

So has anyone seen or heard that they are, in fact, letting water into the new riverbed? Great if true!
They have certainly pumped water into the 'overflow' peak flood area that goes to the Ship Channel. The last WT announcement that I saw said that they would start pumping water into the new river valley 'in late January'. I think we won't see any for a few weeks more - it has to be pumped in slowly - they are not just 'pulling the plug out'. As of Rocky the Rock Ripper's December 22 report photo they still had a bit more to do near the temporary plug area. He also said "Now we’re putting in the riverbanks and river bottom materials so we can be ready to flood it next year." SEE:
1705181647873.png

I just ran the Commissioners-Saulter-Villiers detour, and I noticed a pixel board on Commissioners noting "Commissioner St Open from Don Rdwy to New Cherry St Villiers St Permanently Closed at Saulter January 24". This jives with what others have said. I guess since it's in lights it will definitely happen (and hopefully on Jan 24)!

1000012937.jpg
1000012939.jpg
1000012940.jpg
1000012938.jpg

They have certainly pumped water into the 'overflow' peak flood area that goes to the Ship Channel. The last WT announcement that I saw said that they would start pumping water into the new river valley 'in late January'. I think we won't see any for a few weeks more - it has to be pumped in slowly - they are not just 'pulling the plug out'. As of Rocky the Rock Ripper's December 22 report photo they still had a bit more to do near the temporary plug area. He also said "Now we’re putting in the riverbanks and river bottom materials so we can be ready to flood it next year." SEE:

I'm not sure what the target for beginning flooding is; but inside WT, the river flooding/greenway is listed as substantially complete January 2025; Some plantings will be done Spring '25; total project close out June '25

Back