Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

A couple pictures from the Lake Shore east project today.
Looking west from Carlaw.
PXL_20231027_194433008.jpg

PXL_20231027_200315282.jpg

Does the current/ongoing pour for New Cherry St. have things set up for the Queens Quay realignment? Or is that so far off they didn’t bother?

Does the current/ongoing pour for New Cherry St. have things set up for the Queens Quay realignment? Or is that so far off they didn’t bother?
The area to north of bike track is where the QQE extension would be and it looks open for it. We should see better when that section of New Cherry is finished.

I may have miss it, but what is the new date that the New Cherry St and Commissioner when will they open now that all dates for this year have been miss so far??

Didn't think it would open as plan.

Thought Cheery would open late Nov when I saw the south end today first. The east sidewalk in place, Cherry Steet done, asphalt needed to tie in the westside sidewalk with the bike path totally missing. This assume the bike path is built by then. The LRT ROW is ready for tracks.

Commissioner will be hard press to open this year with no sidewalk, bike path in place let alone road curbs and grading for the west end, No idea what the east end looks like at this time.

When I got to the north end, that late Nov opening for Cherry went out the window to a Dec date subject to weather and stop date for concrete work. Could be looking at a Q2 2024 date

The new eastbound Lake Shore bridge is ready for paving, but until they have the Don Way intersection built to swing traffic, looking at Q2 2024 opening of it. The amount of roadwork for 2 lanes going east outstanding Summer of 2024 before the new eastbound lanes will be open.

Photos to follow for all 4 areas.

- The interim naming of the portion of the realigned Cherry Street between the Keating Channel and Commissioners Street to "New Cherry Street" and the naming of the portion between Lake Shore Boulevard and Keating Channel as "Cherry Street";

Missed this before, and I know it says interim, but damn, they can't even manage to rename this section of Cherry when it's got like four freaking buildings on it. Just rename it, commit that you won't duplicate those address numbers on the replacement street so mail and deliveries can sort those problems out. Give yourselves the most time to sort out problems as there's nothing with a street address on the realigned portion!

Missed this before, and I know it says interim, but damn, they can't even manage to rename this section of Cherry when it's got like four freaking buildings on it. Just rename it, commit that you won't duplicate those address numbers on the replacement street so mail and deliveries can sort those problems out. Give yourselves the most time to sort out problems as there's nothing with a street address on the realigned portion!
The 'creation' of the streets and the initiator of the road changes info was Waterfront Toronto. They do not have the power to name streets; that's the City's job and no doubt they will get around to it. It really is not urgent as there are no imminent new buildings on either new or old portions. If you want to get worked up about street naming 'problem' think about Eastern Avenue on east of Don and Eastern Avenue on west of Don both end in dead-ends at the old bridge and have a 'duplicated section' officially called the Eastern Avenue Diversion (that's the (new) bridge that crosses the Don and has done so for 30+ years!

The 'creation' of the streets and the initiator of the road changes info was Waterfront Toronto. They do not have the power to name streets; that's the City's job and no doubt they will get around to it. It really is not urgent as there are no imminent new buildings on either new or old portions. If you want to get worked up about street naming 'problem' think about Eastern Avenue on east of Don and Eastern Avenue on west of Don both end in dead-ends at the old bridge and have a 'duplicated section' officially called the Eastern Avenue Diversion (that's the (new) bridge that crosses the Don and has done so for 30+ years!
Fair enough, WT doesn't have those powers, but the City clearly knows the streets are coming and I'm mildly annoyed they aren't more proactive, and capable of coordinating better on this.

As for Eastern, I don't see an issue as unlike Cherry, nothing has (or ever will have) frontage on the bypass west of the Don. As for east of the Don, they did rename "Old Eastern" as "Sunlight Park Road"

Fair enough, WT doesn't have those powers, but the City clearly knows the streets are coming and I'm mildly annoyed they aren't more proactive, and capable of coordinating better on this.

As for Eastern, I don't see an issue as unlike Cherry, nothing has (or ever will have) frontage on the bypass west of the Don. As for east of the Don, they did rename "Old Eastern" as "Sunlight Park Road"
I suspect he City are going to be coming forward with a whole set of names for all the new (or old) streets in Lower Don area soon - after indigenous consultations etc. The issue with Eastern is that there ARE addresses on the 'dead end'' blocks of (Old) western Eastern but people cannot find them as they go over the bridge and I have been stopped by lots of people wandering around at the eastern dead-end of the street asking where the higher numbers are. (They have to go back west and cross the bridge).You are right that the eastern leg of (Old) Eastern Avenue was re-named but the west has not been and should be.

Reactions: max
^ Did you happen to read the tree tags to see what they planted? If not, does anyone not what those are? Obviously difficult without leaves. Same with the ground covers. Are the evergreens some kind of cypress?

Back