Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I'd also say no to a bridge, especially under the pretext of preventing vehicle traffic from ever being allowed. Besides, isn't the issue that it's just not realistic and would require costly engineering solutions since ships still need to pass?

What if they had a sort of ferry system instead of a bridge across the Eastern Gap? Like a cable ferry? Could run essentially nonstop and would be a very short trip; relatively inexpensive too (I imagine). edit to add, I'm quite certain the cables drop underwater so boats can pass, although they might not drop far enough for the larger freighters.

Not sure if anyone knows anymore about those systems?

Last edited:
The Swing Bridge in Newcastle (over the Tyne) is 174 metres long and has been in action since 1876.

The eastern gap from Ward’s to the Portlands is 200 metres wide so a pedestrian/cycle bridge seems doable... maybe connecting to the path called Lakeshore Avenue on Ward's. 💰

Eastern gap.jpg

Google Maps

Lower Don Land Redevelopment has turned into Island Bridge thread.
and hate the islanders thread. i never know if people are jealous, or just cranky. As for my vote on a bridge ... no. There's enough activity going on there for a park. Hardly seems like an improvement to allow cars there. Would just lose more space to car park space. And a park should not be spreadsheeted as to its utilization, or business cased into allowing cars.

There is a Report at Council this week that states:

It is noted that significant changes to the detour configuration will occur with the opening of Commissioners Street and Cherry Street and the closure of Villiers Street, scheduled for early October 2023. Effective October, Villiers Street will be closed from Saulter Street to just east of Munitions Street and will no longer form part of the cycle detour (see figure 2).

See: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2023/cc/bgrd/backgroundfile-237396.pdf

First firm(ish) dates I have seen.

Last edited:
There is a Report at Council this week that states:

It is noted that significant changes to the detour configuration will occur with the opening of Commissioners Street and Cherry Street and the closure of Villiers Street, scheduled for early October 2023. Effective October, Villiers Street will be closed from Saulter Street to just east of Munitions Street and will no longer form part of the cycle detour (see figure 2).

See: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2023/cc/bgrd/backgroundfile-237396.pdf

First firm(ish) dates I have seen.
1686708269679.png

The map ... this will be a game changer as finally a alt route to the Lake Shore Craziness will be available. Also suggests a finished date of September 2024 or another change happening.

and hate the islanders thread. i never know if people are jealous, or just cranky. As for my vote on a bridge ... no. There's enough activity going on there for a park. Hardly seems like an improvement to allow cars there. Would just lose more space to car park space. And a park should not be spreadsheeted as to its utilization, or business cased into allowing cars.
Wait, sorry, in my initial comment about wanting a bridge to the island, that was never about vehicles. I certainly don't think there should ever be a way for the public to drive to the island. But a pedestrian/cycle track bridge would do wonders for using the green space imo. Heck, it would probably even get some more use in the winter if there was a way to walk/snowshoe there.

Also, I think it's a little strange that some people in this thread complain about the lack of parkland at the waterfront while simultaneously hoping for the island to remain under utilized and feel like a "destination". The island is a massive piece of parkland. We would hardly need more green space at the waterfront if there was a quick and easy way to get to the island.

Regarding a cable ferry over the eastern channel, what is so appealing to people about having to wait for a boat and pay a fare rather than just walk across a breezy pedestrian bridge? I would never say we should get rid of the ferries from the main terminal. Even with a pedestrian bridge to the island I think those should remain for sentimental reasons if nothing else. I just think people would get much more use out of the island if there was also a bridge.

I'm somewhat sympathetic to the people saying that the island feels secluded and you feel like you're away from the city on the island, but I also think that a busier island means more people are enjoying it, even if it's a slightly different experience and more like a big park than a secluded destination. And more people enjoying the island outweighs the cons of the island feeling less secluded imo.

@DSC 's informative posts about opening dates for roads had me looking at the WT board docs for the meeting that took place 2 days ago.........

I can, accordingly add some info, we have a specific day.

1686755969230.png

1686756002966.png

Some other key projections are here:

1686756072979.png

A couple more tidbits later if you none of you get to them, LOL

Back