Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

1000007899.jpg

Tags are trashy, but you sure have to have some ultra low level of civic pride to tag public structures that you may or may not have had a small part in paying for. I get railing against capitalism, I agree with a lot of what Picketty has to say , but this is not the way. ;)

Ok, I should have had my coffee first. I will go do that now.

The one caution I would give Alex is that the 2150 Lake Shore West site is next door to the future Park Lawn GO Train station. Villiers Island can't hold that amount of density without significant transit improvements, namely the Waterfront LRT at high frequency.

Last edited:
It was really fun, guided tour was very nerdy on the controls engineering. Caught a few photos and vids, I can dump somewhere on here if there’s interest.
Really appreciate the thought! I plan on attending next year so better off with no spoilers 😁

The one caution I would give Alex is that the 2150 Lakeshore West site is next door to the future Park Lawn GO Train station. Villiers Island can't hold that amount of density without significant transit improvements, namely the Waterfront LRT at high frequency.

Sure, the LRT is critical and should have frequent service. But also, Villiers is walking distance to East Harbour, which theoretically has 50,000 jobs, and 3km to King and Yonge.

It’s far better situated than Park Lawn GO station, and several other places that are getting serious density.

Sure, the LRT is critical and should have frequent service. But also, Villiers is walking distance to East Harbour

Except, that as I have clearly shown with actual distances it is not within walking distance as most Torontonians would envision it.

I did so in this post, among others:

From said post:

1716743375655.png

The 700M is within but pushing most people's idea of walking distance........but that's the closest measured point. The median distance 1.2km or about a 17 minute walk at a good clip.

, which theoretically has 50,000 jobs

Hasn't happened and wont' happen..........would be a starting point there.

, and 3km to King and Yonge.

A 45 minute walk at average healthy adult walking speed. Of zero consequence for modal split.

It’s far better situated than Park Lawn GO station, and several other places that are getting serious density.

The proposal at Villiers is serious density, and significantly higher density that St.James Town which you repeatedly have said, in print is too dense.

You will will have to make up your mind.

1. Is the plan to eventually get the concrete folks out?
2. Does the Bascule get replaced or affixed in place if/when the concrete place leaves?
3. Do we still want massive towers on an island when the third way off it can just randomly break down?
4. That last question does make me wonder. They have a fire station planned and the firefighters can do some basic EMT, but any traffic on lake shore can become a physical impediment for ambulances, sirens or not- given the current and proposed population- when does a new hospital come into play? Are we just going to keep expanding St. Mikes? Pray that you can get to Hospital row during rush hour? Redirect to Michael Garron? Maybe East Harbour can devote some of that unwanted office space to a facility?

Back