Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I vote for our racoon friend to be the first to cut said ribbon... <3

@hawc, be seated ...

Pretty much all done at the LS end, one of the guys thought it was opening 'Monday or Tuesday"
I must have come by about an hour after you were there. One guy was saying "less than two weeks, for sure". The main roadway over the Cherry St N bridge still needs to be finished, and I can't quite tell how far along they are on the Commissioners St side. This will make a lovely Christmas present, in any case!

20231208_162505-01.jpeg

20231208_162529-01.jpeg

20231208_162601-01.jpeg

20231208_093631-01.jpeg

Its funny that you can go from site to site where you have works wanting their photos taken to get out of here as we don't want photos taken of us or the site. I refused to take picture of workers as well try my best not to get them in the photos, but it happens as there is no option other than not shoot what i want to shoot or do it on Sunday/Holiday or a Sat if work is not done that day.

Been asked a number times on this site by workers to have their photo taken.

I see where that truckload of 430 bags was going that was parked on Cherry St Thursday, as the bags where for the cycles path.

The cycles path can open anytime now, but until the concrete for the road is pour, it can't be pave for that small area as well strip. The paving is fixing the issue I saw Thursday where the new net the old that was a rough transfers for cycles.

From our balcony at 430pm on this foggy Friday. According to WT's latest IG post, "This new Cherry Street will be open for cyclists, pedestrians and cars before the end of 2023. Stay tuned for more information on the opening! ". Apparently there will be a ceremony / ribbon-cutting event to mark this milestone.

View attachment 525710

The large cylinders in the distance are not gonna be removed ? Seems outta place in the middle of a nature park

The large cylinders in the distance are not gonna be removed ? Seems outta place in the middle of a nature park
The large cylinders are the remains of a concrete plant, not sure if they are being preserved as examples of the area's industrial past. The crane a bit further south IS being retained and the still working concrete plant on Polson street remains too.

As far as I know the former Essroc silos at current Cherry and Villiers (not shown) will be preserved and will remain, as DSC mentioned, "examples of the area's industrial past". As for the Lafarge cement facility in the background ... I am curious to know myself. Will these be demolished after being decommissioned ?

Last edited:
As far as I know the former Essroc silos at current Cherry and Villiers (not shown) will be preserved and will remain, as DSC mentioned, "examples of the area's industrial past". As for the Lafarge cement facility in the background ... I am curious to know myself. Will these be demolished after being decommissioned ?
The Lafarge folk are not keen to move to the "Concrete Campus" at east end of the Ship Channel but I think they will go sooner or later and the whole area south of the Ship Channel will, eventually, be 'redeveloped'. Not sure their silos are of much value (and are newer) but I guess we will see, in a decade or more. SEE: https://secure.toronto.ca/council/agenda-item.do?item=2020.CC22.9

Drove by this morning looks like the first layer of the road asphalt has been put down but still waiting for one more layer, but no more dirt.
Often with new roads they only lay the base layer in Year 1 and then, after a winter of use, return to lay final layer in the following spring. We shall see if they do this here....

Ah, makes sense.

Yeah looked at 7:30 this Sunday morning (gate was wide open again) and it looks like first layer of asphalt is down about half way to the bridge on the northern most part where it meets Lakeshore and then it's just poured concrete south of that to the bridge.

So that will need a layer of asphalt still. But no more dirt. And last week it was all dirt.

Progress!

Asphalt at the north end:

IMG_6545.jpg

Then you can see where it transitions to cement:

IMG_6558.jpg

Then cement:

IMG_6559.jpg

By the way, is this sloppy line work or pretty normal?

IMG_6564.jpg
IMG_6563.jpg

Last edited:
...I've seen worse. But to be fair, I don't think anyone is expecting a Michelangelo when they do these markings up. They tend to get sorted by the elements anywhoose.

Last edited:

Back