Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

In the above Chicago is ranked number 1 for congestion; to be clear, like many testicles the statistical quality needs to be questioned.

Different surveys use different methodology, but suffice to say Chicago has a congestion issue.

Chicago is a different beast than Toronto.

The yellow/orange is highway or highway-like infra:

You've basically got 2 N-S corridors and E-W corridors feeding downtown Chicago.

View attachment 518256

No.

'The EL' (their subway) has less service frequency overall and a lower modal share; though it does have somewhat better coverage and more stations.

METRA, their answer to GO and I would call it 'comparable' Most routes have some off-peak and weekend service. By and large their service is slightly below where GO was at its peak, but pretty comparable to the current schedules.
I haven't seen these, nor had time to look, but thank you. I kept really only hearing Toronto/LA traffic related issues and comparisons. I would say based on that highway map they have better access than we do as the 401 is so far north of their DT compared to their I90, but no matter how you but it having a lake on on side restricts access points.

Better, more frequent and more transit is the main part of a solution to, get people to switch out of cars and solve the DT gridlock. Intercity transit as well across the GTA.

I humbly disagree! No to one way streets.

Although I agree for the most part, there are instances where it's preferable. A 2 way 2 lane side street with little traffic would improve (for pedestrians) if 1 lane was taken out (making it 1 way) and the space used for a wider sidewalk, landscaping, and/or a bike lane. Essentially, turning it into a laneway.

IMG_2991.jpeg

Us...the answer to who pays is always taxpayers in one for or another...

One thing that could better help, (possibly), is turning more of our DT streets into one ways, or more like Jarvis with the switching lane, though no specifics in mind. One of the downfalls of our city is the that we have the lake in terms of people moving throughout the city and not being able to be spread across 360 degrees. How is Chicago on the traffic scale? I know they have bad traffic, but I hardly hear of them with these similar issues. Mind you their Lake Shore is an at grade highway and still have a disconnect to the Lake through the downtown. Is their train service better? etc.
Why should we have to pay for that? I would want my tax money going elsewhere. Besides, the logistics of tearing down that expressway amidst all those condos and office towers without disrupting residents and employees has to be considered. I'm sure it can be done but I doubt anyone in a position of power over its fate is gonna do it anytime soon.

Why should we have to pay for that? I would want my tax money going elsewhere. Besides, the logistics of tearing down that expressway amidst all those condos and office towers without disrupting residents and employees has to be considered. I'm sure it can be done but I doubt anyone in a position of power over its fate is gonna do it anytime soon.
Unfortunately unless it is a private entity that buys the highway and land, the tax payers of either Toronto, Ontario and/or Canada will be footing the bill no matter which option gets built. Whether is be rebuilt, moved, demolished and a boulevard etc. public money is involved regardless.

Do we have landscape plans for the interim condition along the future streetcar path, since it will be years before it is installed?

I recall reading awhile back that grass will be in its place until the streetcar plans go forward.

Unfortunately unless it is a private entity that buys the highway and land, the tax payers of either Toronto, Ontario and/or Canada will be footing the bill no matter which option gets built. Whether is be rebuilt, moved, demolished and a boulevard etc. public money is involved regardless.
Maintaining it hasn't exactly been cheap either. Every penny spent tearing it down is a penny saved in the long run.

It was mentioned at Wednesday’s WT update that there was supposed to be some information on the cruise ship terminal at Polson Pier but Ports Toronto couldn’t attend. Since playing host to cruise ships starting about three or four years ago traffic has skyrocketed to over 40 ships this past season. I guess that Ports Toronto has taken note and may be planning a few upgrades as the existing terminal may not be able to handle more passengers. I imagine that the opening of the new Cherry Street will be great for the terminal and a much nicer introduction to our little burg for cruisers.

While I'm not opposed to grass being there in the interim, I can't help but feel it would have been better to make it a set of bus lanes so that there would be actually decent transit to the area. Obviously we should have had the streetcar on QQE ready to be extended down here already, but since that got completely screwed up, it just seems like a missed opportunity not to make something out of those lanes for the few years it'll take until they actually expand the streetcar.

Back