Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I'd imagine that it is a shortish term lease until that section of the portlands is redeveloped - probably 15 years out.

I see Cinespace is moving to make way for the GM innovation centre on Eastern.

I don't think that section of the Port Lands is intended for any redevelopment beyond port uses in the Master Plan.

AoD

I don't think that section of the Port Lands is intended for any redevelopment beyond port uses in the Master Plan.

AoD

Yeah, we don't need condos everywhere on the Portlands,:eek:

Cargo, cruises unaffected
PortsToronto, which operates under a government mandate, says the lease will not affect or displace any industrial shipping operations in the city, which accounted for around 2.2 million metric tonnes of goods in 2017.

"After careful study of current operations and future needs for the Port, it was confirmed that our marine terminals property could also accommodate new studio space in some of its existing buildings," said PortsToronto CEO Geoffrey Wilson.

Cruise ships will continue to use the terminal in the area, though a portion of the cruise ship terminal will be used for the new studio.
More.....http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/cinespace-port-lands-studio-1.4559274

16 ships docked in 2017.

Great Lakes cruises have skyrocketed in popularity over the past few years from my understanding, and strong growth is expected this year. It's a nice way to see large portions of Canada and the USA - you can see Georgian Bay, Chicago, Toronto, Detroit, Montreal, Etc.. all on one easy trip.

I feel a bit strange having been completely unaware of these cruise ships. Toronto-Georgian Bay? Be still my beating heart!

I feel a bit strange having been completely unaware of these cruise ships. Toronto-Georgian Bay? Be still my beating heart!

It's going upstream that the ships have a problem with.

A+ocean.jpg

From link.

tiny, can't fit much more than recreational boats.

They can use the St Lawrence Seaway through Welland to avoid the issue WK has highlighted..

tiny, can't fit much more than recreational boats.

They can use the St Lawrence Seaway through Welland to avoid the issue WK has highlighted..

The largest boats that can fit through the Trent-Severn are about 65ft.

The largest ships for the Welland Canal are about 220 metres.

It's often been a fantasy of mine to take a pleasure craft along the whole length of Trent-Severn. I know parts of it, but would thoroughly enjoy trying out the long circuitous route. Not sure how long it would take or the lock fees.

Re: cruise ships in TO. Was 1-2 Summers ago that I was at Cherry Beach when a large cruise ship arrived. Was an awesome sight to see. Obviously it's not one of those mammoth cruise ships we're used to seeing in media, but it was definitely larger than anything I've seen here before. Certainly not a harbour party boat. German tourists were chatting with people through the fence.

Back