Toronto Love Park | 3m | 1s | City of Toronto | CCxA

Toronto needs lots of parks like this in the core. Like lots.
I hope the new park between pinnacle 1 Yonge and Sugar Wharf condos looks as high quality as this. Berczy Park & St Andrews Playground feels elevated to this level, possibly even Grange Park which I like a lot. Maybe the redeveloped David Crombie park will have a shot as well as the Moss Park redevelopment. I realize these are all concentrated in a few small areas but I feel like I am seeing some progress over the past few years.

Photos taken April 30, 2022: Forming of the Heart-Shaped Water Feature is well underway.

DSC07483.JPG

DSC07486.JPG

DSC07487.JPG

DSC07488.JPG

DSC07489.JPG

From today. Trees don't look quite dead.

View attachment 403718

Keeping in mind, I'm not an arborist, and that I'm attempting to look at these pretty distantly in a photo...............

The southernmost tree, next to Queen's Quay is a Chinese Elm........it looked a bit rough before the park project.........I'd be guessing here, but they do have to deal w/Dutch Elm disease just like a our native elms...........though they usually hold up a bit better.

Tree on the York St. side should be a Silver Maple I think and it looked pretty good last year and in the photo above; though it did have some premature yellowing last September as seen in Streetview.

The tree that's meant to be the island in the heart feature is a Northern Catalpa. Still a bit early to judge this one, they are very late to leaf out here normally, late May or early June even. They are really a more southerly species, their name notwithstanding.

Not sure I can get a better view in person, so I'll just say for now, let's have another look in about 7-10 days. I think the other southerly tree is also Chinese Elm, I'm pretty sure that's what I recall seeing on the diagrams.

Back