Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

That looks a million times nicer than what was there before. The recreation probably better represents the historic design than the dilapidated remnants did.

The good thing about the heritage component is that the old building stands on its own, generally. It's not being swallowed by the skyscraper. It still has (most of) its walls. It isn't harshly juxtaposed against the modern architecture. Having said that, I think by definition, heritage buildings that are "saved" by condo developers are imperfect. But this is a compromise I can live with.

Here's a picture I took of it a year or so before Shangri-La began. The shot has a sepia filter on it, but still, you can really see the difference. I wonder if they'll be reinstalling the shutters.

bishopsblock.jpg

Attachments

• bishopsblock.jpg
    bishopsblock.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 284
we wondered when trump would top bay adelaide and when the falling first canadian place reclad would meet rising trump... looks like we are gonna have all three happen at the same time! COOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I walked past the site this afternoon and was very impressed - I didn’t realize they were this far along with the construction, so I was a bit startled !

The one thing that bothered me slightly, was I found the window panels were sort of ‘warpy’ (for lack of a better word) - it kind of has the effect of a wall of funhouse mirrors. The glass gives a less smooth reflection, so it looks more like a mass of individual panels as opposed to of a unified wall of glass.

Perhaps it was just the way the sun was at that moment, but compared to some of the other buildings, it seemed a bit less streamlined.

I won't complain too much, overall it's looking pretty impressive !

I'm hoping something good happens to this tower from the halfway point to the roof...cause it's just not cutting it for me.:(

if you're getting bored of this same old routine (each floor is pretty much identical), you're basically outa luck. there will be no setbacks (only fins) from here to the roof. then the roof has a dual fin kinda thing....

for me this tower doesn't go to the extreme (no slants, no curves, etc...) but still is a nice tower that isn't quite a box. and the cladding is really nice,

I'm hoping something good happens to this tower from the halfway point to the roof...cause it's just not cutting it for me.:(

What else could you be expecting? What you see is a little bit of exactly what you'll get, and I think its going to be one of my favourite towers in the city. Its a pleasingly simple, ulatramodern monolith standing boldly on the apex of the slant in Toronto's greatest avenue.

if you're getting bored of this same old routine (each floor is pretty much identical), you're basically outa luck. there will be no setbacks (only fins) from here to the roof. then the roof has a dual fin kinda thing....

for me this tower doesn't go to the extreme (no slants, no curves, etc...) but still is a nice tower that isn't quite a box. and the cladding is really nice,

Its rare that I disagree with you, Steveveve, and never before this vehemently, but c'mon man! "no slants", "no setbacks", "dual fin kinda thing"??? Slants that will change its appearance drastically with the changing light, the lack of setbacks in favour of clean unbroken lines, and fins that make it look as if clad in giant shards of glass are exactly the reasons why I like it so much. (and I think I've made it clear here that I do, in fact, like it)

And the restoration looks great.

Getting real curious as to how the whole tropical beach-scene terrarium on the north side will look and fit in.

Last edited:
Would there be PATH access added eventually to this site (may be from the DBRS Tower at 181 University Ave)? It would be great to connect all the way to Osgood subway station but that's a very remote possibility.

Would there be PATH access added eventually to this site (may be from the DBRS Tower at 181 University Ave)? It would be great to connect all the way to Osgood subway station but that's a very remote possibility.
My understanding is that they arebuilding knock out panels to the path for future connection. I guess it will depend on the town and developers if they wish to complete it. One would have thought the City would have requested that as a prerequisite but they did not to my knowledge. So for now, one would have to cross University to the other side.

One would have thought the City would have requested that as a prerequisite but they did not to my knowledge.

Baffling. You'd figure that for their clientele, SL would probably want to be uber-connected to the financial district via the PATH.

Last edited:

Back