Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

Perhaps because you can't see through buildings and you forget where the ground really is... LOL

It's nearly halfway up and when scaled against The Ritz it seems so short yet Shangri-la will be just a little taller. I'm sure that area must be lower or this is some kind of optical illusion that I'm not getting. Just sayin'.

Here's a photo with BAC & Shangri-la.

That's better... I wasn't so far off:

5569710346_deb5f03662_z.jpg

(Another image courtesy YOU! Hehehehe)

amazing view. and i think Shangri-la is going to be an amazing new toronto skyscraper.can't wait to see this angled glass fined tower be completed.

That's better... I wasn't so far off:

5569710346_deb5f03662_z.jpg

(Another image courtesy YOU! Hehehehe)

What's with the 'YOU! hehehe' crap?

Shangri-La is only 3M higher than The Ritz and BAC is 3M higher than Shangri-la so your drawings and arrow are all off.

Shangri-La is only 3M higher than The Ritz and BAC is 3M higher than Shangri-la so your drawings and arrow are all off.

First of all... It is the rule to give credit for posted images, but because they are obviously yours from the same thread I was just being silly and an attempt to be funny. Sorry my humour was lost on you.

Secondly... Shangri-La is slightly taller than Ritz but a whole lot closer to your vantage point than Ritz is so it will appear taller. Also SL is situated on land that has a couple of extra meters higher than Ritz, which is closer to the lake. (The Altimeter feature on Google Earth shows this.)

Thirdly... SL is barely shorter than BA West, yet also on the same side of Adelaide. Therefore if you draw a line from the top of BA and using perspective you follow it to where SL is rising, you get an approximation of how tall SL will appear from that vantage point.

Fourthly... My lines are not that far off. You have to take all factors into consideration.

And finally... Don't be so sensitive, get a clue and STFU.

5569417209_b328efbecb_z.jpg

(Courtesy SSP Diagrams found here: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=12 )

children, be nice...

hard believing the Ritz and Shangri-la are so close in height compared to Bay Adelaide. i guess cause they're completely different types of buildings.

First of all... It is the rule to give credit for posted images, but because they are obviously yours from the same thread I was just being silly and an attempt to be funny. Sorry my humour was lost on you.

Secondly... Shangri-La is slightly taller than Ritz but a whole lot closer to your vantage point than Ritz is so it will appear taller. Also SL is situated on land that has a couple of extra meters higher than Ritz, which is closer to the lake. (The Altimeter feature on Google Earth shows this.)

Thirdly... SL is barely shorter than BA West, yet also on the same side of Adelaide. Therefore if you draw a line from the top of BA and using perspective you follow it to where SL is rising, you get an approximation of how tall SL will appear from that vantage point.

Fourthly... My lines are not that far off. You have to take all factors into consideration.

OK, if you say so. Time will tell.

And finally... Don't be so sensitive, get a clue and STFU.

Nice attitude, cheers!

Yeah, that was over the top and probably uncalled for, but my feathers get ruffled when people don't just ask a question, instead they feel they must then belittle someone by adding CRAP as punctuation.

Traynor, I think Bay-Adelaide is a bad comparison since it is so much closer to the camera`s vantage point and your line seems a bit arbitrary. Being so far from both buildings and not having a clear view of Adelaide Street which would present an essential guideline makes it almost impossible to draw that line accurately. Besides, you don`t know the height or the angle at which it was taken which would be two very important factors in drawing an accurate line for comparison.

I have, however, been consistently amazed by your ability to conceive the future placements of buildings on a skyline, so, umm... nevermind.

That's wrong, you didn't take depth into account. You simply assumed through the angle in which BA is facing. There's a 3rd coordinate involved. Close enough though. :)

Traynor, I think Bay-Adelaide is a bad comparison since it is so much closer to the camera`s vantage point and your line seems a bit arbitrary. Being so far from both buildings and not having a clear view of Adelaide Street which would present an essential guideline makes it almost impossible to draw that line accurately. Besides, you don`t know the height or the angle at which it was taken which would be two very important factors in drawing an accurate line for comparison.

I have, however, been consistently amazed by your ability to conceive the future placements of buildings on a skyline, so, umm... nevermind.

My red line follows the lines of perspective exactly, due to the roof of Bay Adelaide. Assuming BA it is parallel to Adelaide Street, the angle the roof and red line slope to the right of the picture is the actual vanishing point for that line. It is not arbitrary at all, but the science of optics.

Certainly their are some unknown variables that will vary the accuracy of the red perspective line and therefore the Shangri-la Top Out point such as:

1) If Adelaide Street varies from a straight line from Bay to University.
2) If the elevation of the ground along Adelaide is not a constant.
3) If Bay Adelaide Tower is obliquely placed and it is not square with Bay and Adelaide Streets.

Using Google Earth, I considered all of those factors and ruled them all out as variations great enough to distort the line from its intended purpose, which was to approximate the final height of Shangri-La.

The key word in all of the above is...

APROXIMATE

This was just a quick exercise to help poor flummoxed dt_toronto_geek get a grasp of SL from his vantage point. When I do renders, I take even more care and consult more resources to get the heights right.

;)

Last edited:

Back