Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

Based on basic eyeballing, Traynor's estimation is pretty reasonable. BA is what, three blocks from SL? There is certainly no noticeable dip or rise along Adelaide at ground level along that stretch - certainly not anything that adds up to even a metre.

My red line follows the lines of perspective exactly, due to the roof of Bay Adelaide. Assuming BA it is parallel to Adelaide Street, the angle the roof and red line slope to the right of the picture is the actual vanishing point for that line. It is not arbitrary at all, but the science of optics.

Certainly their are some unknown variables that will vary the accuracy of the red perspective line and therefore the Shangri-la Top Out point such as:

1) If Adelaide Street varies from a straight line from Bay to University.
2) If the elevation of the ground along Adelaide is not a constant.
3) If Bay Adelaide Tower is obliquely placed and it is not square with Bay and Adelaide Streets.

Using Google Earth, I considered all of those factors and ruled them all out as variations great enough to distort the line from its intended purpose, which was to approximate the final height of Shangri-La.

The key word in all of the above is...

APROXIMATE

This was just a quick exercise to help poor flummoxed dt_toronto_geek get a grasp of SL from his vantage point. When I do renders, I take even more care and consult more resources to get the heights right.

;)

Like I said, I am not one to question you on estimating (notice I did say estimating) the placement of buildings considering your record with future renderings. As approximations go, yours is pretty good I think. I was just being nitpicky without even noticing that you used the roofline of BA for your line. Well done and My bad.

HONESTLY people... can we please postpone this argument till the thing is actually completed!? THEN we'll know who is right/wrong! hehe.

My red line follows the lines of perspective exactly, due to the roof of Bay Adelaide. Assuming BA it is parallel to Adelaide Street, the angle the roof and red line slope to the right of the picture is the actual vanishing point for that line. It is not arbitrary at all, but the science of optics.

Certainly their are some unknown variables that will vary the accuracy of the red perspective line and therefore the Shangri-la Top Out point such as:

1) If Adelaide Street varies from a straight line from Bay to University.
2) If the elevation of the ground along Adelaide is not a constant.
3) If Bay Adelaide Tower is obliquely placed and it is not square with Bay and Adelaide Streets.

Using Google Earth, I considered all of those factors and ruled them all out as variations great enough to distort the line from its intended purpose, which was to approximate the final height of Shangri-La.

That all makes sense. It still doesn't appear very high, but obviously it's my POV that is skewing, or screwing, me up! Excellent tip about the Altimeter feature on Google Earth, I've been looking for a tool that shows elevations for ages.

Excellent tip about the Altimeter feature on Google Earth, I've been looking for a tool that shows elevations for ages.

Keep in mind....

When using Google Earth, the Altimeter feature that displays elevation is calibrated to SEA LEVEL. So you must minus approximately 75 meters from any number you see at the bottom of the screen.

For instance: If you hover your cursor over the land right at Harbourfront, you get an elevation of about 76 meters right at the waterline. Now hover your cursor at Yonge and Queen and you get 88 meters. So the increase in elevation is actually 12 meters. Now go up to Bloor and you see the land has increased in elevation to 116 meters, or an increase of 41 meters from the waterfront.

This demonstrates how buildings like Aura and One Bloor will seem so tall on profile, if you have the CBD in the same picture.

*One cool thing about the Altimeter feature, you can hover over building roofs and see the height in meters above sea level for them too!

thank you! I had forgotten it was called the bay adilaide centre! appreciate that steveve im use to seeing the kpmg logo now.

pink is my favourite colour...

5577081038_f6cd4940ec_b.jpg

5576496373_bb653eef81_z.jpg
5576497023_68cd30da36_z.jpg

5577082832_552b853554_z.jpg
5576496695_3bce1c26e3_z.jpg

5577082520_2d73382ddf_z.jpg

shangri-la is a stunner! and it looks like it's about 80-90m now! awesome
and in that first pic, shangri-la will be the centerpiece of the view. no questions asked.

March 30th, Queen & University

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Back