Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

Those are crazy shots, I never get to see that since selling my car and getting out of that nonsense. I still love the Palace Pier and Palace Place buildings (1st pic on the left), they have really held up well after all these years.

I totally dig the megacity in smog, with the insane megacity freeway in the foreground.... so epic... kinda like a scene in the matrix!

cool how every city has one of these views!!!

Right, sorry i had Trump on my mind.:)

LOL! WopChop does it all!... One man army!!!!

I find it quite amazing how (currently) Trump and Shangri-la have roughly the same amount of floors, yet, there is a HUGE height difference! (due to Trump's floor heights and what not)

LOL! WopChop does it all!... One man army!!!!

I find it quite amazing how (currently) Trump and Shangri-la have roughly the same amount of floors, yet, there is a HUGE height difference! (due to Trump's floor heights and what not)

Yeah, way shorter!

Ours guys over there like to joke that they'll be done before we're done over here at Trump, but they seem to forget that their building is much shorter, and that every floor is symmetrical. Makes a big difference.

Yeah, way shorter!

Ours guys over there like to joke that they'll be done before we're done over here at Trump, but they seem to forget that their building is much shorter, and that every floor is symmetrical. Makes a big difference.

And, is it me? or does Trump have INSANELY thick floor slabs? all floor slabs look really paper thin compared to the ones at Trump, (cough cough, Shangri-la).

And yeah, i expect Shangri-la to top off sometime in october or november,

And, is it me? or does Trump have INSANELY thick floor slabs? all floor slabs look really paper thin compared to the ones at Trump, (cough cough, Shangri-la).

And yeah, i expect Shangri-la to top off sometime in october or november,

Shangri-la has thicker than usual floor slabs too, I think they are 10" if I recall.

You gotta be careful when judging the slab thickness when just looking at the tower from the exterior. The thickness that you are seeing around the perimeter of Trump is not the same thickness as the majority of the slab. That's a beam. This is typical in high-rise.

Trump is also post-tensioned, which means the slabs are actually thinner than normal.

I'm not too familiar with all the details of Shangri-La, but I almost guarantee that Trump has thinner floor slabs.

Last edited:
You gotta be careful when judging the slab thickness when just looking at the tower from the exterior. The thickness that you are seeing around the perimeter of Trump is not the same thickness as the majority of the slab. That's a beam. This is typical in high-rise.

Trump is also post-tensioned, which means the slabs are actually thinner than normal.

I'm not too familiar with all the details of Shangri-La, but I almost guarantee that Trump has thinner floor slabs.

really? never knew that, so what i'm looking at (the upper portion of the tower unclad of course, ) is NOT the thickness of the slab, but some sorta ledge?.... maybe you can get us a photo sometime :)

More pictures

sany1501.jpg

really? never knew that, so what i'm looking at (the upper portion of the tower unclad of course, ) is NOT the thickness of the slab, but some sorta ledge?.... maybe you can get us a photo sometime :)

Steveve, permit me to answer this question with a photo. Below is the northwest corner of the 46th level from our tour in June. The beam is not creating a ledge over the floor, but is up at the ceiling.

P1220657.jpg

Now - no more Trump in the Shangri-La thread!!!!!

Thanks. Oddly enough, the photo I took today to answer his question was of this exact same corner and this exact same floor. Weird.

Steveve, permit me to answer this question with a photo. Below is the northwest corner of the 46th level from our tour in June. The beam is not creating a ledge over the floor, but is up at the ceiling.

ty for answering my question :), and to make this somewhat relevant to Shangri-la, does Shangri-la also look like that on the inside?... LOL, technically, those floors at Trump aren't fully "floor to ceiling windows" if you want to be a troll :p... the closest i've seen is at the Ritz,

by me a couple days ago

sany1502.jpg

Given this forum's obsession with the "cheapening"... if you compare the different angles on the curtain wall hung so far (on the east elevation)... it exactly matches the original render.

They could have eliminated the angles to save big bucks... but they didn't.

Could this be the first new/tall Toronto tower that completely avoids the "cheapening"? If the crown is executed as rendered... it may indeed be the first (4 Seasons is close).

Last edited:

Back