Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

Toronto in contrast, has played slow and steady, yet here in 2010, she has pulled ahead of many contemporaries...This kind of growth heralds a new city, one willing to be a leader, one willing to have growing pains, and come out the other side as livable, exciting safe, and modern. One where, the world can intermingle freely, exchange ideas, and have cake and eat it.
There has to be a feeling of sustainability for this boom to be so protracted, in the face of such dire outcomes elsewhere. A serious beleif in this place that is extremely special and rare. A co operative balance between business and finance, and government, that is fueling this drive to say "come live here" 800 feet up in the air, overlooking the cold and snow, the leafs that suck, the mass of humanity, that we are willing to help take care of till they get on their own two feet.
Only this kind of belief in a place can allow for this type of renewal, and growth, over so prolonged a period. Especially against the current financial backdrop. Its quite inspiring.really.

^^^agreed, theres no denying the massive growth (mostly condominium) but even office (ba west, rbc dexia, telus house, 18 york etc etc) development toronto has been seeing over the past 10 years or so, although it may not ammount to the building booms cities like shanghai, dubai and other cities outside of canada it is still one of the most worthy "growth spurts" in the world! just look on the skyscraperpage timeline diagram....the ammount of growth comparatively from 2000 to 2010 its asstounding. though we might not have gotten a supertall yet we sure have gotten to be one of the most dense cities in north america

Shangri La Toronto by me

I took this morning..

sany0263x.jpg

sany0264v.jpg

Last edited:
Most units are bought by foreign buyers and then rented out to locals who would otherwise have probably found housing much further north had it not been for a slew of affordable rent downtown.

yes, but there still have to be bodies to fill the units at some point. Even if they are originally bought by investors and either flipped or rented when the buildings are complete. I doubt that any significant number are pied a terre. I have been asking the same question ever since 2004 when the first CityPlace buildings came on line: where are all the people coming from to fill these buildings? and presumably many of them would need jobs in the downtown core as well... regardless, its been a heck of a ride that looks like it will continue without end.

the majority of people i meet who have just moved in have moved from their parents houses in the surrounding suburbs.

the rest have moved here from other places in canada....

So what was the population of the downtown area in 1999, and what is it projected to be by 2015?? That increase must be significant. The more people living downtown the more livable that area becomes.:D

Should be interesting to see. Apparently the concrete is 11" thick at the residence levels which start at floor 18. I wonder if we actually notice the floors being thicker. I believe they are 7" for the hotel component up to floor 17.

Well they only now put the weatherwall up, they could've put it up at the lower floors, so you might be on to something there. I'll keep my eyes peeled over the next few days. Might be hard with the wall though.

It looks to me like it's only on the 16th floor. Not sure how you come up with 18.

I took this photo from Solaris' photo update last week on Nov. 18 to count the lower floors for easy identification up to the point that slants out toward the street. If I missed a floor let me know.

Shangri-La%20Floor%20Count.jpg

So if you take that photo, and count the first 4 floors, and then yours today caltrane, up to and including what is the new floor being formed at the very top, you would get to 16.

Last edited:
I count 17 floors and then since they don't have a 13, they are on 18 as Cal said.

Assuming I am not mistaken.

I would suggest you count upwards starting at floor 5 from the NE corner. The platform at the top is the 18th floor( or 17th if you were to allow for floor 13).

The only thing that would put me at 17 (allowing for no floor 13) would be if your #2 in the picture is not truly the 2nd floor but in fact part of the 1st. I am not really sure.

You do NOT take out the 13th floor when counting total storeys. That is only for floor numbering when the building is complete. There will be 65 storeys regardless of there being a number 13 in the elevator or not. So if they skip 13, that would mean there would be a button labeled 66.

As for the count, I will make a new image showing how I reach 16.

From last week:

Shangri-La%20Floor%20Count%20Edit.jpg

Today's photo by Caltrane:

Shangri-La%20Floor%20Count%20New.jpg

They are still on the same floor as last week.

Last edited:

Back