Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

I see that there will be large featureless walls on Yonge and The Esplanade. It's a challenge of the context to be sure, but not good in terms of urbanism. This criticism can be applied to 1960s downtown developments so often that it's like shooting fish in a barrel, except in this case it's a new development.
Same goes for 1 World Trade Center in New York, an office tower on a blind 185-foot-tall blind pedestal.

6315108740_51004eeb2d_b.jpg

6316731507_2d29a9581b_b.jpg

Beautiful shots!

L Tower Teaser

... as seen through Cityzen, Fernbrook, Castlepoint Sales office window on The Esplanade

[video=vimeo;32020881]http://vimeo.com/32020881[/video]

Top Climber

Now that construction reached 15 out of 58 floors, Premform started with the first extension of their L Tower construction crane. Remember what we were told earlier: "This crane is the tallest ever in Canada. It currently stands at over 200 feet tall, 260 feet with the boom raised and by the end of the project it will be well over a whopping 600 feet tall."

Yesterday the red climbing frame was installed, today they secured the crane by attaching it to the L tower and on Monday 5 additional crane sections will be inserted at the top.

6337915019_de9888c0a1_b.jpg

6337920939_1f1c4cc719_b.jpg

6337923297_49b3ec743e_b.jpg

6338751946_0c2b07788c_b.jpg

... and one more:

6340796211_f7b71ab2cf_b.jpg

Last edited:
"This crane is the tallest ever in Canada. It currently stands at over 200 feet tall, 260 feet with the boom raised and by the end of the project it will be well over a whopping 600 feet tall."

Not that I doubt the veracity of that statement, but what was the source of this information?

Last edited:
thanks for the video udo... seeing it, it'll be cool seeing come together... but the close ups of the windows have me worried again about the glass quality.

also what bugs me, is that the l tower logo still features a capitol L in the silhouette of the old design.

I'm not sure about that podium facing Front, it just looks wrong. What will it be used for? It's a good location for a cafe or restaurant but from what I can see so far, it looks more like the back end of a restaurant. It will be facing the public square, so they should put something useful (to the public) there.

It is not free-standing.

What the Cityzen blog writer probably wanted to express is that the crane stands on its own "feet" on street level next to the L Tower and has to grow as the tower grows. This is pretty unique. In other high-rise developments in Toronto I have seen the fixed height crane was always put on top of the building. For some reason they decided to do it differently in case of L Tower.

But yes you are right, since Saturday the crane doesn't stand "free" anymore, but there are now some beams attaching it to the building. It took them all of Saturday afternoon to do it. I am glad they did. I don't want the crane to fall over. It has been swaying already quite a bit at the height it is at now. As you can tell, I find this piece of engineering really fascinating.

The L Tower will help mitigate the vast expanse of the TDC cladding. It'll also help balance the eastern view of the CBD.

Back