Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

I really feel bad for all of the buyers who are now trapped thanks to "the process".

Is there any chance at all that after Monday's City Hall debate the original plan will still be in place?

As someone who bought an investment unit in this building, I have to say I am very disappointed and I really agree with some of the earlier posts that such a huge design change should be considered a material change and enable buyers to rescind. Mike in TO, I know you said that condo buyers can do nothing because its just the AHA that was affected not the condo, but how can that be? I thought I'd read about other condos that when a significant change occurs, like having to move the structure back from the sidewalk, or change the exterior of the condo, these were considered material changes. How can a tower that was marketed almost solely on the unique-ness of its "L" design (and actually NAMED the "L" Tower), not be considered to have undergone a material change when that very design is removed?

As someone who bought an investment unit in this building, I have to say I am very disappointed and I really agree with some of the earlier posts that such a huge design change should be considered a material change and enable buyers to rescind. Mike in TO, I know you said that condo buyers can do nothing because its just the AHA that was affected not the condo, but how can that be? I thought I'd read about other condos that when a significant change occurs, like having to move the structure back from the sidewalk, or change the exterior of the condo, these were considered material changes. How can a tower that was marketed almost solely on the unique-ness of its "L" design (and actually NAMED the "L" Tower), not be considered to have undergone a material change when that very design is removed?

You should contact your lawyer and get their legal interpretation - hopefully you can get out of the deal given the significant changes to a portion of the project... although you have made a decent profit (on paper) given that the remaining inventory is selling at over $700psf, so you'll have some big decisions to make if you have the ability to pull out of your deal.

SONY CENTRE
Das Boot design kicked to the curb
John Barber
October 3, 2008

...."It's a much simpler and more elegant solution," said Alfredo Romano of Castlepoint Realty.... "Now we're not doing an office building that really was a tough fit with the Sony Centre." ... Mr. Romano expects little opposition from prospective buyers who have already made significant deposits for the privilege of living above the boot. "The new design actually has more sizzle for the condo dweller," he said. "Any time you can give your building some public open space right at your front door, that's pretty good."

pure B S !! ... if Castlepoint thought the original proposal residential+Arts Lab or residential+office was not viable or 'fit' in the begininng, why did they propose it and sell condos based on that concept?

Wow, the arrogance of this developer is astounding. You call your project "L" tower, you create amazing renderings, you have the starchitect and you then sell out the project because of the building design. It was certainly not because of the layouts of the suites (which were poor in my opinion) or the finishes etc.. Adam Vaughan had it right indeed.

If Castlepoint is so confident, why don't they give everyone a chance to bail if they want and see what happens.

Agreed ...

and I think purchasers would be entitled to recision / walking out of the deal if they are upset enough with the changes, since the proposal would be material change to the condo complex (both in design and # of units) :mad: ... but it depends if purchasers are investors or not, the later whom would want to keep the 'paper' appreciation earned on this project

You should contact your lawyer and get their legal interpretation - hopefully you can get out of the deal given the significant changes to a portion of the project... although you have made a decent profit (on paper) given that the remaining inventory is selling at over $700psf, so you'll have some big decisions to make if you have the ability to pull out of your deal.

keeping in mind the remaining inventory @ $700 psf are largely penthouse-style units in the upper part of the building ... which also begs the question at that price tag how it would sell in a bland building (should the revised design go through)

Okay ... if removing the podium makes the entire building bland I'd argue the rest of the building was always bland other then the podium.

Most "regular" people who bought into this building will not likely care as much as your think... and please we don't even know exactly how they're going to change the podium yet.

I don't see why Castlepoint should be held responsible for not building the component of the building proposed and funded by Sony Centre.

And besides, did purchasers bought into the project because of that centre (which they should have known doesn't have a go-ahead - as we know on UT for years), or did they bought into it because it's a Libeskind condo - a fact that hasn't changed?

AoD

I'm sorry I didn't realise I was not 'regular' (and therefore I will now go sit in the corner to reassess myself) :(

the podium contributes greatly to the building form / silhouette, without the podium the tower is just a glass box with a slanted wall on one side

I think the changes proposed are pretty clear:

L-revised.jpg

ltowercompare.jpg

The whole design should be scrapped. Anything else would be completely disingenous. The arts lab was dumb to be sure (Torch redux) but a public space is not needed here either (there is a gorgeous parkette across the street). I would only hope that whatever new iteration this project would take would be respectful to the O'Keefe Centre, unlike the 'boot'.

Yeah, the public space comments are complete b.s. How many god damn parkettes do we need? There's a plaza park with a great big fountain right next to the flatiron building, mere steps away.

Ideally, Libeskind would have some clout, having designed the building, to put a stop to this lower case L crap, but there are strong indiciations (Lee Chin ROM Crystal) that he doesn't have the artistic integrity or pride in his work to stop his designs being drastically altered and tampered with.

An itty-bitty park right by a busy intersection should provide a tiny oasis of... something.

Most "regular" people who bought into this building will not likely care as much as your think...

Do we know this? For that matter, do we know if they are "regular"? No Ex-lax required?

Yeah, the public space comments are complete b.s. How many god damn parkettes do we need? There's a plaza park with a great big fountain right next to the flatiron building, mere steps away.

Ideally, Libeskind would have some clout, having designed the building, to put a stop to this lower case L crap, but there are strong indiciations (Lee Chin ROM Crystal) that he doesn't have the artistic integrity or pride in his work to stop his designs being drastically altered and tampered with.

I agree...anything for the all mighty dollar! Pride and integrity down the drain...

This is extremely disappointing. I don't know why they couldn't have just added some more units and retail to the base, with a smaller heritage component.

My suspicion is that he's given up. He fought ferociously to protect his design for the World Trade Centre, but to no avail. I don't think he's going to devote massive amounts of time for a condo in Toronto.

Back