Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

In today's paper:

9107827603_6581162d0e_b.jpg

Lisa Rochon for The Globe and Mail:
"The brilliance of the 58-storey L Tower, built onto the back of the Sony Centre at Yonge and Front, comes down to a design gesture that’s as pure as it is simple: oppose the straight lines of the city’s downtown towers with a single, sublime curve. Delivering the power of that organic female shape required a complex glass facade and intricate sculpting of structural columns on the north side – an engineered solution by Jablonsky, Ast & Partners. In balcony-crazed Toronto, the developers have taken a risk by eliminating balconies on the curved north facade, and discreetly tucking them into the silver-blue facades on the visually magnetic tower. The building is set to be completed this fall."

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish a big crack would open up south of the gardiner and swallow up the pinnacle centre and the westin harbour castle. (without hurting anyone)

without hurting anyone

Right. Just cause hundreds of millions of dollars in damage and bankrupt a couple thousand people. Nobody gets hurt at all. I dare you to stand under the Prince Edward Viaduct that day, and dodge the jumpers.

Right. Just cause hundreds of millions of dollars in damage and bankrupt a couple thousand people. Nobody gets hurt at all. I dare you to stand under the Prince Edward Viaduct that day, and dodge the jumpers.

ok, while we're fantasizing maybe the crack spits up "hundreds of millions of dollars" once the buildings are erased.:cool:

Hanlan's Point

9120024133_b7135598f6_o.gif

... beautiful downtown with less blur and motion
9122530922_7cc0569ed5_b.jpg

Last edited:
Parade of Sail

A bit earlier from Centre Island: Empire Sandy parading along Harbourfront ...

9122276374_e9447ada98_h.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful spring photo by AshtonPal on flickr

8743012801_97351523be_b.jpg

It's a bit outdated (taken May 13), but (except for a few more rows of curtain wall windows on the north face) the tower hasn't changed that much since.
Please note also that another great L Tower photo by AshtonPal ("Rising into the Fog") was selected as UT's "Photo of the Day" on June 17.

Last edited:
This building is a great example of heavy frames and mullions on the W/S/E sides actually adding "weight" to the building, rather than just cluttering it up. The muted colour and ever changing reflectivity are also a joy to the eyes.

This building is a great example of heavy frames and mullions on the W/S/E sides actually adding "weight" to the building, rather than just cluttering it up. The muted colour and ever changing reflectivity are also a joy to the eyes.

I'm not a huge fan out the creamed-out colour, I'd have preferred something that shines/reflects the light/sky a tad bit more
but the mullions definitely added to the building. those razor sharp edges really emphasize dat curve,.

i guess it would been cool if the mullions picked off the light kinda like 1wtc.
original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/150972837/original.jpg

Back