Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

From the Berczy thread:

2vuy3yp.jpg

If you look at L Tower you can see what looks like the first row of glass on the curved portion of the north side. The way the light is hitting it makes me think that the glass itself will not be curved but will just be flat panes of glass.

It's way too early to jump to any conclusions of the curvature of the glass. Wait and see. I doubt that they're going to put flat panes of glass. This is L-Tower don't forget.

It's way too early to jump to any conclusions of the curvature of the glass. Wait and see. I doubt that they're going to put flat panes of glass. This is L-Tower don't forget.

I am fairly confident that we will see as much curved glass as we have seen curved concrete so far. In other words, zilch.
Not to worry. The curve of this building will still be every bit as beautiful and graceful as its tiny sales office model counterpart suggests. If you are up there on the forty something floor and you press your nose against the glass it will be flat, angled, but flat.

I am fairly confident that we will see as much curved glass as we have seen curved concrete so far. In other words, zilch.
Not to worry. The curve of this building will still be every bit as beautiful and graceful as its tiny sales office model counterpart suggests. If you are up there on the forty something floor and you press your nose against the glass it will be flat, angled, but flat.

The "curve" on the AGO addition was made of flat panes of glass as welland it turned out quite well, so I'm not too concerned.

Great shots, SkyJacked! Is the tower just where the wet concrete is in those photos? I'm guessing that the barriers, and most of the tools are supported by the lower levels, and are not actually part of the final tower dimensions. Is that correct? How will they build the uppermost "point"? Will it be steel or will they continue pumping concrete all the way to the very top?

Lastly, I was wondering how those units with the fans would be removed if they have been surrounded by concrete. Or is that wood acting as a barrier between them and the concrete?

Thanks again for your many contributions to this thread!

Last edited:
wow that last photo of Skyjacked's showing the thinness of the flootplate is amazing... Are we essentially topped off on the eastern face of the building? the plan is to still have a slanted roof right?

Great shots, SkyJacked! Is the tower just where the wet concrete is in those photos? I'm guessing that the barriers, and most of the tools are supported by the lower levels, and are not actually part of the final tower dimensions. Is that correct? How will they build the uppermost "point"? Will it be steel or will they continue pumping concrete all the way to the very top?

Lastly, I was wondering how those units with the fans would be removed if they have been surrounded by concrete. Or is that wood acting as a barrier between them and the concrete?

Thanks again for your many contributions to this thread!

DtTO, I can’t describe in detail exactly what the steel framing or the exterior product will look like because I have only seen concrete drawings. I don’t think I am qualified to present an adequate description in any case. This picture from yesterday combined with the last picture in someMidTowners post from today will help you extrapolate.

Feb14_5660po_tm.jpg

Note that the west side of the building is wider than the east (near) side. If you follow the slope of the north face, the west side of the building will be a little more than 5 metres higher than the east side. The south concrete wall will slope that 5 metres. When I say wall, that doesn’t describe the columns and beam that are integral to the wall. As interesting and cool as it is, it is equally detailed and cramped.

The photo of the fan unit you quoted is more or less the top half of one of two cooling towers. I’m sure they could be removed through the openings that were formed around them if it was necessary. All of the wood you see is formwork and will be removed.

I appreciate all of the acknowledgement and thanks for my posts, from you and everyone else. I apologize to anyone that has posted a question to me that I haven’t attempted to answer. I don’t mean to be rude.

Great photos everyone! Amazing details.

Skyjacked, what can you tell us about installation of window-washing equipment, where it will be positioned and how it will be deployed?

Back