Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

^ you're gonna love these ;)

HDR pano madness from yesterday:

7841265534_90c12f4249_c.jpg

7841258818_b49f1c3734_c.jpg

Boo HDR. Horray L Tower!

To be fair... Steveve does show restraint when he uses HDR. Unlike most people who think 'If a little is good... Then way too much must be better!'. Steveve seems to understand the original purpose of HDR.

HDR, as I see it, is an enhancement of photographic technology. Done right, it is not an "effect". You can boo poorly done HDR all you want, but it doesn't make sense to boo HDR as a photographic technique when it is very effective at expanding the dynamic range of a photograph to closer replicate the range seen by our eyes.

A question for those more knowledgeable in the construction process.

Why do they some times skip a floor, or a portion of a floor, when applying the cladding? ICE is another instance. Doesn't this create a pretty big headache when you do get around to finishing the section you skipped? I thought the standard way to put it in place was to lower it with a small lift from the floor above, and if you've already clad the floor above that's obviously not possible. Do you then have to use a platform similar to the one they've got on the northwest corner? Seems like extra work.

About HDR... sometimes I find it very dramatic. However, it's often used in a manner to impart a certain surreality to an image... I would argue that it's not at all how the human eye sees - which fact makes it so fantastic - all that detail and super-saturated colour that's over the edge.

Generally speaking, in architectural shots, when I see see a halo effect of a building against the sky, it's HDR given over to excess. But hey, not always. Artistic license is a cool thing in my books. It's just that every era has its own aesthetic fads and I suspect HDR, all too often, is proof of that.

Preglazed curtainwall generally gets hoisted from above, which is specifically why you don't see gaps like that left in curtainwall installations. The east, south, and west elevations of this building are windowwall, which gets installed from the floor it belongs to, so it's no big deal to leave a gap.

Incidentally, the top of a curtainwall frame generally locks into the bottom of the frame above it, but in windowwall the frames span just one floor and are independently sealed. That's one of the many reasons why curtainwall tends to be a superior (and more expensive) cladding option.

HDR, as I see it, is an enhancement of photographic technology. Done right, it is not an "effect". You can boo poorly done HDR all you want, but it doesn't make sense to boo HDR as a photographic technique when it is very effective at expanding the dynamic range of a photograph to closer replicate the range seen by our eyes.

HDR replicates the range sure, but it's unnatural, because our eyes see scenes with distinctly differing exposures. Trying looking outside on a bright day from a dim room. Seeing the highlights, mids and lows exposed similarly at once in a single scene is quite surreal. Additionally the tonemapping exaggerates the effect, and often gives objects in photos a bizarre glow (quite noticeable around buildings against the sky).

Back