Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

For all those who have been antsy for an icon could this be it?

This is certainly the most inventive highrise that has been built in the City of Toronto in this boom, but it's not quite iconic. For one, it's in the one part of the skyline that already has all the landmarks. Secondly, it will probably be hidden by similarly-sized buildings around it in the future. Third, the architecture is good and the details are there...but it still feels like a B+ or A- building to me. The Ritz-Carlton evokes a similar response, even though it was also designed by a major international firm, KPF, as do the 2 Absolute Towers.

I don't know what it is that doesn't catapult it into landmark status. The height? But there are landmark buildings that are as short as their neighbours, or that have been overtaken by others over time, such as the Woolworth Building or the UN headquarters. The fact that the boot that was designed for it got chopped? The fact that its colour isn't very distinguishable from far away?

re: L Tower and landmark status

I was actually thinking about that - all the latest crop of buildings suffer a similar problem to some degree, i.e. the use of unitized wall systems make for a mass produced look that precludes individualized detailing. You could never get a Woolworth with that. As to the UN - its' location and unity of the materials and forms (Secretariat Building & General Assembly) isn't something the Sony Centre/L-Tower can replicate even if you move the whole thing to our waterfront.

AoD

I was down on Wellington today and when outside Pravda Vodka Bar, got a really nice look at it across the park. The curve is just starting to make its mark and it will be quite something when done. I kind of agree that it turns its back to the lake, but not all views of the city are from the lake. It's turning its dramatic side to the city - as if to do so for the city - which is pretty cool.

Last edited:
I think some may be over thinking this. We simply won't get the kind of materials used in the past. Is L Tower a landmark for our time though? Like OCAD it is shaping up as though it will be quite photogenic.

Schedule for this week

4 more floors until they start work on the mechanical floors. Feelin like a kid counting down the days til Disney World.
There were always people with cameras at Yonge and Front as far back as I can recall. The thing is, they used to aim them west at the CN Tower or north to BCE/Brookfield/HHOF. Everyone is pointing their cameras at the L tower these days. If you don't believe me go spend 10 minutes at the corner.

Interesting comments someMidTowner. When people stop and point their cameras at a building to photograph it I think that makes a strong statement. Some can make fun of starchitects all they want but look at what they've designed in Toronto this cycle. We may not all agree that all are great buildings (like, um, Michael Lee-Chin Crystal), but they certainly evoke emotion and plenty of discussion so to that end, they are a success.
Developers take note!

See that's the thing, a build doesn't need to be universally loved to be great. Quite the contrary I find, buildings that grab attention, good to some, bad for others stand out more. The ROM fits into this category in my books.

Cyclists beware: Excessive ogling of the L Tower while biking eastbound on Front increases one's chances of being door'ed tenfold. Resist the urge to ride and stare - disembark at Berczy Park to take in those sexy curves!

The L Tower is showing up in view looking down Yonge from near Yonge & Bloor now. I wonder if the curved top will be distinct from there?

e6a0d573.jpg

Holy crap..

I finally managed to post a pic without screwing up.
I love my iPhone.

I'll name this one. 'arching'

A great shot Granny. How about an update in a few months when the glass is in? :)

Back