Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

from today
DSCF2955.jpg

Awesome. Since moving to Boston I haven't been able to enjoy this view much; whereas in the past I was able to multiple times a week, as I rented a rehearsal space right under the Sound Academy. I miss that. Nice to see how it's shaping up.

Hi all. First post from me. I've been visiting this forum for a little while now.

Anyways, I've heard the L tower's windows didn't meet code / specification or something which is why we see a huge lag between structure and windows. A friend in the industry told me it had to do with the installation of the windows, not the manufacturing (manufactured in China). Has anyone else heard this and can confirm?

It is coming from China, and they failed the tests (repeatedly), whether it's install or manufacturing depends on who you talk to. As I see it, it's more or less the same workforce installing every building in the city, and the Chinese supplier is the variable in the equation. Given how low they bid on the work, my inclination is to fault the material, not the men.

Incidentally, the same company is doing Ice, but with a different labour arrangement for the install. Notice a trend?

Hi all. First post from me. I've been visiting this forum for a little while now.

Anyways, I've heard the L tower's windows didn't meet code / specification or something which is why we see a huge lag between structure and windows. A friend in the industry told me it had to do with the installation of the windows, not the manufacturing (manufactured in China). Has anyone else heard this and can confirm?

Can someone give me an example of a window that doesn't meet code.

Strictly speaking it's usually the frame that doesn't meet spec, not the window/glass itself (tho sometimes you can see failed IGU's from the condensation inside the two panes, or discolouration when seen from outside). The failure is usually as it pertains to a leak test, and could be because of improper sealing in the shop, lousy design, improper gaskets, improper installation procedure, or sometimes even lousy fabrication (joints that don't meet evenly, blocked drainage channels, or screws through an air or wet seal, that sort of thing)

I know everyone is talking about how bad this is going to look glass wise, can I just remind everyone that the same negative comments were said about Couture, and it actually looks pretty good in person. I know everyone says "The cladding on Telus House and F$ looked great from the first pane!" but sometimes it takes the a bunch of floors to be clad before it looks good, or bad for that matter. I try to not form an opinion until I see at least 2/3 cladding on a project.

How would you like to be one of those individuals that bought one of those high floor units where the windows curve a third to a half way over your unit.
I would think reading the above posts regarding the glass problems should be making some a little twitchy.

"Get the pails out honey.. They're calling for rain tonight."

Back