Hamilton King William Urban Rentals | 97.56m | 30s | LIUNA | Graziani + Corazza

Buffalo has come to understand the tremendous civic value of public art.

Erie County, now in conjunction with the city of Buffalo (Buffalo is the county seat) works with the Albright Knox Gundlach Art Museum to beautify the city.

Here's a sample of the murals, although there's sculptures and installations around the city as well.

Hamilton should do the same!

ok, I mean, sure. That's nice. But considering the state of downtown, is this really a good look? To be spending a bunch of money on things like this when we have a clear and obvious litter problem, to name one thing. As a property tax paying resident of this city, I would have much rather seen the money spent on additional police walking downtown (apparently two were announced today, we need way more than that), and additional litter collection crews. I'd love to know how much this thing cost.

Chris R this is not a slight on your post, thank you for providing us with an update.
Apparently it was an additional four police officers that were announced on top of the original two, unless you are referring to another two on top of the four.

As bad as a lot of things are downtown, I don't think it would make sense to focus on a single issue to the exclusion of everything else. In some senses, I am happy that the city is able to put up things like this even when things are far from perfect.

ok, I mean, sure. That's nice. But considering the state of downtown, is this really a good look? To be spending a bunch of money on things like this when we have a clear and obvious litter problem, to name one thing. As a property tax paying resident of this city, I would have much rather seen the money spent on additional police walking downtown (apparently two were announced today, we need way more than that), and additional litter collection crews. I'd love to know how much this thing cost.

Chris R this is not a slight on your post, thank you for providing us with an update.
They needed to put something here to protect pedestrians, and a gate was probably going to be cheaper than digging up the whole street to build underground bollards anyway. As for the money spent on the art portion of it, the design firm Make Studio was awarded $115000. I don't know how long that money would pay for police walking downtown but as a property tax paying resident myself, I'm glad we got something nice and practical at the same time.

Apparently it was an additional four police officers that were announced on top of the original two, unless you are referring to another two on top of the four.

As bad as a lot of things are downtown, I don't think it would make sense to focus on a single issue to the exclusion of everything else. In some senses, I am happy that the city is able to put up things like this even when things are far from perfect.
I'm happy to see it as well. It's just, where are the city's priorities right now?

Back