Toronto King + Condos | 53.03m | 17s | King Plus | TACT Architecture

Are you kidding me? What an ignorant insult to Toronto. We have thousands of great buildings from different eras that are worth preserving. But after a couple of centuries, there are quite a few great buildings, from impressive landmarks to heritage neighbourhoods and cohesive streetscapes. Many buildings aren't significant at an international level but add so much richness to a neighbourhood's streetscape. Toronto will be great with high quality contemporary architecture and many layers of history preserved. You don't even seem to know much about Toronto's history. A small town could count 100 significant buildings. Toronto was an upstart city with a lot of ambition that produced many great buildings that are still standing. It was home to Upper Canada's parliament. The architecture was actually quite sophisticated, as you might discover if you read through Eric Arthur's Toronto: No Mean City. A lot of it remains.

What if Montreal, for instance, blockbusted the old town? By your narrow vision of preservation, maybe Notre-Dame Basilica would be sparred, city hall and a few bank headquarters. But the simple stone colonial buildings amidst the narrow streets wouldn't be worthy. Maybe some International Style towers would replace them, with the best architecture of the time. Centuries of history would be gone. It was a possibility at one point, too. Today, though, those layers are there, and it just so happens that the city built many great modern buildings along the way too. History, even if it isn't grand history full of spectacle, can make a place more meaningful and inspire a desire among people for more sophisticated design. Places with more layers of history tend to have preservation movements robust enough to save buildings with more nuanced beauty or fascinating histories. We need to be more confident about what we have already achieved in order to progress.

Montreal has a lot more historic buildings than Toronto. It's an older city and for the greater part of its history it was more significant (economically, culturally and economically) than Toronto. Sorry, but you simply cannot compare the historic architecture of Montreal to Toronto. The Old Port of Montreal is a gem; we have nothing similar in Toronto. I wish we did. But if you look through the list of "Historic" buildings in the City of Toronto, a lot of those have absolutely no historical significance at all. Councillors (for political reasons) have added many of the buildings for their own petty reasons. I wish we had an independent planning/building department like other cities do.

As for this proposal. The location is perfect. Some people don't realize that Toronto is a growing city and a top 15 financial centre in the world. There is no way to totally stop a condo redevelopment in the downtown core. You can modify designs, but when I hear people say "I hope the project is killed by the City" or "I hope the City doesn't allow it" I shake my head. The world just doesn't work that way. I personally don't see why any of the building at King/Sherbourne should be kept.

1 March 2011--launches soon. I asked the developer if they're selling King Plus-sized condos here, or if only Americans would buy them? Toronto investors prefer King Petite Condos...:p

209xh.jpg

We Canadians are a pack of morons. We seem determined to wipe out any trace of our past. When a developer is forced to 'respect heritage' it amounts to the shameless plastering of historic facades onto uninspired high-rises like wallpaper.

The heritage structures that have been demolished and defaced in Toronto is nothing short of tragic. This particular building isn't a high Victorian monument, but it's all that's left, and it adds greatly to the urban richness of this historic stretch of King St. This proposal amounts to crass disney-grade lip-service. Time and time again development lobbies make a farce of Heritage preservation. Toronto once had the richness of Boston, Montreal - even parts of London. Today you would never know it.

The argument that the city must 'make way for growth' doesn't hold up. Apart from sounding like 1950's rhetoric, far greater cities with much higher densities prove there are alternatives. Toronto's legacy is that t has plowed over it's historic core and sprawled over it's vast countryside, reducing both to something much less than what it could have been.

Last edited:
Gimme a break. Not to condone what the city has destroyed however, both Montreal, Boston, and countless other American cities have destroyed far more of its history than Toronto could ever accomplish. Our prewar landscape consist mostly of lowrises and house forms of which most were wood framed.. For all the residential highrises Toronto has, not a single one was built before 1950.

Facadectomies and/or partial retentions are everywhere. Toronto is by no means a leader in that category. I have no doubt this building would see a similar fate or worse if someone proposed a similar re-development scheme in just about any other city. That includes those that are light years ahead of us on the heritage preservation front.

Last edited:
FutureBuilder said:
Montreal has a lot more historic buildings than Toronto. It's an older city and for the greater part of its history it was more significant (economically, culturally and economically) than Toronto. Sorry, but you simply cannot compare the historic architecture of Montreal to Toronto. The Old Port of Montreal is a gem; we have nothing similar in Toronto. I wish we did. But if you look through the list of "Historic" buildings in the City of Toronto, a lot of those have absolutely no historical significance at all. Councillors (for political reasons) have added many of the buildings for their own petty reasons. I wish we had an independent planning/building department like other cities do.

Didn't you ever see what the Financial District looked like before urban renewal after WWII? What about the old Toronto area in the east end, around St. Lawrence? Front Street? Jarvis Street? Yonge? These areas were filled with very impressive architecture and history, and the streetscapes were beautiful. Naturally you don't think anything is comparable when what was comparable has already been demolished. The Old Town is a preserved district with some modern buildings, even though many of its buildings look simpler than the building at the centre of this thread. (Take a look at the average building along St. Paul Street, for instance.)

Look through the various threads here on Urban Toronto with hundreds of pages of historical photos. Carrere and Hastings, one of the leading architectural firms had several projects in Toronto, even one in The Junction. We even had stone-paved streets. Obviously, Toronto didn't equal Montreal back then. So what? That doesn't mean this was some provincial hicktown without anything significant. Such denigration is baseless.

I suppose to put this situation in perspective, you'd be saying that the Vancouver or Calgary of today has produced very little, if anything, of heritage value just because Toronto is the economic and cultural leading city. One city's leading success does not preclude impressive achievements in a smaller city. In fact, Torontonians clearly had a lot of ambition in bridging the gap. Late 19th century Toronto had plenty of landmarks and some streetscapes that would fit in a European capital city.

You're also conflating history with heritage. Heritage can either mean architectural or historic significance (or both). Buildings may be valuable heritage buildings at the local neighbourhood level, city level, or national level.

As for this proposal. The location is perfect. Some people don't realize that Toronto is a growing city and a top 15 financial centre in the world. There is no way to totally stop a condo redevelopment in the downtown core. You can modify designs, but when I hear people say "I hope the project is killed by the City" or "I hope the City doesn't allow it" I shake my head. The world just doesn't work that way. I personally don't see why any of the building at King/Sherbourne should be kept.
If a condo development is in some way detrimental, shouldn't we have a way to stop it? I see growth as an opportunity to build upon the positive rather than to destroy it. If you want to talk about the leading financial centres of the world, we can pull up some impressive preservation records. Those without such records would love to be in a position to plan growth around heritage.

Then there's the fact that the new building no architectural identity and it's not complimentary in any way, be it in scale or design. It's just many storeys of absolute banality crowned by a questionable mechanical section. The new architecture is demonstrative of the sophistication of the developer who ruins heritage buildings today.

Last edited:
I really like this but I lament the loss of the adjacent heritage building and am concerned that the brick on the new section is too matchy-matchy. Great location. I could live here.

Just thought i mention: Development by Plus Development Group/ Terracomm Consulting(ENIROX)

They got a development partner and decided to market the project with changin' their development company name for this project.

We have shots from last week's opening party for King + Condos.

King+P1210434.jpg

First, principals of Plus Development group Walter Aronovitch, left, Stephen Macaulay, centre, with Ali Mohtashami of builder Terracomm Development Inc.

King+P1210426.jpg

Architect Prishram Jain, principal of Tact Architecture Inc.

King+P1210410.jpg

Let's orbit the scale model. King and Sherbourne sides from the northwest.

King+P1210402.jpg

Upper levels from the north.

King+P1210405.jpg

Two shots along the Sherbourne side. First, closer to the sidewalk. The new construction at ground level, both on King and Sherbourne Streets, will be set back slightly so that the facade of the historic structure will be more prominent.

King+P1210428.jpg

Above the heritage structure the tower moves from brick to glass so that the higher floors are unquestionably modern.

King+P1210429.jpg

The back of the tower, facing Abbey Lane.

King+P1210421.jpg

The two small buildings immediately east of it (the massage place and the Middle Eastern restaurant) were closed on December 31. Presumably they were paying rent and they clearly moved because their leases were not renewed. They submitted a Buklding Permit application on 4 January 2012. It is clearly alive.

Application: New Building Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5A 1K2

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 299749 BLD 00 NB Accepted Date: Jan 4, 2012

Project: Mixed Use/Res w Non Res New Building

Description: Proposal to construct new 17-storey mixed-use building consisting of underground parking (3223.4m2), 132 residential units (10704.49m2), retail (362.33m2), mechanical space (883.73m2), with sprinklers included throughout the building (14272.73m2). Also see STE files 08-186000 for rezoning, and 08-186022 for site plan approval.

Back