Toronto June Callwood Park | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | gh3

June Callwood Park Improvements - Community Open House

Designed through an award winning international design competition, June Callwood Park was inspired by June’s famous words, “I believe in kindness”. With this in mind, a revisioning process is well underway for a refresh as a fitting monument to June Callwood, and to enhance the space for children and families in our Fort York neighbourhood.

A reminder to join us at our Community Open House next Tuesday November 5th, to review the preliminary plans for improvements to June Callwood Park.

Date: Tuesday, November 5, 2019
Time: 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Location: Fort York Visitor Centre (lobby), 250 Fort York Boulevard, Toronto, M5V 3K9

http://www.joecressy.com/june_callw...ier_oct_31&utm_medium=email&utm_source=ward20
Very diplomatically worded, Councillor!

I didn't go to the open house, but it's been over 3 months now and it seems nothing has happened, not even an update to the web page.

It's become just a place for nearby condo dwellers to let their pugs poop. It's not a welcoming place at all. With the nearby development of the new Fort York Visitors Centre and the Bentway, I'm glad to see this rethought.

From Joe Cressy's Ward 10 Updates:

June Callwood Park Improvements Coming Soon

June_Callwood_Park.jpg

Designed through an award-winning international design competition, June Callwood Park was inspired by June’s famous words, “I believe in kindness.” With this in mind, additional park improvements will soon be implemented for a refresh as a fitting monument to June Callwood, and to enhance the space for children and families in our Fort York neighbourhood.

City staff anticipate construction of the improvements to begin in the spring of 2021, with construction completed in fall 2021. Click here to view the improvement plan.

Here's what the improvements are:

8c80-june-callwood-park-final-implementation-plan.jpg

There are still some consideration items on there, but it's all pretty much "in kind" to the original design. I was expecting at least some soft surfacing (natural, not just rubberized) so I'm a little surprised. As this has been done in consultation with the community, we shall see how it goes.

As long as they keep the pink stuff, I'm not complaining. (Not that I have a bias in stating that...no sir'ee!)

Here's what the improvements are:

View attachment 279652

There are still some consideration items on there, but it's all pretty much "in kind" to the original design. I was expecting at least some soft surfacing (natural, not just rubberized) so I'm a little surprised. As this has been done in consultation with the community, we shall see how it goes.

Having eviscerated the design flaws in this park over in the Problematic Park Design thread...................

I have to express my deep reservations about the 'refresh'.

It will fix dead trees; it will address some of the seating issues I noted, and replace the gravel surface areas with something more practical.

That's fine, as far as it goes.

Better than nothing.

But fundamentally a very flawed design is being honoured, instead of binned; and that's a shame.

There are renders for the refresh concept.................warning.........it ain't great:

1622566989496.png

1622567037396.png

from: https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...evelopment/june-callwood-park-revitalization/

The pink adds nothing...............the goofy non-functional labyrinth type space remains............the design is exceedingly spare.

I don't even want to know what they're spending for fail #2..........

For $100,000 I could have made that park good.

For $1,000,000 I could have made that park great.

For $10,000,000; I would have hired Cormier to do it better than I could, LOL

Last edited:

Back