Toronto Jane and Finch Mall Redevelopment | 156.8m | 47s | Brad-Jay | BDP Quadrangle

Right, but that's the high end of size for the most part, excluding the MLG outlier.

The comment (to which I responded) was that there was barely room for a mid-size supermarket with 50,000ft2.
I think the west block Loblaws counts as mid sized. But this is a matter of opinion/perspective.

The Star out with a piece with locals predicting this development will lead to doom and gloom. It's almost BlogTO apocalyptic.

I just read this myself, and was thinking yes, the liberal leaning Star, seeking out anyone with a story of how their lives will be upended. I am sure there are legitimate questions re access to geared to income housing, senior assisted housing, schooling, daycare and all the ancillary services an expanding community requires. And these questions should be addressed in a positive manner, as those needs are real and existing now. But this is a 25 year long build out ( as I read it) and many things will change in that time plan. Building this community is a project that adds far more to the existing community then an aging strip mall complex. And that’s before the full cycle of revision to the planning concept has completed.

The Star out with a piece with locals predicting this development will lead to doom and gloom. It's almost BlogTO apocalyptic.

To be fair to the STAR, it was an in-person meeting at 6:00 PM on the night of a huge, slushy storm-day in Toronto, so the audience for the in-person event kind of self-selected for "ONLY the most passionate people" to attend - and comment.

The meeting got a little bit out-of-control with shouting from the Audience, etc -- and Councillor Perruzza just finished running for Mayor on a "Suburban Champion" platform, so he's not the most forward-thinking local-politician.

The STAR reporter accurately reported the "tone of the room" that night.

Decision Report - Approval Recommenced to the next meeting of EYCC:

Unfortunately, parks accepted the divided parkland (2 parcels subdivided by a road, i think that's a mistake, but oh well)

However, there are some interesting tweaks in here, as once again, the City is approving something that is not entirely in line with the submitted plans.

@Paclo will take interest in the shift of heights:

1711116164122.png

1711116197201.png

So the tallest gets a 3s hair cut, but other buildings get taller in exchange.

@HousingNowTO will wish to make note of the emerging deal here on housing:

1711116309652.png

Also of note, the by-law will be structured to support maintaining the current amount of retail ft2 on the site, a substantial increase from the applicant's proposal.

1711116487700.png

Deferred at EYCC:

1712607710218.png

I will reiterate here, than I continue to view this application, in its current form, as sub-optimal; but I don't see heights as the issue here, but rather the Site Plan, and Parks Plan, and Road Alignment.

Back