Toronto Jack Layton Ferry Terminal and Harbour Square Park | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Saw a picture of a revamped Yonge & QQ yesterday, thought it looked nice then realized- oh that would mean a new path through the Ferry Terminal- wait is that still a thing? Then went through the Retail Review and noted it was listed as “past redesign not funded”.

Totally forgot this project existed- but it must be way down on the priority list now, right? I mean, tis the season for monthly BlogTO articles about seasonal overcrowding but it’s Eastern LRT extension over Ferry terminal, right?

Saw a picture of a revamped Yonge & QQ yesterday, thought it looked nice then realized- oh that would mean a new path through the Ferry Terminal- wait is that still a thing? Then went through the Retail Review and noted it was listed as “past redesign not funded”.

Totally forgot this project existed- but it must be way down on the priority list now, right? I mean, tis the season for monthly BlogTO articles about seasonal overcrowding but it’s Eastern LRT extension over Ferry terminal, right?
Part of funding was to come from redevelopment of the Harbour Castle hotel conference centre block. That is on hold so ..... (This is also why there is even less funding for the LRT link to Union Station improvements as that development would have helped THAT project too. )

I think the Westin Harbour Castle changed ownership a couple of years ago and now the $50 million interior renovation is underway. Maybe the convention center won’t be too far behind and then Jack Layton Ferry Terminal and the park. Maybe the current Mayor has more of an interest in this one? Odds on the over/under 15+ years to completion for the ferry? I’m hoping under but betting over. North Market still on my mind.

IMG_1892.jpeg

IMG_1888.jpeg

IMG_1889.jpeg

IMG_1891.jpeg

All this attention on magic thinking for bridges and gondolas, and tunnels- nobody thinking- geez, maybe better ferries and actually rebuild the terminal as was initially planned. Great shots btw.

Speaking of which... what's that big ferry on the end on the left of the picture. I don't think I've seen that run and it looks a lot bigger than the ones we go across on.

Reactions: max
Sort of off-topic, but the ferry terminal should really be Presto-i enjoyed reading the discussion on this project here some good points made.

while on this topic, i thought i’d note a few thoughts on this

1. we do need new ferries, but i think it’s crazy how much we are spending for electric ferries when it’s such a short ride. but are electric ferries really necessary for such a short trip. i know our leadership is more concerned with being on (what they see) as the right side of woke but i do not want to see property tax increases as insane as they were this year just so they can feel they are being good citizens. if they feel a two min ferry ride is creting too much carbon thst we need electric ones, maybebJustin can agree to not get on a plane for two weeks, with the amount of flights he takes, it would more than offset any carbon footprint

2.i really like the idea of making the ferry terminal more useful and beautiful. if condo i think we should expand it to go to Ontario Place and Scarborough bluffs ( which are brutal to get to without a car now)

the money saved on scrapping electric ferries probably fund this.

i apologize for being political in this post i don’t mean to offend anyone

scrapped from the final planss.s

i'll say it again, i also think the ferries should serve ONtario Place and Scarborough bluffs too. i know ontario place will have a subway stop but iMagine how fabulous it qould bw be riding on the water to see a concert at bud stage on a summer night.

Last edited:
scrapped from the final planss.s

i'll say it again, i also think the ferries should serve ONtario Place and Scarborough bluffs too. i know ontario place will have a subway stop but iMagine how fabulous it qould bw be riding on the water to see a concert at bud stage on a summer night.
I don't know the business model of this. But Vancouver's sea taxi service is wonderful. You pay a fare by distance to go to various destinations

@PL1 @irishboy @Dan416

Until 1962 the Ferries were run by the TTC.

At that time control was shifted to then Metro Parks.

Time to un-do that move. Not that the TTC has been an exemplar of good management in the post Byford years..........but Parks has problems on another level.

Back