Toronto Jack Layton Ferry Terminal and Harbour Square Park | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Saw a picture of a revamped Yonge & QQ yesterday, thought it looked nice then realized- oh that would mean a new path through the Ferry Terminal- wait is that still a thing? Then went through the Retail Review and noted it was listed as “past redesign not funded”.

Totally forgot this project existed- but it must be way down on the priority list now, right? I mean, tis the season for monthly BlogTO articles about seasonal overcrowding but it’s Eastern LRT extension over Ferry terminal, right?

Saw a picture of a revamped Yonge & QQ yesterday, thought it looked nice then realized- oh that would mean a new path through the Ferry Terminal- wait is that still a thing? Then went through the Retail Review and noted it was listed as “past redesign not funded”.

Totally forgot this project existed- but it must be way down on the priority list now, right? I mean, tis the season for monthly BlogTO articles about seasonal overcrowding but it’s Eastern LRT extension over Ferry terminal, right?
Part of funding was to come from redevelopment of the Harbour Castle hotel conference centre block. That is on hold so ..... (This is also why there is even less funding for the LRT link to Union Station improvements as that development would have helped THAT project too. )

I think the Westin Harbour Castle changed ownership a couple of years ago and now the $50 million interior renovation is underway. Maybe the convention center won’t be too far behind and then Jack Layton Ferry Terminal and the park. Maybe the current Mayor has more of an interest in this one? Odds on the over/under 15+ years to completion for the ferry? I’m hoping under but betting over. North Market still on my mind.

IMG_1892.jpeg

IMG_1888.jpeg

IMG_1889.jpeg

IMG_1891.jpeg

All this attention on magic thinking for bridges and gondolas, and tunnels- nobody thinking- geez, maybe better ferries and actually rebuild the terminal as was initially planned. Great shots btw.

Speaking of which... what's that big ferry on the end on the left of the picture. I don't think I've seen that run and it looks a lot bigger than the ones we go across on.

Reactions: max
That's the boat that sank the first Captain John's restaurant. They call her the Trillium

Interesting history for sure:

In 1910, Trillium helped douse a fire on the harbourfront.[10] Toronto Ferry Company owner Lol Solman operated the hose himself from the second level of Trillium to douse the flames at the Niagara dock.[11]

In 1911, Trillium ran aground while on her return from a lacrosse match.[20] The ferry Island Queen took off 600 passengers, then ran aground herself. Launches, sailboats, rowboats and canoes had to come to the rescue of the 2,000 stranded people.[20] That year the water level of Lake Ontario was the lowest it had been since 1874.[20]

On July 15, 1916 at 3pm, the Trillium was docking at Hanlan's Point dock to discharge passengers going to a baseball game. As it was docking, it created a side-wash that overcame and capsized a canoe being paddled by couple Sam Sniderman and Rose Ezrin nearby. By the time people could reach the scene, the couple had disappeared underwater and drowned. Their bodies were found within minutes but could not be revived.[21]

Trillium collided with the former MS Normac in 1981.[22][23] Normac, a former Great Lakes passenger vessel had been converted to Captain John's Harbour Boat Restaurant, and had been permanently moored in the Yonge Street slip since 1970. A mechanical failure caused Trillium to fail before colliding with the restaurant. The restaurant developed a slow leak, which caused her to sink two weeks later.

A 29-year-old man drowned after jumping off Trillium while attending the 1993 Caribana festival. He jumped off at 11 pm on July 29, telling friends that he would meet them on shore at Ontario Place. Trillium was about 300 feet (91 m) from shore. Police recovered his body on July 30.[24] The victim's mother was hurt by speculation about his sobriety.[25]

Back