Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Transit is a big issues in 'sauga and Bonnie's plan is meant to appeal to voters. I read in the the Star she wanted to add an express bus to Burnhamthorpe Rd. Personally, I'm all for an express bus on Burnhamthorpe. My commute will be a lot quicker.

Probably because she has no jurisdiction over what Brampton does. Ideally though, Brampton not only gets the LRT but it's continued north of downtown to at least Bovaird.

If Brampton is her concern/issue, why stop it at Derry which is well short of, both, the "border" and the yard.....so her plan would include tracks to the 407......but no revenue service?

This is either intentional and someone has to ask her why OR she does not know where the yard is and someone has to ask her why OR she is planning on moving the yard and someone needs to ask her where.

This is either intentional and someone has to ask her why OR she does not know where the yard is and someone has to ask her why OR she is planning on moving the yard and someone needs to ask her where.
OR the plan is diagrammatic, and such details are frankly inconsequential at this time, and will be clearly hammered out after the election.

OR the plan is diagrammatic, and such details are frankly inconsequential at this time, and will be clearly hammered out after the election.

I get that sometimes is the case in political transit maps......but the choice of Derry seems very intentional as she includes a proposed rapid transit line along Derry and the dotted blue lines N/E/W of the intersection of Hurontario and Derry all get the same description "possible extension of Hurontario LRT" (of course the official working name of the line is Hurontario-Main LRT" but she has dropped the Main).

Saw this in another thread but it relates here......

One of the leading candidates for Mayor in Mississauga would seemingly stop the Hurontario LRT at Derry Road

http://bonniecrombie.ca/latest-news...ombie-announces-ambitious-rapid-transit-plan/

That's because Brampton's council has flip-flopped on the LRT through it's city, and Mississauga will likely be going at it alone for now. The LRT stopping at Derry, and connecting with a Derry LRT or BRT is a much better plan for Mississauga residents, as it connects two major employment centres (Meadowvale and Airport Corporate Centre), it provides rapid transit to the airport, and it provides service to Malton, which is severely under served in Mississauga.

That's because Brampton's council has flip-flopped on the LRT through it's city, and Mississauga will likely be going at it alone for now. The LRT stopping at Derry, and connecting with a Derry LRT or BRT is a much better plan for Mississauga residents, as it connects two major employment centres (Meadowvale and Airport Corporate Centre), it provides rapid transit to the airport, and it provides service to Malton, which is severely under served in Mississauga.

If she wins....and a pro LRT candidate for Mayor in Brampton wins it will be interesting to see what ML does.....at the open houses I attended the ML reps were seriously pushing the value of connecting to the Brampton GO station for this line (even when I pointed out that their own ridership projections for the Brampton section which were based on very (X10) optimistic assumptions could be handled by a VIVA style BRT they said "it is not about ridership it is about connectivity").

(BTW Brampton has not flip flopped....at the first opportunity they had to vote a majority of council voted against the Mayor and all they voted to do was defer a decision while they looked at alternate routes)

If she wins....and a pro LRT candidate for Mayor in Brampton wins it will be interesting to see what ML does.....at the open houses I attended the ML reps were seriously pushing the value of connecting to the Brampton GO station for this line (even when I pointed out that their own ridership projections for the Brampton section which were based on very (X10) optimistic assumptions could be handled by a VIVA style BRT they said "it is not about ridership it is about connectivity").

(BTW Brampton has not flip flopped....at the first opportunity they had to vote a majority of council voted against the Mayor and all they voted to do was defer a decision while they looked at alternate routes)

I agree, connecting to the GO station would be the best option, as at the end of the day, you do want the LRT connecting major nodes. If Brampton doesn't move forward, or isn't ready to move forward, I think changing the node to the ACC/Pearson would be the best option. Brampton can continue sending buses down to Derry Road to connect with the LRT there (Which also provides convenient access from Brampton to the Airport)

looks like a map not reflecting what she is thinking.....not sure how candidates get into this sort of mess (but lots do!)

Bonnie Crombie ‏@BonnieCrombie

@TOareaFan No, the Hurontario LRT will travel from the Port Credit Go train to Brampton.

I agree, connecting to the GO station would be the best option, as at the end of the day, you do want the LRT connecting major nodes. If Brampton doesn't move forward, or isn't ready to move forward, I think changing the node to the ACC/Pearson would be the best option. Brampton can continue sending buses down to Derry Road to connect with the LRT there (Which also provides convenient access from Brampton to the Airport)

It is really quite funny........as most know...I have long held that the best thing would be LRT from MCC to PC and full BRT north to Brampton.....then people here started swaying me on the whole connectivity thing and that, combined with the yard location, had me softening my position on that.....then when GO indicated that Mt. Pleasant was likely going to be the hub station on the KW RER service (meaning that no trains from west of MtP would stop at the DT Brampton station) I again started doubting the true value of this connectivity and am back to thinking the best/most cost effective plan would be LRT in the south part of this line and BRT in the north (of course it still would mean a better location for the yard would be needed).

It is really quite funny........as most know...I have long held that the best thing would be LRT from MCC to PC and full BRT north to Brampton.....then people here started swaying me on the whole connectivity thing and that, combined with the yard location, had me softening my position on that.....then when GO indicated that Mt. Pleasant was likely going to be the hub station on the KW RER service (meaning that no trains from west of MtP would stop at the DT Brampton station) I again started doubting the true value of this connectivity and am back to thinking the best/most cost effective plan would be LRT in the south part of this line and BRT in the north (of course it still would mean a better location for the yard would be needed).

From Port Credit GO, to the Cooksville GO, to the MCC, up to Derry, across Derry to the Malton GO, then south a few blocks to Pearson. I'm sure they could find a service yard along Derry someplace, even on a corner of the Pearson lands. That would give Mississauga direct transit access to Pearson and the KW GO line at Malton. It would also open up development potential all along Derry Road.

Of course a more direct route would be along Eglinton where it could meet up with an extended Crosstown line at Renforth, then proceed north to the Pearson terminal, and possibly the Malton GO. Then Züm could run a BRT from MCC to Snelgrove at their leisure.

Last edited:
^is there a lot of development potential along Derry?

It's mostly low-rise industrial. Large plots of land which are easitly devloped (if zoning changes are pre-approved). A lot easier than other areas where you have smaller plots of residential land which need to be cobbled together.

But....
- The development potential cannot be vertical closer to the Airport
- The airport goes against the south-side of Derry (no development but the good news is that the LRT can run south of Derry here so fairly cheap to build)
- at Tomken there is a big cemetary which is not developable
- GTA would lose employment land (unless they have tight controls on the ratio of commercial vs residential development)

In Metrolinx' Dec 11 meeting, there's a small update:

On September 10, 2014, Brampton City Council passed a motion directing the project team that the alignment in the approved EPR not be studied any further and that other alignments north of Steeles Avenue be investigated. Current information shared with Metrolinx indicates a possible below-grade option along Hurontario Street will be the preferred alternative. Staff have been directed to return to Council as soon as possible with an assessment of alternative alignments and include input from consultations and ongoing planning studies for the downtown and central areas in Brampton. Staff anticipate a presentation to Council in March 2015.

Subways subways subways!

Back