Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

We can just prevent through movement for cars, and the volume of car traffic will be minimal. And if that volume is minimal and low speed it can be shared bicycle street/bike lanes.pave the vehicle lanes with bumpy pavers and make the centre part smooth for bikes. Cars will drive slowly then.
The City of Brampton used the magic of "modeling" to argue that if they do the surface option it will take over 20 minutes to drive the 3 kilometres from Highway 10 and Steeles to Brampton GO, and that is why they need the tunnel.
Living close to a GO station doesn't mean people will automatically give up their cars and change their lifestyle. I have a coworker who lives in the new rental building across the street from Brampton GO and he's never taken the train. Infact he told me he's trying to get a second parking spot for his fiancee but the building managment is being difficult.

I knew people who lived in the apartments by Port Credit GO and rarely ever took the train. Except to maybe go catch a Blue Jays Game.

EDIT: And just so we're clear. I reside in Oakville, but I live in a studio apartment. Not a SFH with a 2 car garage. I need the winning lotto max numbers.
You may not be aware of this, but Brampton Transit ridership is growing extremely rapidly, and proposed buildings will not include car parking for most residents. Most more recent applications are coming in at under 0.5 or even 0.4 Resident car parking spaces.
The billion dollar tunnel exists only to preserve car lanes. It is therefore car infrastructure. Spending a billion dollars for a few kilometers of car lanes in sleepy downtown Brampton is crazy.
This isn't about car lanes, this is about extracting ungodly amount of money from the province, to show how much you are getting for the City.

Remember, the ones approving this need to get elected next election. So, removing car lanes will not go over well with some of their voters. I am guessing that is a higher amount of voters than the ones apposing the tunnel.

@michael_can on one page you’re blame bureaucracy for making a new downtown, on another that the government gives downtown the funds and everyone else scraps, but here you acknowledge that perhaps it’s the voters who are making the government choose one form of transit over the other. It’s never one or the other. It’s a bad combination of the two which got us here.

Last edited:
Reactions: T3G
The City of Brampton used the magic of "modeling" to argue that if they do the surface option it will take over 20 minutes to drive the 3 kilometres from Highway 10 and Steeles to Brampton GO, and that is why they need the tunnel.

You may not be aware of this, but Brampton Transit ridership is growing extremely rapidly, and proposed buildings will not include car parking for most residents. Most more recent applications are coming in at under 0.5 or even 0.4 Resident car parking spaces.

This isn't about car lanes, this is about extracting ungodly amount of money from the province, to show how much you are getting for the City.

What's your concern with the modeling that was done? I would have to assume that staff used industry standards and wouldn't have unprofessionally tried to skew the numbers.

@michael_can on one page you’re blame bureaucracy for making a new downtown, on another that the government gives downtown the funds and everyone else scraps, but here you acknowledge that perhaps it’s the voters who are making the government choose one form of transit over the other. It’s never one or the other. It’s a bad combination of the two which got us here.
Bureaucracy is a fickle thing. The same that do good also do evil. The same that do evil, also do good. The questions is it more good than evil. That metric is best seen over decades instead of months or years. We can point to bad things that turned out to be good in the long run. We cal also point out seemingly good things that have ended up being a problem. This is why I feel politicians are like baby's diapers and need to be changed often for the very same reason.

Feb 23
I counted a dozen dump trucks from Elm Dr to Matthew Gates while on my way to pick up a car. I thought they were for the work at Brunhamthorpe that was to be excavated by excavator in place of been mill. I then looked to the southside of Elm to see the trucks were for the milling machine that was moving north toward Elm. The guideway had been milled from the south end of the ESSO station to where the milling machine was. Cannot do to Fairview as it still not ready. The south side of Fairview to the second driveway is ready to be open and it will be a few more months before the work is done to the CP bridge.

Driving north on Hurontario to Brampton, work was taking place on both sides of Hurontario from Hillcrest to Fairview. Excavation was taking place at Burnhamthorpe for the guideway and could see if the pipe was still there or it had been removed.

Concrete was being poured to anchor the tracks in place at Robert Speck. The driveway intersection for the two plazas is now open. Lots of concrete forming is taking place as well as pouring in various areas. Still pouring concrete for the track up to the 401.

Lots of track work is still not done south of the 401, on the 401 overpass as well as up to Courtney Park. Still missing poles for the OS with a few having brackets on them, but setup. Some have the tension system on them.

Derry Station is missing the top section on the east side with glazing in place for two of the four openings as two will allow riders to walk from one side to the other side of the platform. The west side of the electrical cabinet has Derry on it as well pointing strips to the south as the directions of the Line. I have no idea at this time if the stripping will be the same as the west side or will be opposite of it.

Crews working on the guideway between Topflight and the crossover track. No work has taken place on both crossovers since I last saw them

White poles have been installed on Topflight as well up to the 407 terminal with a fair number still having to be installed.

Saw no work on the 407 bridge.

Lots of waterline and other utilizes work taking place with the street close at the police station.

Work is taking place at the bus terminal with the platforms out on the road and I am not sure if this part of the LRT works or part of the city work. The last time I saw the area, the work was north of the terminal.

I posted in another posting regarding Brampton Downtown plan as I wanted to make sure what I know of the area is correct.

OMSF
The fencing is almost in place for the OMSF with a few missing sections that will be done next week. The gate still needs to be installed. The only change I saw from my January visit was the two opposite direction signal mast going to/from the yard and the service bays.

As @KevinT noted when he passe the yard on the 407 that the OS was in place, and the OS has been strung to the brackets that have been in fully in place since Dec as well in January. January visited show the signs that the OS was to be strung and it is now. Able to move a car around the yard if the line is power as well when the first car shows up. Getting out the 407 terminal will be the next step for the OS.

It well be a few days before stuff is uploaded to my site as I have 230 in front of them from Feb 22 to number and be uploaded. A few previews.
View attachment 543106View attachment 543109
View attachment 543110
I was at Square One today, probably the first time in 30 years, getting a ‘Simons’ fix. Took the opportunity to drive south along 10 to connect with the QEW. This is one large construction site, but no track in site anywhere. Lots of work going on today. But this project has a long way to go yet. I am not sure what Drum has predicted as a completion date, but I am thinking his dates make more sense then the builders.

The other thing I noticed was the ongoing installation of high voltage carrying utility poles on the west side of 10. Is this replacement for the existing lines on the east side of 10 (and on slightly smaller poles) or a doubling of the lines? And why? Especially as the entire length of Hurontario is one large construction site, are these lines ( existing, new or replacement) not going underground? It’s ridiculously awful from any vantage point. Is it because we are too lazy as Joe Q Public to require better? Lazy politics? Lazy planning? Or lazy and inept hydro planning?

You see it in Toronto all the time (it sticks out around The Well currently) and it’s just gross.

I was at Square One today, probably the first time in 30 years, getting a ‘Simons’ fix. Took the opportunity to drive south along 10 to connect with the QEW. This is one large construction site, but no track in site anywhere. Lots of work going on today. But this project has a long way to go yet. I am not sure what Drum has predicted as a completion date, but I am thinking his dates make more sense then the builders.

The other thing I noticed was the ongoing installation of high voltage carrying utility poles on the west side of 10. Is this replacement for the existing lines on the east side of 10 (and on slightly smaller poles) or a doubling of the lines? And why? Especially as the entire length of Hurontario is one large construction site, are these lines ( existing, new or replacement) not going underground? It’s ridiculously awful from any vantage point. Is it because we are too lazy as Joe Q Public to require better? Lazy politics? Lazy planning? Or lazy and inept hydro planning?

You see it in Toronto all the time (it sticks out around The Well currently) and it’s just gross.
I have heard mid 2025 for completion and this winter is saving their beacon that it maybe earlier. Ford needs to cut the ribbon for line to go into 2026 saying look at I have done for transit. Sept 2024 was to be opening day then substantial completion was to be before the end of the year to 2025 now. As to when the line will see service, it could be by the end of 2025 or early 2026. I don't expect to see the Brampton extension open until 2027-30 depending on updating the EA as well as how the extension will be built and by who. The loop may open at the same time as the current line, but most likely in 2026/27 since there is no EA for it as well going to Confederation Dr. Again, who is to build it or how will the 30-year contract be amended to allow the building of the extensions?

The hydro cost was supposed to be too high to bury it like it should have been in the first place. The part you saw has been done twice with the first ones been moved to the east and the second one with increasing the height of the poles another 15 feet. I don't know if the increase of height has to do with the LRT line or hydro. I don't know of any place where poles have been raised for LRT/streetcar line. If hydro has requested the poles to be taller, it most likely due to see more power lines added to the poles over time since the city will need more power come 2040-50 on its way in seeing 1.3 million living and working in the city.

I have not seen any notices for the completion of the guideway from the Queensway to PC station, but the guideway from Eglinton to the Queensway is to be done by year end.

What's your concern with the modeling that was done? I would have to assume that staff used industry standards and wouldn't have unprofessionally tried to skew the numbers.
Staff used the industry standard model for justifying a road widening, even though staff professes to believe in traffic evaporation. Once it hits 20 minutes to get from Steeles to Downtown, it would be vastly faster to bypass downtown such as using Steeles to Kennedy to Vodden, or Kennedy to Williams Parkway back to Main.

Some shots of Line 10 in Mississauga from today:

Topflight/Hurontario:
1709506821968.jpeg

Topflight:
1709506848593.jpeg

1709506878005.jpeg

1709506898420.jpeg

MSF connector:
1709506936448.jpeg

1709506963308.jpeg

Derry/Hurontario stop:
1709507006032.jpeg