Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Oh boy! Here we go.
Did I state something inaccurate. And I expect the further you go out the more car dependant a person to be. People with SFH and two car garages of course are going to be worried about road space. But people who buy condos right on top of a GO train station or LRT and in a walkable area are going to need road space a lot less. Will they drive sometimes. Sure. But not nearly as often.

Did I state something inaccurate. And I expect the further you go out the more car dependant a person to be. People with SFH and two car garages of course are going to be worried about road space. But people who buy condos right on top of a GO train station or LRT and in a walkable area are going to need road space a lot less. Will they drive sometimes. Sure. But not nearly as often.

Living close to a GO station doesn't mean people will automatically give up their cars and change their lifestyle. I have a coworker who lives in the new rental building across the street from Brampton GO and he's never taken the train. Infact he told me he's trying to get a second parking spot for his fiancee but the building managment is being difficult.

I knew people who lived in the apartments by Port Credit GO and rarely ever took the train. Except to maybe go catch a Blue Jays Game.

EDIT: And just so we're clear. I reside in Oakville, but I live in a studio apartment. Not a SFH with a 2 car garage. I need the winning lotto max numbers.

Living close to a GO station doesn't mean people will automatically give up their cars and change their lifestyle. I have a coworker who lives in the new rental building across the street from Brampton GO and he's never taken the train. Infact he told me he's trying to get a second parking spot for his fiancee but the building managment is being difficult.

I knew people who lived in the apartments by Port Credit GO and rarely ever took the train. Except to maybe go catch a Blue Jays Game.

EDIT: And just so we're clear. I reside in Oakville, but I live in a studio apartment. Not a SFH with a 2 car garage. I need the winning lotto max numbers.
I’m not the biggest fan of anecdotal evidence. I mean I know people on the other hand who live right beside stations whether go train or subway which rarely use the car. Maybe to buy groceries on the weekend. Everyone’s experiences are different.

I’m not the biggest fan of anecdotal evidence. I mean I know people on the other hand who live right beside stations whether go train or subway which rarely use the car. Maybe to buy groceries on the weekend. Everyone’s experiences are different.
We have a housing shortage. People no longer have the luxury to chose a place that fits their lifestyle. They take whatever they can get and fits their budget.

That's why you see SUV driving, suburbanites moving into condos right beside transit stations, and people without cars living in SFH basements located on suburban streets.

We have a housing shortage. People no longer have the luxury to chose a place that fits their lifestyle. They take whatever they can get and fits their budget.

That's why you see SUV driving, suburbanites moving into condos right beside transit stations, and people without cars living in SFH basements located on suburban streets.
I don’t think the answer to the housing crisis is to encourage more cars on the road in places which should be pedestrian and transit friendly. The answer is to bring jobs to some of these denser locations.

I don’t think the answer to the housing crisis is to encourage more cars on the road in places which should be pedestrian and transit friendly. The answer is to bring jobs to some of these denser locations.
Where did I advocate for more cars on the road? I'm just telling you what I believe is happening right now. A lot of those VMC condos near the subway station are full of people who drive. These are people who make a decent salary but still can't afford detach homes, so opt to rent a condo instead. Lower income people who don't drive are pushed out of these areas near transit because they get priced out and end up living in a basement rentals with roommates.

Where did I advocate for more cars on the road? I'm just telling you what I believe is happening right now. A lot of those VMC condos near the subway station are full of people who drive. These are people who make a decent salary but still can't afford detach homes, so opt to rent a condo instead. Lower income people who don't drive are pushed out of these areas near transit because they get priced out and end up living in a basement rentals with roommates.
You’re advocating for more lanes of traffic in order for cars to move around faster. I would call that cars on the road.

I have been in Toronto for 40 years of my life. I don’t need an explanation of the housing crisis or your take on the housing crisis. It seems odd to me that people would pay a premium to rent or own directly beside transit and never use it. It sounds far more likely that people who will pay more to live closer to transit will use it. But you are acting like your examples are absolutes which makes it difficult to have a discussion.

It seems odd to me that people would pay a premium to rent or own directly beside transit and never use it.
You can find it "odd" all you want, but that's exactly what's going on.

These people would rather spend the extra money to rent out a condo than rent out a basement. They don't care that it's located close to transit.
If anything they probably like having the luxury or option to take transit and convince themselves at some point they'll use it.
You’re advocating for more lanes of traffic in order for cars to move around faster. I would call that cars on the road.
I'm advocating for an underground, transit line. I'm not asking for the road to be widened.

You can find it "odd" all you want, but that's exactly what's going on.

These people would rather spend the extra money to rent out a condo than rent out a basement. They don't care that it's located close to transit.
If anything they probably like having the luxury or option to take transit and convince themselves at some point they'll use it.

I'm advocating for an underground, transit line. I'm not asking for the road to be widened.
If they are paying more to rent beside a transit line for the luxury to use it once in a blue moon, while deciding to spend more money operating an expensive depreciating asset such as a car, then they are not as hard off as you make them sound.

You’re are advocating for this line being underground so that there remains the same amount of lanes for transit. I never suggested you asked for the road to be widened.

Last edited:
Can't be that many given how little parking is being built in those new developments.

The billion dollar tunnel exists only to preserve car lanes. It is therefore car infrastructure. Spending a billion dollars for a few kilometers of car lanes in sleepy downtown Brampton is crazy.

The billion dollar tunnel exists only to preserve car lanes. It is therefore car infrastructure. Spending a billion dollars for a few kilometers of car lanes in sleepy downtown Brampton is crazy.
It would be cheaper to purchase a car as an incentive to boost density for every new condo owner in the Brampton core than to build this billion dollar mistake.

It would be cheaper to purchase a car as an incentive to boost density for every new condo owner in the Brampton core than to build this billion dollar mistake.
I'm not sure what buying everyone a car would achieve.

Back