Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Honestly, if VIA is going to be playing with their locations on LSW moving to Burlington from Aldershot would do a lot more.
Agree. Especially because Burlington will be the end of electrified super-frequent service for GO Expansion. I'd be okay with them adding a West Harbour stop on the Maple Leaf to NYC also in this scenario.

I'm not sure that the numbers should be measured by civic boundaries or municipal rhetoric. Assess the density around Port Credit versus Oakville, consider the last-mile transportation alternatives for each location. Each location has a catchment, and the catchment is not defined by those municipal boundaries.

There's no reason to assume that the Hurontario LRT line will be a step change in the last-mile option for VIA travellers throughout that 828K city. It will for some, especially considering density along Hurontario and south of Dundas generally.....but Highway 403 still gets you to the Oakville station from much of Mississauga also.

I'm not saying that I disagree with Port Credit for VIA, but I'm saying your data point is not that compelling.

- Paul
As someone who lives in MCC along the LRT route I can only speak for myself that the LRT will help my last mile and I would contemplate taking VIA. Currently I just drive to Ottawa or Montreal.

As someone who lives in MCC along the LRT route I can only speak for myself that the LRT will help my last mile and I would contemplate taking VIA. Currently I just drive to Ottawa or Montreal.
If you could take the LRT to a GO station,then take Via, would that still be good for you?

I'm not sure that the numbers should be measured by civic boundaries or municipal rhetoric. Assess the density around Port Credit versus Oakville, consider the last-mile transportation alternatives for each location. Each location has a catchment, and the catchment is not defined by those municipal boundaries.

There's no reason to assume that the Hurontario LRT line will be a step change in the last-mile option for VIA travellers throughout that 828K city. It will for some, especially considering density along Hurontario and south of Dundas generally.....but Highway 403 still gets you to the Oakville station from much of Mississauga also.

I'm not saying that I disagree with Port Credit for VIA, but I'm saying your data point is not that compelling.

- Paul
The qew gets much of Oakville to port credit.

You want me to transfer twice with luggage because you believe trains, a form of transit, should cater to the car with huge kiss and rides?
We have done it a few times and its a pain as long as VIA has had a station in Oakville. Lot better than going all the way into Toronto to get a VIA train with no station in Oakville

Kiss and hugs can be done at PC.

Once PC LRT station opens with the LRT bring more riders to GO and VIA, maybe in the long run, VIA may look at station for PC considering the size of the city now, let alone 10-20 years down the road, PC had an train station at one time.

We have done it a few times and its a pain as long as VIA has had a station in Oakville. Lot better than going all the way into Toronto to get a VIA train with no station in Oakville

Kiss and hugs can be done at PC.

Once PC LRT station opens with the LRT bring more riders to GO and VIA, maybe in the long run, VIA may look at station for PC considering the size of the city now, let alone 10-20 years down the road, PC had an train station at one time.
You might know off hand. How many people will live within walking distance of the hurontario LRT?! I tried to quick google and didn’t get much.

You want me to transfer twice with luggage because you believe trains, a form of transit, should cater to the car with huge kiss and rides?

Hmmmm.... if the catchment rule is, no transfers after I leave the VIA station, that rules out a lot of riders in Toronto who may have to take a bus or streetcar after they get off the subway from Union. And do you count Line 1 to Line 2 as a transfer?

There is certainly density along Hurontario, and they will enjoy the direct ride to Port Credit. But I would not presume that all westward passengers whether VIA or GO need to go that way. There may be transit options that are more direct. Mississauga City Center to Oshawa VIA/GO is a potential route. Nobody said anything about kiss and ride.

- Paul

Hmmmm.... if the catchment rule is, no transfers after I leave the VIA station, that rules out a lot of riders in Toronto who may have to take a bus or streetcar after they get off the subway from Union. And do you count Line 1 to Line 2 as a transfer?

There is certainly density along Hurontario, and they will enjoy the direct ride to Port Credit. But I would not presume that all westward passengers whether VIA or GO need to go that way. There may be transit options that are more direct. Mississauga City Center to Oshawa VIA/GO is a potential route. Nobody said anything about kiss and ride.

- Paul
The impression I got from the conversation maybe in my own head was that the Oakville location was preferred because a via station is more like an airport. What I then interpreted was that people thought we needed plenty of parking to serve a via station.

You might know off hand. How many people will live within walking distance of the hurontario LRT?! I tried to quick google and didn’t get much.
Really don't know, but off hand would say no less than 10,000. Best to contact the city as they would know better.

Back