Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I hate to burst bubbles but the LRT will be worse for many riders. Most trips aren't ending or beginning in DT Brampton, this is just going to force transfers. But ey, if it runs on rails it must be better . . .
The bubble being burst are your own as we know there are going to be/or maybe force transferring once the LRT starts service. No one on this board including me who deals with Hurontario LRT monthly has an idea what bus service will look like come 2024 at this time.

As far as I know, both cities do not have a final transit plan in place nor what it will look like and cost at this time. It will happen in 2023 or the beginning of 2024 when funding of bus service on Hurontario will have to go into the 2024 and 25 capital budgets along with the LRT. Both cities will know for a fact what the cost they will have to pay to help run the LRT by the end of 2023.

Mississauga plans to run bus service on Hurontario to service the current stops once the LRT starts and no idea of type of service will be at this time. Then, does the bus stop at 407 like today or will it go to Steeles and getting no idea from the city at this time since they are not sure themselves.

As for Brampton, a guessing game, but expect the 2 to stop at Steeles and maybe 502 as well.

When every the LRT gets built to Brampton GO Stations, the 2 will still run to where it will stop at Steels for the LRT. The 502 will stop at the DT terminal.

Unless the Feds are willing to pickup 66-75% of the cost to build the extension, do not expect to see it in service before 2030 currently. If Brampton is forced to help fund the extension, it will not happen until after 2025 since 2022 and 2026 are election years.

The plain fact is, there will always be some sort of transferring when using transit, but it needs to easy to do without much impact on riders and travel time. You must transfer at Brampton DT to go north or south today and will be the same when LRT comes.

Ridership on the 501 that will see an BRT is less than the 502, 2 and 103 once you get south of the 407. Unless the 501 is carrying 30,000 plus before COVID-19, it does not match the ridership for Mississauga Hurontario ridership before COVID-19 and one reason LRT was chosen since it will support the 75-100,000 daily number by 2040.

I see you prefer rubber wheels over steel wheels that will cost more to run over a 30-year cycle than a LRT. BRT are cheaper to build than an LRT but blown out of the water come to operation cost and handling high ridership.

Do not support making the Brampton Main St downtown to a transit mall nor a one way street, but no on street parking for 4 blocks for it regardless what there today.

Last edited:
I still have yet to see how these LRT proposals are better than Bus Rapid Transit like that being proposed on Queen, along the whole Highway 10 Rapid Transit corridor. The Main Street portion could be implemented quickly, easily, and cheaply with curb side bus lanes from Nanwood to Vodden, like Metrolinx proposes for the downtown portion of the Queen Street BRT.

Once it is time for Downtown Reimagined, create a Transit Mall on Main from Wellington to Theatre Lane, with deliveries permitted between 2 and 4 am. Carve out a flexible space with rolled curbs by St. Paul's and First Baptist Church where a single vehicle can be permitted to be parked for wedding and funeral services.
The whole HuLRT should probably have just been BRT for now. And maybe in another 10 - 20 years put in an elevated SkyTrain.

The whole HuLRT should probably have just been BRT for now. And maybe in another 10 - 20 years put in an elevated SkyTrain.
The NIMBY folks at the south end will send you to the moon for making that proposal since they all ready opposed anything on the surface. Having it elevated will be worse than the surface for them.

Have to laugh in away about the elevated line as it was part of my recommendations back in 2003 that went to council as an option to the LRT plan.

There been calls since 2000's about having a subway on Hurontario as well during the EA process. Even today there are calls for a subway with a councilor leading the way.

The NIMBY folks at the south end will send you to the moon for making that proposal since they all ready opposed anything on the surface. Having it elevated will be worse than the surface for them.

Have to laugh in away about the elevated line as it was part of my recommendations back in 2003 that went to council as an option to the LRT plan.

There been calls since 2000's about having a subway on Hurontario as well during the EA process. Even today there are calls for a subway with a councilor leading the way.
If the NIMBYs want a tunnel, we can use tax increment financing to tunnel in the Port Credit area. Most of Hurontario is not very precious. It's a highway!

If the NIMBYs want a tunnel, we can use tax increment financing to tunnel in the Port Credit area. Most of Hurontario is not very precious. It's a highway!
I am talking about Brampton, not Port Credit and should have been more clear on it.

Hurontario is a highway and would been a lot more if the 1980's plan live. Hurontario ROW is for a 9 lanes of traffic and a bitch at 7 today as per the 1980's report I saw over a decade ago. One reason why the city has been pushing the LRT to remove lanes of traffic.

Even Burhamthrope and Eglinton were to see extra lanes to the point the city said no to expanding Burhamthrope east of Hurontario a number of years ago. The city then called for Burhamthrope to be reduced by 3 lanes west of Hurontario until the LRT Loop surface. Given the amount of traffic off peak and weekends, the roads are too wide today to meet the needs for them in the first place.

I am talking about Brampton, not Port Credit and should have been more clear on it.

Hurontario is a highway and would been a lot more if the 1980's plan live. Hurontario ROW is for a 9 lanes of traffic and a bitch at 7 today as per the 1980's report I saw over a decade ago. One reason why the city has been pushing the LRT to remove lanes of traffic.

Even Burhamthrope and Eglinton were to see extra lanes to the point the city said no to expanding Burhamthrope east of Hurontario a number of years ago. The city then called for Burhamthrope to be reduced by 3 lanes west of Hurontario until the LRT Loop surface. Given the amount of traffic off peak and weekends, the roads are too wide today to meet the needs for them in the first place.
If Brampton is the concern, I would actually be supportive of tunnel/cut and cover for a few hundred meters in the downtown area. But a tunnel for a slow surface LRT is ludicrous.

I could say the same about the "LRTs LRTs LRTs" rhetoric.
You’re right. We should have built a subway in Kitchener. And Hamilton should skip their brt plans and go straight to subway. And damn it hurontario is home to three go stations two which will have underground lrt stations so why not make the entire thing a subway. None of these lrt plans make any sense.

And damn it hurontario is home to three go stations two which will have underground lrt stations
Hasn't been decided if the station at Brampton will be underground. And is Port Credit Station really fully underground? I see it as a station located under the GO Rail corridor/half-underground

1615603479457.png

1615603504891.png

You’re right. We should have built a subway in Kitchener. And Hamilton should skip their brt plans and go straight to subway. And damn it hurontario is home to three go stations two which will have underground lrt stations so why not make the entire thing a subway. None of these lrt plans make any sense.
Hamilton was the original city meant for showcasing the linear induction technology (Scarborough RT/Skytrain) but the city and community rejected it in the 1970s.
Through 1973-77, the debate raged and several alternative plans were touted. The monorail proposal continued unbuilt, as did all of the alternative proposals, touted by opponents, despite a Provincial offer to pay 75 percent of any transit plan.

Hamilton could have been Vancouver. (they approved the system while Hamilton was dithering, so the equipment was shipped over from Hamilton to Vancouver.)

But here we are.

Last edited:
If ICTS was built in Hamilton, it would've crumbled apart a lot quicker than it did in Toronto. So in a way, they actually saved themselves...from themselves. Hamilton has hacked it's transit service apart like no tomorrow, and is the only system in the GTAH with declining ridership numbers.

But I digress we're talking about Mississauga here. Elevated rail would have been far more appropriate for Hurontario compared to this on-street LRT we're getting here, however, ICTS would've been a big mistake. The climate here is really not suitable for it, unless you put it underground.

Back