Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Ever since I saw Places to Grow, I thought it was a mistake not to reconize Port Credit as an urban growth centre, even if it was only at the growth targets set out for the smaller cities like Galt and Brantford (even though it could easily handle the standard ones).

What I don't understand is how Port Credit isn't an Urban Growth Centre. It's more urban than MCC.

There are no plans for urban intensification to the level of MCC and it's surroundings, for Port Credit. I think the city wants to keep the village feel for as long as possible there. I don't blame them. Leave the intensification for the areas shown in the map above.

There's already plenty of apartments in Port Credit. I never said we needed high-rises, although I'm not opposed to them. Intensification does not equal high-rises. We could built a lot more mid-rises in Port Credit than it currently has. The FRAM development is a great example to follow for new Port Credit development.

Just develop Lakeshore Blvd east of Port Credit, eventually all the way to Long Branch. It's a natural future LRT corridor too!

There's already plenty of apartments in Port Credit. I never said we needed high-rises, although I'm not opposed to them. Intensification does not equal high-rises. We could built a lot more mid-rises in Port Credit than it currently has. The FRAM development is a great example to follow for new Port Credit development.

If you're talking to me, I never said anything about high rises. I simply stated the level of intensification for MCC is not the plan for Port Credit.

If you're talking to me, I never said anything about high rises. I simply stated the level of intensification for MCC is not the plan for Port Credit.

MCC has high rises. So I assumed that's what you were referring to.

The level of intensification in Port Credit is fine, it is the part of corridor of north of Port Credit and south of the QEW that is the biggest question.

On the map Drum118 posted, you can see that The City classifies this as a "stable" part of the Hurontario corridor, which is just a joke. If anything, it is probably the most unstable part of the corridor. But whatever, the city is just trying to satisfy the NIMBYs, and it is just not possible to reason with a NIMBY.

On the map Drum118 posted, you can see that The City classifies this as a "stable" part of the Hurontario corridor, which is just a joke. If anything, it is probably the most unstable part of the corridor. But whatever, the city is just trying to satisfy the NIMBYs, and it is just not possible to reason with a NIMBY.

Er...yes, maybe it's "unstable" in being immediately lined by McMansion flotsam old, new, and future with a few doctors office'n'whatnot adaptations and insertions. But you seriously have to consider what this stretch is neighboured by: middle-and-upper-class single-family affluenza, especially in the Kenollie zone to the west. It's by far the most affluent hinterland which Hurontario passes through. Dismiss them as NIMBY if you must, but--really, when it comes to *this* stretch, arbitrary sod-you urban-intensification truly would come off as the silliest form of urbanistically-correct kill-the-rich hubris. The optics would be like forcing a Minto-scale tower complex upon Yonge + Roxborough, never mind Yonge + Eglinton...

I grew up in Mineola West. I went to Kenollie. It's a beautiful area, bounded by the Credit River on the west, the train tracks to the south (beyond which lies Port Credit), and Hurontario on the east. Personally, I wouldn't object to some mid-rises along Hurontario where all those silly little doctor's offices are. Certainly not a place for high-rises though. And not huge intensification either. It'll stay single-family McMansions on the west side for the foreseeable future.

For a HRT subway along Hurontario to be viable, Mississauga and Brampton needs high-rises huddled around the stations. For a LRT, mid-rises could be feasible developed along the route, with high-rises at the GO stations.

I'd hope that no one would seriously consider demolishing the heritage estates lining Hurontario from the GO tracks to the QEW (ditto Old Brampton from Nanwood to Vodden). These areas give the corridor charm and character in ways ugly concrete drab exteriors simply cannot.

Hurontario HRT sounds intriguing on paper but the ridership levels, especially those north of Eglinton do not warrant it for another several decades. I would however not mind if the LRT were somehow built to be grade-separated through the MCC and Downtown Brampton as not to disrupt traffic flow nor transit headways.

Hurontario HRT sounds intriguing on paper but the ridership levels, especially those north of Eglinton do not warrant it for another several decades.

Personal experience leads me to disagree. Boarding start to drop off north of Eglinton, but buses remain full. It's not uncommon for southbound buses to leave Shoppers World doors closed.

^ That's because of the way MT has split the service. The buses probably (hopefully) won't be nearly as full when the 102 starts service next month.

Er...yes, maybe it's "unstable" in being immediately lined by McMansion flotsam old, new, and future with a few doctors office'n'whatnot adaptations and insertions. But you seriously have to consider what this stretch is neighboured by: middle-and-upper-class single-family affluenza, especially in the Kenollie zone to the west. It's by far the most affluent hinterland which Hurontario passes through. Dismiss them as NIMBY if you must, but--really, when it comes to *this* stretch, arbitrary sod-you urban-intensification truly would come off as the silliest form of urbanistically-correct kill-the-rich hubris. The optics would be like forcing a Minto-scale tower complex upon Yonge + Roxborough, never mind Yonge + Eglinton...

There definitely should not be high-rises, but the area really should be redeveloped, and I don't see anything wrong with low-rises or mid-rises.

I'd hope that no one would seriously consider demolishing the heritage estates lining Hurontario from the GO tracks to the QEW (ditto Old Brampton from Nanwood to Vodden). These areas give the corridor charm and character in ways ugly concrete drab exteriors simply cannot.

All new buildings have concrete exteriors?

The downtown Mississauga plan for the Hurontario LRT:

Downtown%2021%20Transit%20Plan.jpg

Disappointing that they want the LRT to veer off of Hurontario.

Back