Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I'm all for a Milton line diversion to Square One provided it doesn't cause the elimination of the Erindale stop.

It wouldn't even necessarily even need to move at all.

There is the potential to have the Square One branch run under Burnhamthorpe west of Square One to the GO station. It's not the cheapest alignment, but it maximizes the existing facilities. It's one of many options on the table.

Also, we might not have to move Cooksville. A walkway could connect the existing GO platforms with the new REX platforms either across the street or underground. Again, one of many options on the table.

There is the potential to have the Square One branch run under Burnhamthorpe west of Square One to the GO station. It's not the cheapest alignment, but it maximizes the existing facilities. It's one of many options on the table.

Also, we might not have to move Cooksville. A walkway could connect the existing GO platforms with the new REX platforms either across the street or underground. Again, one of many options on the table.

Quite right, RedRocket. It's the concept that makes sense, the actual alignment is less important (but should be assessed on both cost and effectiveness).

I'm all for a Milton line diversion to Square One provided it doesn't cause the elimination of the Erindale stop.

If the line branch by Hurontario and 403, Erindale will be miss.

To get the branch under Hurontario, the ramp to the tunnel will have to start at Dundas and only for a single track using 2% grade for double deck cars. Using single level cars that car run on the surface of Hurontario, you still need to built a ramp, but it will start further west of Dundas.

The best location for a stop between Cooksville GO and Sq One is Elm Dr since it has the 3rd largest trip generator south of Sq One. Hillcrest and Dundas are the other 2 with Dundas as #1.

Unless Burnhamthrope 26 bypass Sq One and stay on Burnhamthrope, ridership for a station will be low as it ranks 7th for stops on 19 south section. When the Ma's come on line, ridership may support a station.

I know there has been talk about building a hub at Burnhamthrope and Hurontario in the south-east corner, but have a problem with this as it will require to many extra transfers as well having the condo's owners bitch about since it will be right next to them.

When you look at cost as well trip generator, Erindale falls off the table for building it underground. Also, the station is on a curb and this will require the tunnel to turn south around Mavis to try to line up with the curb tracks as well get room for a grade. I will not support this alignment. I will support the 403 alignment.

You only need a walkway to connect the 2 Cooksville stations.

To do what you said will require expropriation's of industrial business and the city not prepared to loose them. Also, will effect the existing grade crossing let along if they are grade separation crossing because of the grade. You either run the the branch line as a stub or the 403 route.

Since Sq One will be the real trip generator, then a stub becomes the main choice since it will generate more ridership than the other stations to the west in the long run. This could be the CrossTown line train as one train or another will require riders to transfer from one line to the other line.

Here's a very rough map to give people an idea of this diversion. It moves Cooksville station on the premise that there's nothing right at Cooksville station, and most of its riders could conveniently access the new Hurontario station. Alternatively, with a sharper curve swinging west of Hurontario, it should be possible to build a station just across the road from existing station.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?ie=UT....583624,-79.648561&spn=0.033076,0.082569&z=14

Of if it dipped underground a bit sooner, it could run under Kirwin Ave, curve onto Hurontario, and still serve Cooksville station. It could make use of the existing parking lots for parking or development.

You could have the curves wide enough to handle them, but why not DMUs or EMUs running every 5-10 minutes, making it comparable to a subway?

During the peak periods, or hourly less frequent express service to Milton, GO monster trains can continue to use the existing CP corridor.

What are DMUs and EMUs? I assume D = diesel and E = electric? I don't think anyone would argue with frequency of 5-10 minutes.

I imagine a currrent GO train with bilevels couldn't handle those curves?

Please visit the site and not look at the map to see what can or cannot be done as well what impact doing will have for this area doing it.

The current equipment will not handle any curbs off the current line as what been talk about.

There is a hydro sub station on the north-east side of the tracks. It next to townhouses. Removing the townhouses next to Hurontario would not be a bad thing, but that a large complex to redevelop and a lot NIMBY.

Look up and see what the radius would have to be to take the current equipment under Hurontario to Sq One.

If you are talking DMU's/EMU's/LRT's, the radius become smaller but will still have a major impact on the area.

Even if you ran off the CP line and onto Hurontario St surface, there will still be a major issue there.

What are DMUs and EMUs? I assume D = diesel and E = electric? I don't think anyone would argue with frequency of 5-10 minutes.

Yep. Electric Multiple Units and Diesel Multiple Units. With EMUs, acceleration and deceleration times would be short, and could run at close proximity to each other, so 5 minute service would be easily feasible. I would expect frequencies to be responsive to demand, where 5 minutes in peak and 10 minutes off peak (perhaps going to 15-20 minutes in late evenings and early weekend mornings) would be very realistic. BART, RER, some of the S-Bahn routes in Germany, even Washington Metro would be good examples.

You clearly can't run heavy rail on the surface of Hurontario street. The red segment of line on the map is intended to be tunnelled. Some of the curves are quite so sharp on the line only because of the limitations of the drawing software! I would expect that we will have phased out the current cars by the time we build this system, but there's no reasons why large bilevel vehicles couldn't fit. The tunnels should certainly be designed to accommodate them.

The trains can go through very sharp curves, but the problem is that it forces them to slow down and that increases headways. Look at the Richmond Hill line through the Don Valley to see the kinds of curves that trains can handle.

I've done a bit more reflection, and I think a north-south station along Duke of York is best for Square One, as it could connect directly with the busway along Rathburn, and it could have a controlled passageway down to Burnhamthorpe.

The new Erindale station would also have the advantage of a direct connection with the busway.

At least of one station should either connect to CCTT, or a future Hurontario/Rathburn terminal. The latter is probably the best, connecting to both the LRT and BRT at the same time. It is also the cheapest option.

Back